You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OneSaltyWench

Micro teams

29 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
1,060 battles

Are you serious, or is this some sort of sad joke?
1v1, 2v2, even 3v3 matches?
It's bad enough this happens during the evening/early morning hours, but the middle of the day too?

Then you add insult to injury, penalizing your Players when they refuse to waste still more of their time (after the oh-so-lovely 5 minutes in the que, where there's usually 100+ folks playing those tiers), by shoving the *PINK* onto us, and/or throwing us into the 'Co-Op Only Gulag' for x-amount of matches?

You've lost your collective minds, WG'ing.

• Confused 3
  • Boring 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,543 posts
3 minutes ago, OneSaltyWench said:

It's bad enough this happens during the evening/early morning hours, but the middle of the day too?

Then you add insult to injury, penalizing your Players when they refuse to waste still more of their time (after the oh-so-lovely 5 minutes in the que, where there's usually 100+ folks playing those tiers), by shoving the *PINK* onto us, and/or throwing us into the 'Co-Op Only Gulag' for x-amount of matches?

Being pink doesn't lock you into coop.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

If you're getting matches like that, it's often either the tier or a CV. As you have so few battles, I'll assume you're still playing lower tiers. Tiers 1 and 2 have long wait times in general. Why is this? Because it doesn't take long to hit T2 or 3. And, if you are playing T3, those T2 ships can drag you in at the 5 minute mark as well. Likewise, tier 4 has CVs, which, with their current lacking popularity, can result in odd matchups. Any tier that can see T4, 6, 8 or 10 can have this issue.

If these aren't the issue, I need more info. Posting at 2 AM EST doesn't really present the best picture, however.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Being pink doesn't lock you into coop.

Being orange does. He was complaining about being punished for leaving early, and, if you do it enough, you will only get to play co-op (and clan battles if memory serves).

[A-D-F]
7,543 posts

Yeah I would advise moving up in tiers if you are going to play in the middle of the night OP. 

Over 500 of your 650 games are in T2. 

Those low tiers are not very populated to begin with but it's 1:20AM here.  That smaller population is likely to be even more impacted by the normal server population drop, that happens at these hours.

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles

You get penalized because by bailing as you do, you're penalizing your own team. Just because you're throwing a hissy fit doesn't mean you're allowed to punish your team with impunity.

Members
1,660 posts

You see a lot of these battles on the PTS.

At first I was annoyed and frustrated, but the small fleet battles grew on me.  They take a different mentality and style to the 12 v 12 random battles.  There is no hiding or counting on help.  I've come to enjoy the 1 v 1 of a Myoko v Algerie or Fubuki v Fletcher. 

You fnd different Captain skills are critical for these battles.  Skills that may not be as useful in a full battle. 

If you can actually communicate with your one or two shipmates, you can be surprisingly effective. 

Embrace the battles for what they are and enjoy yourself and this opportunity to hone you head to head battle skills and strategic overview of the battlespace.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,061 posts
36,036 battles
35 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

You get penalized because by bailing as you do, you're penalizing your own team. Just because you're throwing a hissy fit doesn't mean you're allowed to punish your team with impunity.

It's not that simple, krimmie. The game is set up so that often, the only way to protest against things you think are wrong is non-participation -- but then you run up against just this ethic of "you're letting teammates down". There are no opt-outs of odious stupidities like queue dumps that occur because some discourteous and selfish CV player has decided to sit in the queue for ages, thus screwing others, or opt outs of the absolutely crappy maps in the higher tiers, or being constantly uptiered two tiers. Since there are no opt outs, players are faced with ugly ethical choices.

If WG allowed opt outs of some kind, this sort of thing would happen less often. It is often difficult for me to blame people for suiciding out of principled objection to some sadistic game feature. WG doesn't listen to the players, and they dont allow other forms of protest. What else can players do?

• Confused 1

Members
1,660 posts
59 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

It's not that simple, krimmie. The game is set up so that often, the only way to protest against things you think are wrong is non-participation -- but then you run up against just this ethic of "you're letting teammates down". There are no opt-outs of odious stupidities like queue dumps that occur because some discourteous and selfish CV player has decided to sit in the queue for ages, thus screwing others, or opt outs of the absolutely crappy maps in the higher tiers, or being constantly uptiered two tiers. Since there are no opt outs, players are faced with ugly ethical choices.

