You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Femennenly

PSA: A friendly reminder on Name and Shame

38 comments in this topic

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,256 posts
16,142 battles

Hey Captains,

After a few posts recently, we'd like to restate an important rule that exists on the forum: Name and Shame.

First I'd like to define this rule: Naming and Shaming involves but is not limited to the following:

• Posting screenshots of conversations between yourself and another player with the intention to make another player look bad.
  • Posting screenshots of another player's stats or gameplay with the intention to make another player look bad.
  • Describing with inclusion of another players name, actions taken by them with the intention to make another player look bad.

These actions are not permitted on the forums and will be removed by moderators when reported, and action taken against the poster.

While we understand that sometimes these images details the wrong-doing by another player, breaking the rules yourself will not reprimand the other player. If another player is breaking the rules, please use the appropriate reporting functions such as the Customer Support Ticketing System. Details of how to submit a ticket can be found:

Ultimately, regardless of action taken in or outside battle by another player, there is a right and wrong way about addressing:

Say another player does something you disagree with / think is silly / or is rude. You have three choices in responses.

1. Do nothing; Continue playing your game and forget about it.
    1. No negative impact on yourself.

2. Report the player through the appropriate avenues.
    1. No negative impact on yourself.
    2. Player will receive the appropriate punishment for their actions.

3. Attempt to coach/mentor the player on why there is an issue:
    1. Other player retaliates negatively:
      • Ignore this retaliation, or if its bad enough report it via the support system - No negative impact on yourself.
      • Retaliate in kind - Possible reporting of yourself and consequences faced.
    2. Other player is appreciative of the advice:
      • You've helped another player - No negative impact on yourself.

4. Flame/Get angry at them:
    1. Other player retaliates negatively:
      • Negative experience for all players  - Possible reporting of yourself and consequences faced.
    2. Other player ignores you:
      • No impact beyond making yourself look silly - Possible reporting of yourself and consequences faced.

We want the game and forum to be a welcoming environment for all players young and old to enjoy, rules are in place to ensure this occurs. Breaking them in retaliation to another breaking them does not lead to the issue being resolved.

We encourage you all to support this by using the appropriate report functions and avoid breaking rules yourself.

Fem, 

• Cool 14
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 9

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

@Femennenly I asked the following question in another thread, but it never got officially answered. Is naming and praising allowed? Where you show a name of a player that you feel did well or is a fellow Forumer that you wish to compliment and give much deserved positive recognition to?

Often we of course scrub out the names in most screen shots, but are we allowed to include a name of somebody that did well?

• Cool 2

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,371 posts
20,047 battles
14 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

@Femennenly I asked the following question in another thread, but it never got officially answered. Is naming and praising allowed? Where you show a name of a player that you feel did well or is a fellow Forumer that you wish to compliment and give much deserved positive recognition to?

Often we of course scrub out the names in most screen shots, but are we allowed to include a name of somebody that did well?

I don't think I heard naming and "praising"I just heard naming and "shaming"

But it's a fair question

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

2 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I don't think I heard naming and "praising"I just heard naming and "shaming"

But it's a fair question

Naming and faming has always been approved.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Yes that is what I would think as well, but would be good to have 100% confirmation on that being safe to the one posting it. As one of the few Forum trolls might try to swoop in and report the screen shots for containing names despite the post / thread being about complimenting somebody.

[FEM]
2,256 posts
16,142 battles
22 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

That is A-okay and infact encouraged, if you had a great game or experience with another player feel free to compliment them here. 

• Cool 4
  • Confused 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,584 posts
15,711 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

:Smile_great: 

As Brush said, naming and faming is approved. Positive community building is a good thing. 

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,371 posts
20,047 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

But there's definitely a lot of Gray area

For example I saw  @Edgecase  In a ranked battle the other day and watched him die gloriously yoloing into the middle of epicenter,

So I told him I wanted to say Hi but I was too busy mashing my mouse shooting at him

Is this shaming?

So I am pointing out that he failed that game,  Even though hes a much better player than I am I guess I'm shaming him even though was excited to see him

Members
1,872 posts

You might want to improve the forum moderation to an extent. Perhaps appoint more volunteer moderators? I've seen a fair amount of naming&shaming, flaming, name calling, stat shaming, bickering, whining, complaining, multiple duplicate threads topics, and various other issues....

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
3 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

That is A-okay and infact encouraged, if you had a great game or experience with another player feel free to compliment them here. 

Thank you so much for the reply. I figured this was okay, but with the hesitance to display any names in most screen shots I just wanted to make certain officially. 

[FEM]
2,256 posts
16,142 battles
6 minutes ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

You might want to improve the forum moderation to an extent. Perhaps appoint more volunteer moderators? I've seen a fair amount of naming&shaming, flaming, name calling, stat shaming, bickering, whining, complaining, multiple duplicate threads topics, and various other issues....

While there are some automated systems in place that do alert us, we can not be everywhere in the forums at once.

If you find something you believe needs moderation activity or staff to review please hit the report post on the questionable post. This can be found:

image.png

This will leave a notification on staff and volunteer panels, in which will promptly be reviewed. 

