You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FrodoFraggin

When have xmas ships been announced?

24 comments in this topic

[EQRN]
Members
2,032 posts
17,512 battles

To be clear, not when the ships (PEF, DoY, GS) were released on the dev blog, but when they were announced as the focus of the xmas campaigns?  Thanks!

[-K-]
Members
8,354 posts
14,156 battles

Likely not until late November or early December.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

Honestly, I'd avoid those Christmas crates AT ALL COSTS.

They were amazing when the event first happened a few years ago, but RNG on all kinds of premium crates has dropped *drastically* since then, and if the current French DD event is any indication, you might need to buy 50 of them to get one ship.

[EQRN]
Members
2,032 posts
17,512 battles
10 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

They were amazing when the event first happened a few years ago, but RNG on all kinds of premium crates has dropped *drastically* since then, and if the current French DD event is any indication, you might need to buy 50 of them to get one ship.

Nothing to do with crates at all.  This only has to do with the reward ship of the first campaign (also conveniently purchase-able)

14 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Likely not until late November or early December.

Thank you :cap_like: I’m not really liking any announced premiums that could qualify so far.

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
743 posts
6,688 battles

I spent a small fortune but I was hooked on ships no longer available from helping in that thanksgiving event. I'm a virtual ship hoarder. Gotta collect em all. Dont wanna know what I spent. Poke-Nugget! Still you might get some good no longer in rotation ships but be careful not to get carried away.

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,165 battles
18 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Actually, I thought the second year was the best year. Last year was not as good as the second, but I still think better than the first. The first year there were T2 Premium ships (got two of them), and worthless camo I have never used.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,569 posts
23 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I have gotten 2 of the french DD early unlocks from free crates.

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles
2 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

Actually, I thought the second year was the best year. Last year was not as good as the second, but I still think better than the first. The first year there were T2 Premium ships (got two of them), and worthless camo I have never used.

That first year, I think I spent maybe 100 bucks CDN in crates and got at least 10 ships from it, mostly mid to high tiers, lol. Blew my mind.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

I honestly don't expect much from this Christmas. We seem to be way behind on premium releases for the year, and, if I had to guess, many of the tier IX and X boats that have been (or will be) released aren't going to be included in the Xmas crates.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,165 battles
4 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I honestly don't expect much from this Christmas. We seem to be way behind on premium releases for the year, and, if I had to guess, many of the tier IX and X boats that have been (or will be) released aren't going to be included in the Xmas crates.

I don't know. They had Missouri last year, after it was pulled from the tech tree. I think they will be included, just ay a very low drop rate.

[EQRN]
Members
2,032 posts
17,512 battles

Tap tap tap, is this thing working?  No crates.  Remember the Prinz Eitel Friederich?  The Duke of York?  The Graf Spee?  Not crate ships.  Campaign ships, focus of the... campaign.  

Oh fsck it, close the thread.  

+1 elementary schools for reading comprehension.

• Funny 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,377 posts
20,047 battles
4 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Tap tap tap, is this thing working?  No crates.  Remember the Prinz Eitel Friederich?  The Duke of York?  The Graf Spee?  Not crate ships.  Campaign ships, focus of the... campaign.  

Jb5c754.jpg

• Funny 1

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,165 battles
9 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

You got an answer in the first reply to your question. Nobody is disagreeing with it.

Edited by DustRhino

[GRAVE]
Members
1,271 posts
18,799 battles
1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

To be clear, not when the ships (PEF, DoY, GS) were released on the dev blog, but when they were announced as the focus of the xmas campaigns?  Thanks!

We'll likely know about a month in Advance of the Christmas patch, around late November.

1 hour ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I’m not really liking any announced premiums that could qualify so far.

considering the last two Christmas ships, wouldnt' put hopes up we'll get something very good. Out of all the known premiums in testing, I only see two potential options, Ark Royal and Leone.

the Ark fits because it is a mid tier ship, flies either a British or German flag, and has historical value. She fails because as of right now, she actually doesn't appear to suck like the other Christmas ships, but PEF and DoY also didn't suck before they became Christmas ships.

Leone could fit as she is a mid tier ship, possibly if the Italian arc is happening during Christmas (with how I envision Italian Cruiser testing going, its possible,) she makes sense being the arc's directive reward ship ala Exeter, Lazo, and Sirocco, and is almost garbage so the only thing you would miss out on are winter themed perma camos for the newly released 2019 T6 tech tree ships (Furious, Izmail, Guepard, Trento) and maybe an older veteran of T6 like Fubuki, Gnevy, Aoba, or Pensacola.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,876 posts
16,325 battles

PEF Campaign kicked off Dec 20th with Update 0.7.12 ... as mentioned earlier, was probably known about 4-6 weeks earlier during testing.

https://www.wows-gamer-blog.com/2018/11/world-of-warships-new-collection.html

Edited by DocWalker
typo

[SIDE]
Members
4,699 posts
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Agree 1000%.

