You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gin_Blossoms

Tell Tale Signs of Good Player

122 comments in this topic

[CUTER]
Members
224 posts
1,675 battles

What are the tell tale signs of a good player?  

Many would probably start with win rate.  Or maybe average damage or just maybe number of ships sunk per a battle.  I would offer that the tell tale signs of a good player...starts with attitude and actions before all else.

I've been in ranked games recently and it seems to me, there is far more "bad players" than there is good ones.  I do not care how green, blue or purple your stats are if you are berating those around you for a loss...it clearly does more harm than good and sends a clear message of toxic privileged elitism...vice mannerisms of a positive player.  

For example, I know I am aggressive and I love my DDs.  However...when I turn a corner at the beginning of a match amd run into a black and Alaska...all they have to do is smoke press a key and go to town. Next thing I know, I am a burning hulk and didn't even get to play for five minutes.  

Queue the purple piranha who (instead of pushing in to support) stayed far in the back...and now blames me for losing because I had no support.  

The most important stat in this game is attitude.  You want my smoke and spotting try saying please and backing me up in a cap when you clearly see I am about to facetank six ships...while you unicum around in your spawn.

Maybe the best solution in ranked is for me to sit the first two minutes like in random battles so I can ensure I stay alive and let the cruisers and battleships do some tanking.  That is their job anyways.  Please remember that not everyone in the game has green, blue or purple stats and that many of us are here to have fun, enjoy an experience, and relieve some day stress...so learn to work with or around us...but be nice!!!  

That's all.

• Cool 12
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 13

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,234 battles

For me at least, there's 2 telltale signs of a good player. 1. How well they read and react to the minimap and enemy movements. 2. How well they learn from mistakes. Everyone gets caught out of position but getting consistently caught out of position and not learning from it is definitely the sign of a bad player. There's plenty of players with super high wr's that aren't good players.

• Cool 3

[WOLFC]
Members
1,886 posts
9,949 battles

99% of players are not on this forum (in my experience,  95% of players never say anything in game).   Although I enjoy the advice provided in this forum about tactics and the like,  the culture of judgement of quality within this forum is worthless.

I admire competency - everything else is noise, some of which is added by me (self knowledge is important).

Stat shaming within a match has happened to me twice - instant ignore.   People want to whine & complain during a match - I do that too so I get it. If it gets excessive or abusive - instant ignore.

When people do a great job, whether green or red, I usually give karma & sometimes comment.  I call out afk and karma that.

A player good in one ship type can be crud in another type of ship.

Edited by Anonymous50

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

I'd actually say attitude has nothing to do with being a good or bad player. That's a good or bad person. If you constantly curse someone out every game, yet carry teams regularly, you are a great player and a terrible person.

Once had someone wish grievous and gratuitous harm on my children just for playing CV. Yes. That's literally all I did. I did a damn good job of it, too, but this person saw fit to delve into so many far too dark topics to go into detail on. Among them were sexual abuse, torture and cannibalism, if memory serves. Call me a sadist, call me a bully, but there is a line and it was a few miles back by that point, so crossed was it

I'm pretty sure the report with replay I sent in got a quarter of the players in that match in some trouble, as, while that person was a horrible individual, there were others joining in too.

• Cool 10

[W-P-A]
[W-P-A]
Members
242 posts
13,244 battles

I run mostly cruisers and battleships and I won't start right away. I do have1 destroyer, a premium German T-61. I will give it about 45 seconds before I move. I look where the teammates are moving. And also see where everyone is at so I won't get run over. Getting tired of my credits and points being deducted because of someone running into me on startup. I will try to cover dd's, but at a small distance. That way I have a chance to split if things go south. There is a lot of times that I would follow a destroyer into or near a cap to find myself fighting alone when the dd would break and run,  that really annoys me. A nice toot on the horn would be nice to tell me to follow or get out quick.

Also, I usually keep my mouth shut while playing. The thing I do in the chat is to wish "good luck to everyone and gg".  I'm usually to busy playing than chatting, in less I get sunk. Then I have all the time in the world.

Edited by Alienmenace_1

[ARCO]
Members
833 posts
1,287 battles

For me, telltales of a good player are:

- Give plan ideas at beginning of match

- Move to a position where his ship would be useful, not border hugging, doing the mussel behind an island with no line of sight of the enemy and so on.

- Later in the match :Get position wherethe enemy is, defending bases, giving support to a friendly in trouble...

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[RSWF]
Members
90 posts
6,366 battles

Well said OP.  Far too much anger for a video game.  Al least, thank goodness, it is less toxic than WOT was.

OP If you ever want to division up with some chilled out older guys, look up our clan.  Great bunch.

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,344 posts
12,376 battles
4 minutes ago, CesilTheDiddler said:

knowing where the radar capable ships are before you charge into a cap is a sign of a good player.

This x10

Members
12 posts
4,756 battles

Good players are players who not only take advantage of mistakes but can also force opponents into unfavorable situations and then capitalize. 

Average players (like me sometimes) take advantage of others mistakes but are opportunists. 

Bad players make mistakes and are taken advantage of. 

Attitude is irrelevant to the good/bad player discussion. 

• Cool 2

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
17,330 battles
34 minutes ago, CesilTheDiddler said:

knowing where the radar capable ships are before you charge into a cap is a sign of a good player.

This X100

OP is talking about players being nice to him as a qualification for being a good player.  General Dort would beg to differ.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[CUTER]
Members
224 posts
1,675 battles
16 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

This X100

OP is talking about players being nice to him as a qualification for being a good player.  General Dort would beg to differ.

