Avenge_December_7

How In The World Do You Play The King George V?

11 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
4,090 posts
9,562 battles

Although I don't have too many battles in randoms with her, after multiple battles in which my max damage was 42k (and most of them didn't even exceed 25k), I feel rather frustrated with the ship.

It has good HE shells, yes, but that seems to be all it has going for it. Its armor doesn't seem to do much, especially against many other enemy battleships in its MM tiers which can punch through its bow (and even to the citadel), its AP leaves quite a bit to be desired, and worst of all is its dispersion.

KGV for me seems to be stuck in a position where if it pushes in close against any sort of serious opposition (like a 380mm+ caliber battleship or any sort of HE spam) it gets annihilated (in no small part because of its newly raised citadel—not that I oppose the decision), yet at everything beyond close range its guns can't hit hard or hit accurately (and even then against an even slightly angled target you have to go and pray for both hits and good fire RNG).

The only use I've found for it so far is keeping enemy destroyers on their toes even at medium-long range, but that's about it.

Any tips on how to improve in the KGV?

[HSD]
Members
704 posts
12,392 battles

Dynamic ammo switching between HE and AP. The AP is short fuse so for a number of ships you get better results aiming higher than the waterline, go for the upper belt region (especially pertinent against T8-9 BBs). HE, aim even higher for deck and superstructure, or bow/stern if you are confident in the accuracy of landing the shot. Expert Loader is a skill that I personally feel has a lot of merit on RN BBs. RoF is one way to help leverage the lower caliber with 25 sec reload the longer you can keep that max RoF the better your damage starts to accumulate and that comes from being a non desirable target.

KGV like all of the higher tier RN BBs is slathered in thin armour, it is not a BB for the tip of a push. Move with a group try to avoid being the frontmost BB as you can't sustain that attention. Use and abuse the stealth of the KGV, it's not exceptional but it is very solid. Always try to fight from a range where you are dropping in and out of detection from your gun bloom rather than the enemy ships lighting you up.

Use the belt to bounce AP. Assuming you are dark, open up with all turrets, then immediately rudder over to angle away/in. Think of your ship like a box, you want to present an angle that encourages opponents to shoot the flat side which you are showing then angle (or are already angling). But never rudder over to the point that you end up pointing bow or stern to the enemy BB(s). It naturally varies based on the enemy ship but think of being at 45 degrees relative to their guns for a rough starting idea. Additionally against Musashi it is more about outright evasion rather than trying to bait bounces due to overmatch. So try to avoid engaging a Musashi that has the luxury of being able to focus solely on you.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

Burn at intermediate ranges.

Imperative Stealth Build is taken to control your engagements.

Tier VII BBs have to be very wary about bow tanking because they all have 25mm bows.  They get Overmatched by 380mm+ AP.  You have to lean even more on angling so that AP salvos can be auto bounced or be bounced by your thicker belt armor.

KGV plays for the long game.  Those HE + Fires don't do too much early on, but as time goes on in a match, when those other BBs have exhausted or nearly gone through their Repair Party charges, that is when KGV is at her best.

Her 356mm AP isn't going to scare her Battleship peers when she's dealing with Tier VII-IX BBs.  Your HE is what makes people concerned.  Your 356mm HE will laugh at Musashi's 58mm and Sovetsky Soyuz's 60mm deck armor.

The greatest threat to KGV really isn't other BBs.  It's HE Spam.  RN & FR BBs share a common characteristic... Thin exterior armor where lots of HE shell sizes will easily pen them.  Even Conqueror in Tier X can fold very quickly to HE spam if her Repair Party isn't there to save her.  All this further emphasizes KGV having Stealth Build and not being in places where HE Spammers will DPS you down.

Be patient with the ship, be patient against other BBs.  Maintain distance, control your engagements, and above all: Burn Them All.

• Cool 1

[_S_B_]
Members
477 posts
17,825 battles
On 8/14/2019 at 5:14 AM, Avenge_December_7 said:

Although I don't have too many battles in randoms with her, after multiple battles in which my max damage was 42k (and most of them didn't even exceed 25k), I feel rather frustrated with the ship.