In the beginning a fair and reasonable expectation by supporters/buyers that they could actually expect a few ships out of a couple dozen big boxes was reasonable. Spend $50 or so on big boxes and get at least $50-100 or more in ships plus gold or premium time.

It was my most fun and anticipated game event for 2 years.

Last year it was a clusterfork. It paid out mostly camos, signals and other crap you wouldnt pay for even if on sale. I think I blew $150 on crates, getting only the crappykreme and some other forgettable cr@pboat before giving up. I was disgusted. 

Mind you, this isnt entitlement, it was purely well intended support for the game in an event that used to be worthwhile. It's been muted but I hope they turn it up this year.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
17 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Agree 1000%.

In the beginning a fair and reasonable expectation by supporters/buyers that they could actually expect a few ships out of a couple dozen big boxes was reasonable. Spend $50 or so on big boxes and get at least $50-100 or more in ships plus gold or premium time.

It was my most fun and anticipated game event for 2 years.

Last year it was a clusterfork. It paid out mostly camos, signals and other crap you wouldnt pay for even if on sale. I think I blew $150 on crates, getting only the crappykreme and some other forgettable cr@pboat before giving up. I was disgusted. 

Mind you, this isnt entitlement, it was purely well intended support for the game in an event that used to be worthwhile. It's been muted but I hope they turn it up this year.

Honestly, the average on the crate thread was pretty good. Only hundreds of crates in sample size, sure, but if it was even slightly right, I'd say you were more screwed over by the very nature of the beast, not so much the crates being truly worse. If memory serves, it was around 10% so long as one skipped the 1$ crates like is always recommended.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
50 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

We'll likely know about a month in Advance of the Christmas patch, around late November.

considering the last two Christmas ships, wouldnt' put hopes up we'll get something very good. Out of all the known premiums in testing, I only see two potential options, Ark Royal and Leone.

the Ark fits because it is a mid tier ship, flies either a British or German flag, and has historical value. She fails because as of right now, she actually doesn't appear to suck like the other Christmas ships, but PEF and DoY also didn't suck before they became Christmas ships.

Leone could fit as she is a mid tier ship, possibly if the Italian arc is happening during Christmas (with how I envision Italian Cruiser testing going, its possible,) she makes sense being the arc's directive reward ship ala Exeter, Lazo, and Sirocco, and is almost garbage so the only thing you would miss out on are winter themed perma camos for the newly released 2019 T6 tech tree ships (Furious, Izmail, Guepard, Trento) and maybe an older veteran of T6 like Fubuki, Gnevy, Aoba, or Pensacola.

I agree with your reasoning. The current patch finishes out most of what's left of August; the second phase of the French arc finishes August into the latter part of September, and after that we have one more patch until October and Spooky Season. That may be a French Arc patch also, because it's when Mogador and Kleber go live, but it's also quite possible that they will go live in Anniversary Month (with its own particular theme and prizes). Once Spooky Season is over (October to as late as November), then we're all clear for the charge into the new year and the Italian arc to start. 

I doubt Pensacola will be getting a T6 Christmas Arc camo; she got a Bionic Space camo earlier this year that was not hard to win. On the other hand, I'd be more than happy to end up with a free permacamo for the Furious and Izmail.

I am almost certain I would buy the Ark anyway, and I'm moderately interested in the Leone as something weird and wonderful. We shall see what the future brings.

[REVY]
Members
2,287 posts
12,277 battles
5 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

It's August. We still have several holidays before we even think about Christmas.

........already jumping the Christmas gun like the damn stores.......

[SIDE]
Members
4,699 posts
4 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

........already jumping the Christmas gun like the damn stores.......

Well laboweengivingmas is right around the corner after all.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,876 posts
16,325 battles
17 hours ago, thebigblue said:

Well laboweengivingmas is right around the corner after all.

Sounds like a new "Federal" holiday ... kind of made up ... but sounds traditional :etc_red_button:

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
326 posts
17,024 battles
On 8/13/2019 at 11:18 AM, KaptainKaybe said:

Funny, that's where I get all the premium ships I pass on during the year. You must either be unlucky or don't buy enough crates. In my experience, it's better to not buy 2-3 premium bundles and spend that money on Santa crates.