If WG allowed opt outs of some kind, this sort of thing would happen less often. It is often difficult for me to blame people for suiciding out of principled objection to some sadistic game feature. WG doesn't listen to the players, and they dont allow other forms of protest. What else can players do?

There is an opt out.  Don't hit the Battle button.

By hitting that Battle button for a random battle, you're agreeing to participate in just that.  A random battle we all have the same chance of being put in.  Sometimes we are put into battles we don't want, can't win, or we simply don't enjoy, but we still asked and agreed to fight in it by hitting that Battle button, plain and simple.

Is is often difficult for me to sympathize with people who throw a fit, principled or otherwise, for something they consciously and purposely asked for.  There are other ways to avoid the scenarios you outlined with the possible exception of queue dumps, but we all face that risk equally.

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
grammar
  • Cool 2

[TACT]
Members
56 posts
9,137 battles

Wow, I've never seen so few in a battle.  Even when I first started out.  Maybe it's because of the time of day I play, I dunno.

Members
1,660 posts
4 minutes ago, blopplop_2019 said:

Wow, I've never seen so few in a battle.  Even when I first started out.  Maybe it's because of the time of day I play, I dunno.

You want to see painful?  Try a 1v1 CV battle... Yikes!!!!

[INTEL]
Members
13,061 posts
36,036 battles
36 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

There is an opt out.  Don't hit the Battle button.

By hitting that Battle button for a random battle, you're agreeing to participate in just that.  A random battle we all have the same chance of being put in.  Sometimes we are put into battles we don't want, can't win, or we simply don't enjoy, but we still asked and agreed to fight in it by hitting that Battle button, plain and simple.

Is is often difficult for me to sympathize with people who throw a fit, principled or otherwise, for something they consciously and purposely asked for.  There are other ways to avoid the scenarios you outlined with the possible exception of queue dumps, but we all face that risk equally.

Obviously we don't agree. Nobody asked for the crappy maps, the queue dumps, rockets on CVs and their insane spotting power, and 00s of other things. Many things, like being taunted by/taunting others with emblems or the two-tier MM spread, would be easy to supply opt-outs for.Yet we don't have them. 

I didn't say I approve, but it's often not difficult for me to empathize with the protesters.

• Boring 2

Members
5 posts
1,060 battles
3 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

1v1, 2v2, even 3v3, does not a 'Team' make.
Given the time required to earn points and improve ship/captain skills, the last thing any Player should have to suffer, is idiotic tiny-team matches, which won't provide any sort of meaningful results, no matter how good you might do.

Keep harping WG'ing's stupidity, as any Fan Boy would.

Some of us have higher expectations of a game that's been around for years.

Members
5 posts
1,060 battles
4 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Yeah I would advise moving up in tiers if you are going to play in the middle of the night OP. 

Over 500 of your 650 games are in T2. 

Those low tiers are not very populated to begin with but it's 1:20AM here.  That smaller population is likely to be even more impacted by the normal server population drop, that happens at these hours.

4 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Being orange does. He was complaining about being punished for leaving early, and, if you do it enough, you will only get to play co-op (and clan battles if memory serves).

'She'.

Wench, not Cabin Boy.

:-)

I am trying to build up my ship/Captain skills.  I don't see any value of playing stock vessels solely, and then climbing up the tier ladder, stock ship after stock ship (and suffering the pinata-experiences of being beaten like a red-headed step-child by other players with better ships/Captains.)

Sue me.

Members
5 posts
1,060 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Thank You.
It's bad enough we lose 5 minutes of our lives, waiting for matches to start.
Then we're served idiotic tiny teams, which won't result in jack *BLEEP* no matter how hard we try?

No.

I won't waste more of this life in such endeavors.

WG'ing needs to fix this, or suffer degeneration.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
14 minutes ago, OneSaltyWench said:

Thank You.
It's bad enough we lose 5 minutes of our lives, waiting for matches to start.
Then we're served idiotic tiny teams, which won't result in jack *BLEEP* no matter how hard we try?

No.

WG'ing needs to fix this, or suffer degeneration.

You can demand all you like, but at off hours the wait times would potentially get stupidly long.

