You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dymitri

French DD crates: A brutal insult

36 comments in this topic

[SP]
Members
9 posts
2,175 battles

So.. Since the beginning of the event i've been grinding to get every possible free french dd crate and i've even dumped nearly $60 CDN into buying the premium ones and i've gotten nothing but the tier 5 and tier 6 french dd's.. You need to get the Bayard and all 4 pre-release DD's to finish the event.. Is this a sick joke to get players to dump money or is it actually possible to get these ships. I'm largely miffed at this as i love the play style of the French dd's and wanted to get the Mogador during the event. Would love some input from Wargaming as to why it's so bloody hard to get the ships if this is a pre-release event designed to let players get the ships before full release.. 

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[SP]
Members
9 posts
2,175 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

[hidden]

I'm aware no one's forced me to spend money, as for greed and whatever other [edited] you tossed.. It's called interest in a new part of the game. I don't pay anything for the game so i toss a few bucks at it here and there. I'm familiar with the play style as i play the Khabarovsk line of dd's and don't use smoke and i'm comfortable with that play style. I'm just pointing out the obvious that the rate at which you receive the main rewards is rather poor. Of course, it can all be surmised down to "RNG" but at one point or another, you have to make it attainable if it's the main focus of the damn event..

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
5,184 posts
11,774 battles
11 minutes ago, Dymitri said:

You need to get the Bayard and all 4 pre-release DD's to finish the event

What does "finish the event" mean?  I got lucky and got the Jaguar and Guepard missions from free French crates (no $$ spent), and I have enough Republic tokens to unlock all four Legion of Honor bundles, which would grant me access to the 5th option...

11 minutes ago, Dymitri said:

... and wanted to get the Mogador during the event.  Would love some input from Wargaming as to why it's so bloody hard to get the ships if this is a pre-release event designed to let players get the ships before full release.. 

...but the 5th option only allows you the opportunity to spend 1,000 doubloons at a CHANCE for Mogador.  It could take up to 30 chances for you to actually get it.  Do you really want Mogador (a tech tree ship you can earn when the line is fully released) so badly that you would spend up to 30,000 doubloons for it?!?

Oh, and the pre-release event isn't "designed to let players get the ships before full release".  It is designed to get players to spend $60 CDN.

• Cool 2

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,493 posts
5,599 battles

You got unlucky and clearly did not sacrifice enough victims to the ghost of Charles de Gaulle. I bought one premium crate and got Guepard out of it. I also got the Jaguar out of a free crate, so I'm happy. It's all RNG.

As for your $60 CDN. One puts their money into the proverbial gambling slot machine, one has to accept that they may get screwed.

• Funny 1

[PTRGT]
Members
286 posts
30,776 battles

I don't sweat the early release ship mission's I think in the last 3 or 4 of these type of events I've received 2  boxes with ship missions TOTAL. That tells me the odds are set to get people to spend $$.

These ships are going to be out in a few more weeks so I can play them IF I want to and from what I've seen I don't think I'll be in a rush. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
5,293 posts
3,101 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

What does "finish the event" mean?  I got lucky and got the Jaguar and Guepard missions from free French crates (no $$ spent), and I have enough Republic tokens to unlock all four Legion of Honor bundles, which would grant me access to the 5th option...

...but the 5th option only allows you the opportunity to spend 1,000 doubloons at a CHANCE for Mogador.  It could take up to 30 chances for you to actually get it.  Do you really want Mogador (a tech tree ship you can earn when the line is fully released) so badly that you would spend up to 30,000 doubloons for it?!?

Oh, and the pre-release event isn't "designed to let players get the ships before full release".  It is designed to get players to spend $60 CDN.

I would say it is also designed to reward those with large fleets easy(ier) access to those 30 chances.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,882 posts
7,553 battles
1 minute ago, Dymitri said:

It's called interest in a new part of the game.

And I have the same interest, but some people get lucky and others don't. Some people got lucky and got themselves an early T7 or T8 unlock that made the whole event many times easier for them (especially last week); some people have been playing this game for so long that they have all the T10 ships and had enough tokens to grab all the rewards right away. 

Some people are not in that situation - they're either ill-prepared (sometimes through no fault of their own) or unlucky or both - and that's where their real character shows through - can you deal with disappointment and go on to prepare better for future events of this type, or do you go to extremes trying to find a way around it? 

I have issues with the way tokens were dealt out. In particular I think there should have been enough of them released into the economy for newer players to get either ALL the permacamos or ALL the Legion bundles (but not both) if they played hard; i.e. they should have had some tokens in the free boxes, or in the directives or the dailies somewhere. I'm writing up a major criticism of the way this event was handled, but I'm not releasing it until AFTER I get the Siroco and can avoid any accusation of sour grapes.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,333 posts
10,896 battles

I don’t play to be the top score on the loosing team, so I’m just playing as normal and getting what free stuff I can. Everyone else should be as well.

