You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tigerspook

New Mexico (8/2019)

13 comments in this topic

Members
165 posts
4,486 battles

I started the New Mexico last night. I first learned, to my horror, it has the good old "standard" US BB speed, about 20 kts depending on your upgrades.  It has 12x 14" guns. That diameter is falling behind the norm for the tier, I think. But there are 12, and that's a lot of hits.

I took it out twice, sans upgrades or modifications, and with an untrained captain.  It did ok, considering. To be honest, I could not distinguish it from the NY.  Hopefully some magic will happen as I develop it. I look forward to learning its guns.

Any suggestions on modifications?

Edited by Tigerspook

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,459 battles

Great ship. Upgrade it fully, put a 19 pt captain on it and the best camos and signals. Well aimed shots hit hard. Texas, Arizona and WV 41 do the same.

[-K-]
Members
8,361 posts
14,164 battles

To be honest, New Mexico is a fair bit better than New York once fully upgraded.  She still has shotgun accuracy and slow speed, but those 12 guns do put a hurting on enemies when they do land.  

FYI, USN battleships don't get "fast" until T8 and North Carolina.  You'll still have to grind through the same slow speed with Colorado at T7, but at least you get 16" guns as compensation.

[--V--]
Members
1,427 posts
13,629 battles

New Mexico is a GREAT ship in many circumstances.  She's slow, so more difficult for you to push yourself into trouble at the start.  Good torpedo protection.  Great guns for her tier.  Learn to aim with her, I have no problem with her accuracy.  But, learn when to switch to HE (angled targets and DDs).

Warning though.  She burns like an mummy doused in gasoline. 

Until I got the Arizona I played her pretty regularly, even though I had grinded the USA BB line.

Cheers!

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,529 posts

You are riding the elephant hunting the tiger, not the tiger hunting the elephant.

Plan ahead, know where you want to be, where you want your guns pointing then make both of them happen. :cap_rambo:

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,131 posts
4,088 battles

I got some bad news for you, that good old USN standard BB speed goes on another tier with the Colorado.

[O_O]
Members
6,451 posts
15,361 battles

Never pass judgment on a new ship in stock trim.

Most ships transform considerably once upgraded.

New Mexico is the first USN BB that I really liked.  I kept it until I got Arizona.  Later, I got a permanent camo for New Mexico, so I have her in my port again.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

I love the NM, good ship, here's a review I did of her a while back, there are some tips and tricks in the review to might help you out 

Oh and one of my best games, a 7 kill match while bottom tier in a t8 match

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/147285-muh-ribbons-7-kill-nm-brag-game/

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,086 posts
23,857 battles

I had no respect for New Mexico not only for the speed, but her unreliable guns.  I had zero respect for her guns, but all kinds of love for Arizona.  It's funny what the difference between 1.5 and 1.8 Sigma can do to these two Battleships.  The 356mm guns is fine in Tier VI.  The power of the shells is also fine for NM.  It's her horrible accuracy, mediocre range, and insanely slow reload.

I'll happily take Fuso over NM.

I will say this.  I did like NM more than I did Colorado in Tier VII.  That is a real Stinker.  LOLORADO's mediocre 406mm x8 rifle accuracy is not up to snuff when she's dealing with Tier IX BBs, all while High Tier BBs Overmatch the hell out of Tier VII BB armor.  21kts in Tier VII is no bueno.  There's a lot of speed in Tier VII on, and you can't outrun, nor run down someone with 21kts.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Members
165 posts
4,486 battles
1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

I love the NM, good ship, here's a review I did of her a while back, there are some tips and tricks in the review to might help you out 

Thanks Psyco. That description is pretty good but 2 years old. Do you have updates?

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
1 hour ago, Tigerspook said:

Not really, I participated in the new CV test from when it first went public all the way to PTS and stopped playing due to burn out. Not much has changed in the game since the new CVs came out so I stand by my review of it currently. Artillery Plotting Room is still a must have because of its garbage range, spotter because this ships dispersion will ruin a smoke dwellers game, ect.

Fight the area to spawn in, if the team lemming trains then either be the point of the spear or the rear guard. Use islands to cover your approach and retreat. Angle 45 degrees to ships with 15" or bigger guns to maximize citadel protection. If your spotted but don't see anyone close to you, then start dodging 

Members
165 posts
4,486 battles

Update.  I "spaded" the New Mex in 16 matches, using only camo - no signals.  Unfortunately my win percentage is only 30%.  So far I rate it a very dependable ship.