40 minutes ago, OneSaltyWench said:

I am trying to build up my ship/Captain skills.  I don't see any value of playing stock vessels solely, and then climbing up the tier ladder, stock ship after stock ship (and suffering the pinata-experiences of being beaten like a red-headed step-child by other players with better ships/Captains.)

Sue me.

Most of us use premium ships to avoid retraining commanders, or, once we have 19 pointers, elite xp. Honestly, I'd sooner recommend getting to tier 3 or 4 before you slow down. Tier 2 ships can only really see T2-3s, meaning you are always at a disadvantage or on par. T3 is easily one of my favorite tiers, personally. This also gives one experience with facing carriers, if at a disadvantage. T4 carriers are pushovers to the extreme. One T3 ship I recommend is St. Louise. Combine all this with T2 giving barely any commander xp and you're going to be there a while.

All this said, you can get a bunch of free 10 point commanders from getting 4 stars in ops (requires T6 or 7 ships depending on which) for the first time, and the only ships that truly need 10 points are destroyers. Most others get by fine without. All you really need is a single point to get priority target. Preferably 3 points for either last stand or expert marksman as well, as last stand is extremely useful for ships that often lose engines or rudder control. Expert marksman is good for battleships and other similarly turret rotation challenged ships. Personally, I swear by last stand in anything that isn't a battleship or carrier. :Smile_teethhappy:

The biggest milestone early on is hitting T5. T4 is the highest tier I recommend till one knows a bit about what they are doing. T5 can see T4-7 after all. T5 is when the protection of +/-1 matchmaking ends and you can start seeing ships 2 tiers apart.

Members
5,263 posts
9,960 battles

THey are not doing micro-teams because they like to see them.  They make them because of the ship types, tiers, and time of playing...  Along with an occaisional queue dump again - usually because of the same reasons.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,042 posts
13,308 battles
2 hours ago, OneSaltyWench said:

...the last thing any Player should have to suffer, is idiotic tiny-team matches

Some of us have higher expectations of a game that's been around for years.

Yeeesh, Whiny Wench, go find some REAL suffering out there in the world to compare your oh-so-painful waiting on a computer game.

And some of us have low expectations of the player base, but apparently not so low that new lows cannot be probed.

2 hours ago, OneSaltyWench said:

Promises, promises.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,217 posts
5,683 battles
5 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Micro games like this?

crazy late night game.jpg

Guess so... Doesn't happen often as the Ocean map, etc... I find these micro games fine. Had a 1x1 one time. As soon as there is something different, less than 7 ships, no DDs, 2 CV's people complain.

Edited by franz_von_goltz

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
7 hours ago, OneSaltyWench said:

So, you're mad at WG because you threw a fit and got punished for bailing on your team?

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,583 posts
15,711 battles
8 minutes ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Guess so... Doesn't happen often as the Ocean map, etc... I find these micro games fine. Had a 1x1 one time. As soon as there is something different, less than 7 ships, no DDs, 2 CV's people complain.

I don't mind them. It was late night early morning. Just que scraping what few players are available. Part of playing those hours.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,644 posts
8 hours ago, OneSaltyWench said:

I do well in 1v1s.

image.thumb.png.9894098343a2a37196154343ec3966c7.png

[A-D-F]
7,543 posts
4 hours ago, OneSaltyWench said:

'She'.

Wench, not Cabin Boy.

:-)

Sue me.

The higher tier you go, the more damage potential there is.  The more damage you can do, the faster you will gain XP and captain XP.

The really low tiers can be fun but they are generally used to learn to play the game and it's basics.  Most of the "action" happens at at least T5 and up.

I understand that in a perfect situation, all tiers would be filled with lots and lots of people at all hours of the day.  That just sometimes isn't the case, this game doesn't have a the player population to always create a low tier game in an instant at 2 in the morning. 

If those hours are your normal play time and you want to avoid running into the match maker being forced to make small games, you can do so by moving up a few tiers.

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,891 battles
8 hours ago, OneSaltyWench said:

The VAST majority of your matches are at tier II and III, so you are no longer in protected mode. This means you are not fighting new players just starting, but are against a mixture of established players starting a new line or seal clubbing. The wait times at tier II and III are HORRIBLE because few people enjoy those tiers and it's so easy to grind through them.

If you play an unpopular tier, don't be surprised that wait times for something unpopular are long.