You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

I'm not saying it's impossible...

12 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles

I'm saying it's just really difficult. More so than what seems reasonable. I just had a match in my tier 8 Graf Zeppelin where I had this line up. I know there is possibility to do some good and have some effect. i even did decent, 50k dmg. However ultimately my affect on the game was incredibly minimal because of how much tier 10 AA just destroys me. Even worse when a storm crops up because I need to get really close to spot and their AA just destroy my planes. Most of the time I can't even a get a group of shots off. I've mentioned this before in another thread when facing a Minotaur but overall this type of matchmaking is frustrating. Not because of being thrown against tier 10's, but rather having the knowledge that if I were in a tier 8 BB, CA, or DD I would of had more affect and better chance to influence the game and even better chance to survive based on skill rather than just plain luck.

shot-19.08.13_22.09.23-0775.jpg

Edited by otakuben
grammar is hard
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
4 minutes ago, otakuben said:

I'm saying it's just really difficult. More so than what seems reasonable. I just had a match in my tier 8 Graf Zeppelin where I had this line up. I know there is possibility to do some good and have some effect. i even did decent, 50k dmg. However ultimately my affect on the game was incredibly minimal because of how much tier 10 AA just destroys me. Even worse when a storm crops up because I need to get really close to spot and their AA just destroy my planes. Most of the time I can't even a get a group of shots off. I've mentioned this before in another thread when facing a Minotaur but overall this type of matchmaking is frustrating. Not because of being thrown against tier 10's, but rather having the knowledge that if I were in a tier 8 BB, CA, or DD I would of had more affect and better chance to influence the game and even better chance to survive based on skill rather than just plain luck.

shot-19.08.13_22.09.23-0775.jpg

Playing CVs as much as I do, I know how hard it is to contribute, especially if you are low tier.

Edited by Snargfargle

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Playing CVs as much as I do, I know how hard it is to come in at the tip of the team. For two CVs, both low tier, to do it at once is rare indeed nowadays.

This kind of MM shouldn't exist period. But that's my opinion.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,665 posts
Just now, otakuben said:

This kind of MM shouldn't exist period. But that's my opinion.

I tend to agree with you. CVs should always be high tier. It's hard enough to contribute after all the nerfs in a Midway. I got rid of my Lexington because if I was going to be in a tier X match I wanted to be in a tier X CV.

• Boring 1

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles
1 minute ago, Primace said:

You are lucky to get 50k damage in other tier VIII ships, just saying

I mean that's somewhat true. My average tier 8 dmg is 43k. However part of that is growing pains and not learning from mistakes. I think I got lucky in my shots but in this particular game when it came time to have a large affect on the enemy team I cam up short.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,730 battles

This was by design. When the CV's were first introduced post 8.0 they became high damage farming machines. T10 especially the Hak was getting extremely high damage with the "Flying Shimakaze" mode. Dropping three torpedo drops and not losing a plane with some 300K games being turned in. The community really erupted into a forest fire. Then once the "Flying Shimakaze" was removed then it went to the lesser "Slingshot" of the Midway dive bombers. AA was finally turned to 11. Now the average damage has been nerfed. Working as intended for balance.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,665 battles

They needed to give CVs +/-1 rather than get rid of the odd tiers. That will mitigate the worst situation for bottom tier CVs and bottom tier surface ships. It feels like WG kinda had the feeling they needed to do something about it, but they of course botched it. 

Spoiler

But also, in line with their stubborn reluctance to do anything with +/-1 MM. I think arguments about queue time and ship variety are bull. The best conspiracy theory I've heard on that one is that they need to have a mechanism to occasionally let potatoes have good games. 

Spoiler

But also just remove CVs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by pikohan

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
4 hours ago, otakuben said:

i even did decent, 50k dmg.

Went out in my Ryujo the other day into a T8 battle. Did just over 8k damage and I'm actually amazed that I got those two torps off against the Tirpitz.

The reds were well clustered and I couldn't even spot effectively before losing all my planes.

Finished that game and sold my CV.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,218 posts
5,689 battles

2 things, 1/ Being uptiered is one, 2/ Des Moines, Minotaur, even destroyers like Kidd are AA beasts. 8.7 should fix the AA tier delta, as well as nerfing and buffing AAs of some cruisers and destroyers.

After, now, when uptiered, better spend the first 8 to 10 minutes scouting. Help team do the job and then pick up weak targets.