[SP]
Members
9 posts
2,175 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And I have the same interest, but some people get lucky and others don't. Some people got lucky and got themselves an early T7 or T8 unlock that made the whole event many times easier for them (especially last week); some people have been playing this game for so long that they have all the T10 ships and had enough tokens to grab all the rewards right away. 

Some people are not in that situation - they're either ill-prepared (sometimes through no fault of their own) or unlucky or both - and that's where their real character shows through - can you deal with disappointment and go on to prepare better for future events of this type, or do you go to extremes trying to find a way around it? 

I have issues with the way tokens were dealt out. In particular I think there should have been enough of them released into the economy for newer players to get either ALL the permacamos or ALL the Legion bundles (but not both) if they played hard; i.e. they should have had some tokens in the free boxes, or in the directives or the dailies somewhere. I'm writing up a major criticism of the way this event was handled, but I'm not releasing it until AFTER I get the Siroco and can avoid any accusation of sour grapes.

I just got the Sirrocco today, it's nice to get at least a tier 5 premium out of it.. Saved me $30 on that so theres some consollation and the other bit is i've got enough exp on the tier 6 to get me the tier 7 right away.. Pros and cons i guess..I've just returned to ships for the first time in two years so all of a sudden these events are thing.. Did a few missions with the Russian BB release and got the Sinop so i figured, wow decent chances lets try for the French dd's, guess you're right. Win some, lose some. Good to know for next time that you mostly lose them. 

[ARGSY]
Members
11,882 posts
7,553 battles
3 minutes ago, Dymitri said:

Did a few missions with the Russian BB release and got the Sinop so i figured, wow decent chances lets try for the French dd's, guess you're right. Win some, lose some. Good to know for next time that you mostly lose them. 

FWIW my record is:

French battleships, 2018: T5 near the start, then T6 at the end.

British destroyers, 2018: T5, T6 almost immediately. Then nothing.

British carriers, 2019: T4, T6. The event was structured differently, with a two-pronged token grind and staged unlocks, but I was happy to earn enough of both tokens to at least unlock the Furious.

Russian battleships, 2019: T5, at almost the last minute. I spent most of the tokens on permacamos instead of crates, so I wasn't able to get anywhere near as many chances as I might have. The second half gave me an unlock for the premium destroyer Okhotnik, so I consider that adequate compensation for not getting the T6 BB in the first part of the arc (and the Pyotr was not a bad grind).

French destroyers, 2019: T6 and then the T5, both from the daily deliveries.

My pattern seems to be no unlock higher than T6. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
8,709 posts
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've got over a hundred ships in my fleet but I didn't have enough tokens to get all the stuff either; not even all the permacamos at this rate.

I think that this event only could be completed by those who had every slot of every ship line filled plus most of the Premiums. I have 50 ships and have completed the missions and was only able to get enough tokens for the first three packages. I'm not complaining though, as I've now got 80 million credits and over 600 doubloons, plus three new ships and a bunch of other odds and ends from the event. Maybe WG wants people to spend hundreds of dollars on Premium crates. I can see buying a few crates for the fun of it but to spend a lot of money is probably not wise.

when better ships can 

[ARGSY]
Members
11,882 posts
7,553 battles
12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I can see buying a few crates for the fun of it but to spend a lot of money is probably not wise.

Oh for sure if you're happy to toss a handful of coin at them and see what happens, why not?

The irony is that if they'd put a couple dozen tokens in each of the premium crates, and maybe ten in the free ones, a lot of people would have been a lot happier with how their crate sprees went down, and they would have sold a lot more crates. I'd probably have bought a few if it nudged me above the threshold to be sure of all the camos, for instance. Last crate I bought was Third Anniversary; I had just a few short of a Dasha commander because I'd been on holiday for a couple of weeks and couldn't quite win enough, but a small crate purchase made up the difference and the tokens it gave me allowed guaranteed acquisition of permanent content in-game, so I was happy to live with whatever else I got.

[DRACS]
Members
4,668 posts

Two DDs? Ha! Consider yourself lucky. I purchased 21 of those crates and got zero, lol.

[F1RE]
[F1RE]
Beta Testers
689 posts
16,634 battles
1 hour ago, Dymitri said:

So.. Since the beginning of the event i've been grinding to get every possible free french dd crate and i've even dumped nearly $60 CDN into buying the premium ones and i've gotten nothing but the tier 5 and tier 6 french dd's.. You need to get the Bayard and all 4 pre-release DD's to finish the event.. Is this a sick joke to get players to dump money or is it actually possible to get these ships. I'm largely miffed at this as i love the play style of the French dd's and wanted to get the Mogador during the event. Would love some input from Wargaming as to why it's so bloody hard to get the ships if this is a pre-release event designed to let players get the ships before full release.. 

I think if you notice the forums and game play, the tier 5 and 6 are given to most everyone through free crate drops.  That being said, I have also noticed few players discussing or running the tier 7 and 8 so a lot of people are in your situation, not getting them.  I understand your frustration but hope you use this as a learning experience, show patience and see what is happening in the general community, this will give you some idea of how the drops are going and may save you money in the next campaign.