Who is General Dort?

Edited by Gin_Blossoms

[CUTER]
Members
224 posts
1,675 battles
53 minutes ago, CesilTheDiddler said:

I think this is the rub for me...if there is an island in the way or smoke obscuring their approach how am I supposed to know they are there?

[CUTER]
Members
224 posts
1,675 battles
2 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1010662490,generaldort/

He streams a lot of the time, you can catch him on Twitch.  He doesn't suffer fools to put it mildly.

So that makes him a great player?  Or is he a role model for peeps?  Is he some sort of CC?  I would be more inclined to trust the information of a CC...they usually good players with good attitudes and have people like me in mind when taking a holistic approach to the playerbase and not the top 1 percent.

I will check out his stream for sure though either way!  Thanks!

• Cool 1

Members
6,858 posts
15,345 battles

A good player is one who is able to deal with what MM gives him, look at the team around them and how they are deploying and know what to do to with what they are given.

• Cool 6

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
2 hours ago, Gin_Blossoms said:

Many would probably start with win rate.  Or maybe average damage or just maybe number of ships sunk per a battle.  I would offer that the tell tale signs of a good player...starts with attitude and actions before all else.

I've been in ranked games recently and it seems to me, there is far more "bad players" than there is good ones.  I do not care how green, blue or purple your stats are if you are berating those around you for a loss...it clearly does more harm than good and sends a clear message of toxic privileged elitism...vice mannerisms of a positive player.  

For example, I know I am aggressive and I love my DDs.  However...when I turn a corner at the beginning of a match amd run into a black and Alaska...all they have to do is smoke press a key and go to town. Next thing I know, I am a burning hulk and didn't even get to play for five minutes.  

Queue the purple piranha who (instead of pushing in to support) stayed far in the back...and now blames me for losing because I had no support.  

The most important stat in this game is attitude.  You want my smoke and spotting try saying please and backing me up in a cap when you clearly see I am about to facetank six ships...while you unicum around in your spawn.

Maybe the best solution in ranked is for me to sit the first two minutes like in random battles so I can ensure I stay alive and let the cruisers and battleships do some tanking.  That is their job anyways.  Please remember that not everyone in the game has green, blue or purple stats and that many of us are here to have fun, enjoy an experience, and relieve some day stress...so learn to work with or around us...but be nice!!!  

That's all.

I'm going to give the purple player the benefit of a doubt.

Whether or not they ares nice to you obviously has nothing to do with how good anyone may or may not be.  However, if this is happening enough where you feel the need to come here and create a thread about it, then they might actually have a point.

When making yourself a liability to the team and doing unwise things in the match, other people are going to notice it and likely call you out on it.  And in the heat of the moment they may not be nice about it, but it doesn't mean it's personal.  Just learn from it, correct yourself, and move on.  We've all been there.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,628 posts
3 hours ago, Gin_Blossoms said:

If you want to see how a good player performs, watch this. I actually compiled a list of the things he did to succeed in this battle and used them in my next match. I got a rare (for me) award (Witherer), sank three ships, and did 135 k damage in my Des Moines.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
6,858 posts
15,345 battles
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

I'm going to give the purple player the benefit of a doubt.

Whether or not they ares nice to you obviously has nothing to do with how good anyone may or may not be.  However, if this is happening enough where you feel the need to come here and create a thread about it, then they might actually have a point.

When making yourself a liability to the team and doing unwise things in the match, other people are going to notice it and likely call you out on it.  And in the heat of the moment they may not be nice about it, but it doesn't mean it's personal.  Just learn from it, correct yourself, and move on.  We've all been there.

Yep, There are nice and not nice players at every level. Skill and temperament are not directly coexistent qualities. 

Edited by Ducky_shot

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,337 posts
19,542 battles
4 hours ago, Gin_Blossoms said:

I know I am aggressive

After nearly four years of playing this game, I've noted this phrase as a warning sign that somebody is about to blame their teammates for getting them sunk.

Queue the purple piranha who (instead of pushing in to support) stayed far in the back

And there it is.

You want my smoke and spotting try saying please and backing me up in a cap when you clearly see I am about to facetank six ships

WHY WOULD YOU FACETANK SIX SHIPS THAT CAN CLEARLY BE SEEN? :Smile_amazed:

This isn't an MMO with magic heal bombs and rezzes, there is no "support" that can save you from yourself.

• Cool 12
  • Funny 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,886 posts
9,949 battles
2 hours ago, CesilTheDiddler said:

conversely

knowing where the radar capable ships are before you tell those DD's to go cap is a sign of a player who reads the mini map & spends the countdown time actually looking at who is playing

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,153 posts
11,008 battles

I know I am aggressive and I love my DDs.  However...when I turn a corner at the beginning of a match amd run into a black and Alaska...all they have to do is smoke press a key and go to town. Next thing I know, I am a burning hulk and didn't even get to play for five minutes.

My patience and survival correlate directly to my influence in the battle and result in my best games. that unicum player is probably not camping, hes surveying the map and identifying the prey. 

[TRU]
Members
602 posts
18,212 battles
2 hours ago, Gin_Blossoms said:

I think this is the rub for me...if there is an island in the way or smoke obscuring their approach how am I supposed to know they are there?

That is the joy of radar and even Hydro in some cases.  If you have not spotted them yet it is best to assume that they are there.  Move around and even watch for the unspotted cruiser to fire at other targets.  

I too suffer from wanting to take the point early.  As you go up in tiers this becomes increasingly dangerous.