Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
QWERTYEel89

How to Tirpitz/Aim

7 comments in this topic

Members
105 posts
3,387 battles

I've looked up some vids recently and have tried to apply this knowledge tentatively. I try to use straight AP aside from the "straight at em" BBs that come my way but lately the Tirpitz has become kinda iffy. I thought I was getting the hang of her (and bbs in general) but over the last few days I've had some ugly matches. Doing my best not to rage at RNG though I know there's always that factor I've had some bad experiences with the Tirpitz's AP, especially today when I splashed the broadside of a Hipper (at less than 10 KM) at least 6 times and got overpens or just plain bounces. I stick to the script when aiming: for the belly area of broadside cruisers and pray but when they hit it seems to either overpen or bounce, even got a few no-damage penetrations (shoutout to WOT). I try to close the distance (>15 KM) seeing as German BBs accuracy is suspect. Meanwhile same caliber guns on ships like the Bismarck have landed some juicy hits on me so I figure either I'm not using the Tirpitz's AP effectively or I'm putting too much stock in citadel hits (perhaps I should aim a bit higher for more consistent damage?) and falling flat with respect to damage. I avoid wasting shots on ships that are angled in the 50/60 degree region since that's autobounce territory unless I have the patience to pepper their superstructure with it. Perhaps I should put some more faith in the HE of the Tirpitz (and bbs in general) however upon reentering this game the rule seemed to be AP for everything in a BB (aside from a lurking DD or a super armored BB).

I'm not gonna fall into the "OMG THIS SHIP SUCKS PLZ BUFF!!11!" crowd just yet as I've heard this ship in particular has received a few buffs recently, also I had a similar experience with a certain German premium vehicle in WOT that I felt was trash. Long story short it became my go-to premium about two years ago, even brought my 45% WR up to like 52%. I would like to have the same confidence in the Tirpitz and learn this game sooner than I did with WOT. The game became far more interesting when I knew what the hell I was doing.

Also, for bonus points: how on earth do you calculate when your target is roughly at a 45 degree angle? I though I got a feel for it but eh, it isn't as consistent as aiming horizontally. Yes speed and course changes have effects on that but it just feels very shaky at this point (granted I'm still a hyper noob at this point.)

Here's a waifu for your troubles.

8zD6WC4.jpg

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

From the point your gun is to the point it hits is how the angle can be wonky. The forward turrets tend to hit at a different angle from the rear turrets at closer ranges. By the sub-5km mark, you can have wildly different angles your shells are hitting from. It's one of the hardest parts of a brawl, as you have to try and make sure your turrets all get a good hit in, which often can mean firing off the forward guns and rear guns separately. In a BB, that can be difficult, as the turrets rotate so slowly. One solution I've found is to go bow-in so as to keep the rear turret pointed elsewhere. This also keeps one from eating pens/cits.

Edit 1: Also, 15km isn't really considered close range. 15km is almost the max range of some T10 cruisers. If you want German guns to be accurate, they simply won't be even at the closest of ranges. That said, aiming center mass tends to help with inaccurate guns I've found. Another thing of note is that ships drift in a turn. Try a few games in CV and you'll see what I mean. That drift can throw off your aim a tad. Another thing of note is that ships tend to tilt while they are turning, making armor weaker/stronger depending on the armor's angling.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

Hmm, aiming is a pretty tricky process.  From what you've mentioned there might be a few helpful things for you!

20 minutes ago, QWERTYEel89 said:

I stick to the script when aiming: for the belly area of broadside cruisers and pray but when they hit it seems to either overpen or bounce, even got a few no-damage penetrations (shoutout to WOT)

I'll start with this.  Belly area is generally the best place to aim, so no issues there.  However, the outcomes you're getting might indicate a few things.  First, the overpens show your aim point might be off somewhat. This is really common especially when angled ships are moving towards you, since it's very hard hard to aim accurately on the vertical axis.  On the plus side, sometimes overpens into the superstructure are the best outcome.  The German 380s have high velocity but suffer from lack of overmatch and low pen compared to the 16" or 410mm guns that are common at t8+.  Don't worry about accidentally overpenning citadels though, I did some testing with Roma and found it's practically impossible to overpen broadside citadels with more than 152mm of armor, and cruisers with ~100mm were fair game over 4km.  Throw in any angle and the ranges needed become even less!

And in case you didn't know, non-damage pens are hitting modules, but not the hull.  Possibly another sign your aim point is a bit high.

3 hours ago, QWERTYEel89 said:

Meanwhile same caliber guns on ships like the Bismarck have landed some juicy hits on me so I figure either I'm not using the Tirpitz's AP effectively or I'm putting too much stock in citadel hits (perhaps I should aim a bit higher for more consistent damage?) and falling flat with respect to damage

This damage is partly due to your thick upper belt, which is 150mm+ and can easily arm BB caliber shells that come in broadside.  Most overpens occur because the armor the shells hit is too thin to arm the fuse, not because the target is too close.  Aiming higher is actually a good idea in the following conditions in Bismarck/Tirp/Roma:

1)  The enemy has armor belt with 100mm+ armor that reaches their deck, and broadside to you.
2)  The enemy has ~50mm armor, AND is angled at least 30 degrees, but not in autobounce range.    (Only a few ships)
3)  The enemy has 25mm armor plating AND is in 67 degrees or more.  (Most CAs up to tier 7, all French cruisers, USN and USSR CLs)
4)  The enemy has 32 armor plating AND is over 55 degrees.  (Most BBs from tier 8+)
4)  The enemy is a broadside Yamato, Kremlin, Republique or Montana but is over 15km away.  (You won't pen their outer belt)

380mm shells require ~56mm or armor to arm, but cannot overmatch any armor 27mm or more.  Knowing when you can abuse overmatchable plating to get normal pens into cruisers is very important for ships like Bismarck, Tirpitz, and Roma.

3 hours ago, QWERTYEel89 said:

Also, for bonus points: how on earth do you calculate when your target is roughly at a 45 degree angle?

There are mods for this, but personally I don't use them.  On the plus side, there's very few times where knowing the exact angle is important.  Aside from the cases I listed above knowing the exact angle rarely does good, and even in those cases usually it's a "or more/less" situation, not a specific range.

Members
105 posts
3,387 battles

Thanks for the responses, keep em coming. Also I never thought too much armor would be a bad thing. Bigger they the harder the fall?

[ANKER]
[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
574 posts
12,870 battles

Smaller gun caliber means aiming higher unless its cruiser broadside. I have found and maybe this is just me but when you aim do not press any of the movement keys if you can this seems to really help dispersion. Keep your ship at an angle and try to fire your guns off center from broadside. This ship if played correctly can really be a great pushing tool. 

Sign in to follow this