Also, the 1,000 doubloons a chance for the Mogador is chancy and shows a fool and his money are soon parted.  I read a post where it took someone 27 chances to get the ship - that is 27,000 doubloons - WOW.  He spent around $110 dollars for tech tree ship but granted he did receive other items for the chances.  I just feel this has turned into a cash grab by WoWS and as the Sharks say - "I'm out".......

Members
2,456 posts
9,272 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Right on :cap_like:

[RLGN]
Members
10,675 posts
19,830 battles

Naturally earned maybe 14 crates and drew Guepard?

Couldn’t care less if I don’t get any others as I only last night cleared stage two, and doubt I have time to clear any of the others.

[SYN]
Members
5,085 posts
12,257 battles
1 hour ago, Dymitri said:

Gambler's fallacy.

It's a thing.

Members
191 posts
1,954 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

One puts their money into the proverbial gambling slot machine, one has to accept that they may get screwed.

Indeed.  Keep buying this crap and they will be pushing it further ffs.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
430 posts

took me forever to get Jag from free crate (like two days ago), no way in hell spending money on them.

bunch post laid out what was needed to fully get everything (crazy requirements) as it was intentionally designed to suck in people and their cash 

[WOLF7]
Members
11,880 posts
2 hours ago, Dymitri said:

It wasn't meant for you.....

This entire event was targeted at the long time players with lots of ships, and whales who will spend the money.

Don't ask me why, you'll have to discuss that with WG's marketing department....:Smile_glasses:

[SIDE]
Members
2,380 posts
2 hours ago, Dymitri said:

I'm aware no one's forced me to spend money, as for greed and whatever other [edited] you tossed.. It's called interest in a new part of the game. I don't pay anything for the game so i toss a few bucks at it here and there. I'm familiar with the play style as i play the Khabarovsk line of dd's and don't use smoke and i'm comfortable with that play style. I'm just pointing out the obvious that the rate at which you receive the main rewards is rather poor. Of course, it can all be surmised down to "RNG" but at one point or another, you have to make it attainable if it's the main focus of the damn event..

This is th third or fourth post I've seen in a week where he dogs those od us who actively participate in events and throw money at the game. I thought it was acrimonious then and now that I see a pattern I still do. I wouldn't put a lot of credence into his comments on the matter. I think it's a sore spot because he usually quite succinct and insightful.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Boring 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,380 posts
2 hours ago, bat1159man said:

I think if you notice the forums and game play, the tier 5 and 6 are given to most everyone through free crate drops.  That being said, I have also noticed few players discussing or running the tier 7 and 8 so a lot of people are in your situation, not getting them.  I understand your frustration but hope you use this as a learning experience, show patience and see what is happening in the general community, this will give you some idea of how the drops are going and may save you money in the next campaign.

Also, the 1,000 doubloons a chance for the Mogador is chancy and shows a fool and his money are soon parted.  I read a post where it took someone 27 chances to get the ship - that is 27,000 doubloons - WOW.  He spent around $110 dollars for tech tree ship but granted he did receive other items for the chances.  I just feel this has turned into a cash grab by WoWS and as the Sharks say - "I'm out".......

I bought 5 crates at beginning of event and got real lucky drawing tiers 5,6 and 8. The 4 boxes went pretty fast running coop (I have tons of higher tier ships too so that helps) instead of random. I bought 5-6 crates in block 5 and they were all junk.

I'm only interested in the 10 and would rather not grind so I took a chance. Looks like I'll grind the 9 because...

No mogador = nomomydough.

Edited by thebigblue

Members
218 posts
1,651 battles
1 hour ago, bat1159man said:

Yes, it was an amazing coincidence that most of the people who got free ones got the Tier 5 and 6, which are by strange happenstance not usable for the directives. I also strongly suspect the drop odds went down after the first few days. I got Jaguard in literally the second box, which may have been the very first boxes it was possible to get because they were PTS rewards and I got them as soon as the update hit and before I would have had a chance to earn any others. I got Guepard in a set of seven purchased boxes that also happened very early in the release.

That being said, if someone was gambling on Mogador, I don't really truly blame them. It is a tech tree ship, but it's like buying premium time, it's paying money to bypass the lengthy grind necessary to get to Tier 9. I think the real gamble there was paying that money without being able to tell whether you really actually like the line or not or whether it'll just rust in your port eventually. Also of course there are line similarities in play. So someone who whaled straight to Mogador will not have had the upside of the lengthy grind in getting there- the familiarity with playing the class.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[WOLFC]
Members
1,417 posts
9,409 battles

It may be anecdotal, but it does seem as if the odds for getting a ship have increased.  But I know it's still random and just my personal experience.  I've gotten a couple of ships from each of the prior events, but nothing in this one.  I have no intention of buying crates with the misconception it'll increase those odds, especially for a tech tree ship!  As some others have said, I play pretty much as normal and gladly accept what free stuff comes my way.