It has good HE shells, yes, but that seems to be all it has going for it. Its armor doesn't seem to do much, especially against many other enemy battleships in its MM tiers which can punch through its bow (and even to the citadel), its AP leaves quite a bit to be desired, and worst of all is its dispersion.

KGV for me seems to be stuck in a position where if it pushes in close against any sort of serious opposition (like a 380mm+ caliber battleship or any sort of HE spam) it gets annihilated (in no small part because of its newly raised citadel—not that I oppose the decision), yet at everything beyond close range its guns can't hit hard or hit accurately (and even then against an even slightly angled target you have to go and pray for both hits and good fire RNG).

The only use I've found for it so far is keeping enemy destroyers on their toes even at medium-long range, but that's about it.

Any tips on how to improve in the KGV?

Fire starter flags, Demolition Expert and Expert Loader captain skills. Use an extra spotter plane too. I've had 150-200K damage games with 12-20 fires started plus I'm just your average player. I use HE 80% and AP 20% of the time. No reason to show your broadsides as just use front 2 turrets then aim your rear turret at another target. My favorite T7 BB by far.

[GC]
Alpha Tester
821 posts
3,960 battles

I did not like KGV (because it almost completely lacks the ability to make high-impact plays in clutch moments), but HazeGrayUnderway has the right of it. It's a long-game ship that relies on having time to stack a lot of fire damage and, over the course of a game, that is how it makes its presence felt. Play conservatively, preserve your HP as much as you can, and then trade it away late game in order to secure kills on crippled enemies that have exhausted their consumables.

--Helms

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

KGV just absolutely crushes cruisers from any range, and lolz at DDs that get too close.

It's not a brawler, though. It has a role to play, and imho it's a fun role to take on.

As a DD main, I don't often find BBs I enjoy playing (Nassau. Man, what an op beast) but one I do enjoy is KGV.

• Cool 1

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,227 battles

I have the same problem with Hood. AP does little damage to T9 BB's. Got 8 salvos  into an Iowa that was running broadside, did little damage. He was not even concerned to aim his guns at me and was going after our t8 BB.  Hits from his bow to stern at around 9 to 12 kilometers.. Maybe I should be using he? Every time I'm reloaded I fire, and rarely miss... Getting 30 to 45k damage a game. Usual damage 4 to 5 ships.  Did much better with Warspite.. Sunk a lot more ships. Using a 11 slot Captain. I thought they buffed the AP on the Hood, guess not enough for me. 

[HSD]
Members
704 posts
12,392 battles

For a number of RN BBs the AP is more consistent when aimed higher, at the upper belt rather than the waterline, in a lot of cases the upper belt is thinner on the target. The RN BBs are in this spot where certain ships have significantly differing AP performance.

RN BBs are a bit of a roulette for AP characteristics so habits from one ship may not transfer over well to another ship. Warspite for example you generally will aim waterline for most targets. But less so for Hood.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
On 9/19/2019 at 11:46 PM, Meatshield_No13 said:

For a number of RN BBs the AP is more consistent when aimed higher, at the upper belt rather than the waterline, in a lot of cases the upper belt is thinner on the target. The RN BBs are in this spot where certain ships have significantly differing AP performance.

RN BBs are a bit of a roulette for AP characteristics so habits from one ship may not transfer over well to another ship. Warspite for example you generally will aim waterline for most targets. But less so for Hood.

Tier VI Warspite also has better AP Pen than Tier VII Hood, both are 15" armed BBs :Smile_trollface:

Warspite is also well loved for another reason... She's accurate.

The biggest problem I had with Hood was her wonky gunnery.  Most everything else about her is pretty good.

She's fast.

Her armor scheme makes her resistant to a lot of raw HE shell damage.

Those 2 qualities together make her quite strong in survival and stubborn against HE spammers.  If her gunnery had been more reliable, Hood would have been a must-have ship.

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,227 battles

I have the Hood and agree the guns need a buff. The Warspite in this regard is noticeably better as is Bismarck. Could use a gun buff to be at least as good as Warspite, though should be a hair better. I stopped playing Hood when I got a free Bismarck, which is much better in many ways for my game style.