Since the volunteer system was a new concept for the NA forums, we wanted to ensure its suitability before expanding it to include more moderators.

Fem, 

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles

Feel free to send some scornful emojis my way if this is a unpopular opinion, but the naming and shaming rule is over-the-top silly.  I understand the need for moderation to some degree, but it's a ridiculous absolute.  I literally cannot say: "Observe this player, he played poorly", regardless of the circumstances, regardless of the level of tact I use, without being censured for it.  Doesn't matter if the guy was deliberately throwing the game or griefing in some other way, I'm not allowed to say it.  It's a competitive game, there are going to be winners and losers, and there's nothing wrong with saying so.

• Cool 15
  • Boring 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,371 posts
20,047 battles
6 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Feel free to send some scornful emojis my way if this is a unpopular opinion, but the naming and shaming rule is over-the-top silly.  I understand the need for moderation to some degree, but it's a ridiculous absolute.  I literally cannot say: "Observe this player, he played poorly", regardless of the circumstances, regardless of the level of tact I use, without being censured for it.  Doesn't matter if the guy was deliberately throwing the game or griefing in some other way, I'm not allowed to say it.  It's a competitive game, there are going to be winners and losers, and there's nothing wrong with saying so.

Welp   farm you a up vote because you're right this is a forum yes there needs to be tact yes there needs to be respect but both sides need to have a voice and not just censored for only good

Otherwise this is not a forum

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,064 posts
36,051 battles

The videos that CCs post here should be on the list of things looked at. In at least one case I know, a CC misrepresented a player I was divved with in a match I was in, to make him look bad. 

@Femennenly

• Cool 1

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

I hate this rule... why?

Because @10T0nHammer is a crap player that needs to be called out. I'll take a strike, I dont care! The truth needs to be told!

Edited by 10T0nHammer
  • Funny 5

Members
1,872 posts
32 minutes ago, 10T0nHammer said:

I hate this rule... why?

Because @10T0nHammer is a crap player that needs to be called out. I'll take a strike, I dont care! The truth needs to be told!

Speaking of Trolls and forum moderation... here's one of the forums' most prolific ones... right on schedule :)

Always here with a "Bored Face". :)

How's your Saipan game going anyways? Any good matches lately? You excited for 0.8.7?

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[PVE]
Members
6,171 posts
22,432 battles
37 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

The videos that CCs post here should be on the list of things looked at. In at least one case I know, a CC misrepresented a player I was divved with in a match I was in, to make him look bad. 

@Femennenly

Solution already answered:

48 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

If you find something you believe needs moderation activity or staff to review please hit the report post on the questionable post. This can be found:

image.png

This will leave a notification on staff and volunteer panels, in which will promptly be reviewed. 

Fem, 

Thanx Fem...there is 1 specific poster in the forums that continually posted comments like, "w/your stats I don't wanna see you on my team" or similar comments.

Just browsing the top 10 most recent posts he'd usually have at least 2 or 3 comments like that on a daily basis for the longest time (funny part about it was he was a reroll that had pitiful stats himself for a reroll w/the few games he had in-all against lower tiered players...but decent enough for a new player so he never got called on it...except by me once...which fortunately stopped him from commenting on my posts anyway).

I've never been 1 to waste my play/forum trolling time filing reports on people & I have seen the "report post" icon before but forget it's there as a quick way to report stat shamers w/out having to go through the tedious process of filing a report.

I'd never use it for anything else as I'm a foul mouthed A hole that has no right to get upset about anything considered profane w/out being a hypo & I wouldn't use it against anybody stat shaming me because I truly don't care about that kind of stuff personally (therefore it would just turn into 1 ignored comment w/out derailing a thread) but I (occasionally...not often but occasionally) see threads get derailed by people that just start shaming because they're losing an argument in the thread & I wish I would have had that icon on my radar quite a few times in the past just to get that 1 person out of an otherwise perfectly good thread.

[PVE]
Members
6,171 posts
22,432 battles
57 minutes ago, 10T0nHammer said:

I hate this rule... why?

Had to give you a funny because you got me...I totally missed you were tagging yourself there the 1st time I read it.

GJ

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,450 posts
15,349 battles
6 hours ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

[CONTENT REMOVED]

:Smile_smile:  Volunteer moderator actions are supervised.  Perhaps not closely enough to your liking, but they ARE supervised.

Edited by Rally_Vincent

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,788 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, 10T0nHammer said:

I'd agree with you .. but I can't afford another strike. 

Or to say it in the high class way:  "You might think that.  I couldn't possibly comment."

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,572 battles
5 hours ago, Taichunger said:

@Femennenly

I think CCs are exempt since they are usually on Twitch or on YouTube. I suppose if they post a video link in the forum someone could do something. I doubt it since there seems to be a "special" relationship between CCs and WeeGees. Seems many CCs end up as employees..... So yeah...…..

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
1 hour ago, DESRON10 said:

[snipped for inane projection]

I laugh at insecure people like who you gets empowerment by calling people with anime profile pics "[edited]".