You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Folded_1000_Times

I've Always stopped at rank 5, should i continue?

28 comments in this topic

Members
1,140 posts
6,636 battles

Hi folks,

Ive always stopped at rank 5 due to me not thinking the 2400~ steel isnt worth the r5-r1 slog. 

This season ive made it to rank 5 in 63~ battles. 

Numbers are looking good.. but im not sure if i should continue.

Ive been running Jutland almost 100%. Still workable post nerf.

Its very annoying for me, and i tilt even at one mistake.

Anyone can input why i should go for it for the first time this season?

1000499804.png

Thanks,

Edited by Report_CVs
  • Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,245 battles

If you regularly stop at five, maybe it’s an unconscious recognition of your skill level? If so, better to end on a positive note than to push on into possible bitterness and disappointment...

...but then I do tend to be a negative Nelly, so what do I know.

If I were to suppress that, I would say push as far as you can. Maybe stop when you get a level or a loss each day to help avoid burnout.

• Boring 2

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,585 posts
15,711 battles

Up to you really. I usually stop at 9. I did make it to 8 in season 12 but it was a fluke. I'm just average so no need for pushing into grief.

[INTEL]
Members
13,067 posts
36,061 battles

Go for it. Report any aircraft carriers you see

Edited by Taichunger
  • Funny 2

[PVE]
Members
6,173 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, Report_CVs said:

Hi folks,

Ive always stopped at rank 5 due to me not thinking the 2400~ steel isnt worth the r5-r1 slog. 

1000499804.png

Thanks,

How many times does "always" equate to?

Q. - Is the steel for r4 worth the slog from r5-r4?

(Obvious) A. - You'll never know until you try & see how much of a "slog" it actually ends up being.

Take it 1 step at a time & see how it goes. If getting to r4 is a "nightmare of unimaginable proportions" stop there (or before if it reaches that stage before you even get there).

If getting to r4 goes smoothly try for r3.

Unfortunately if you get to t3 (no matter how nightmarish it might have been to get there) you will probably be hooked & only dropping all the way back to r5 (or lower) will be able to snap you out of it & make you quit to save what progress you have already made.

I jest...but can only suggest you set a "limit" on how many losses in a row you allow yourself before you take a break (it doesn't have to be from the game...just ranked) to limit the potential "annoyance" from getting out of control.

Do not play on tilt (of course if you've made it to t5 you probably already know that).

I can only give you my example on why tilt is a bad thing to try playing through.

The last T8 only season (right before the season w/T8 & T10) I ran Mogami exclusively.

I was at 99:65 when I was 1 game from T1. It would have been 165 games to T1 but I lost that game.

No biggie...not like I hadn't lost before. In fact I had a pretty workable system of playing until I got "2 losses w/out a push in a row" before I would quit ranked for the night.

It was a workable system & I had quite a few days there where I got 4 or 5 wins in a row & 6 or 7 stars advanced before getting the 2 losses. I could safely say that I had an actual good experience all the way through the whole ranked season up to that point.

In fact I even hit the "1 game away mark" 6 more times that evening as I was just going back & forth w/out losing the 2 in a row.

But somewhere (still before I hit tilt) during the 6 "1 game away" series I made a mental decision to, "just finish it off tonight". There was still 2 days left but even after each loss I was still only 2 games away so I (still not on tilt remember) just decided to finish.

Unfortunately I eventually lost 2 in a row but I had made the decision to finish that night...& then I lost more than 2 in a row...a lot more than 2 in a row...& then the tilt started to set in...& then the tilt got a little twisted & the twisted got crimped & the crimped turned to bent...& yet I still played on...

By the end of the night (& by end of the night I actually mean the next morning) I had dropped down to r4 w/2 stars before I finally quit for the "night".

The next day I (barely...let's just say that "sleeping it off" didn't stop me from still being quite bent when I started at it again...but...) I did manage to claw my way back up to r3 but it did take me long enough that I was able to calculate that I would have needed to win every game in a row w/the time left to reach r1 so I just quit at r3.

The next day was the 1st time in over 2 years that I didn't even boot up the game & I was still pretty tilted for the whole next week.

But on the bright side...as somebody else mentioned above...all the players above r5 are probably pretty good at team work so there will probably be less spuds to deal with.

GL if you go for it & HF whether you go for it or not. (Sorry about the rambling).

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
2,287 posts
12,277 battles
2 hours ago, Report_CVs said:

Hi folks,

1000499804.png

Thanks,

I'd say go till you feel you've had enough.

If, as you say, you tilt at a mistake, going on is just going to increase that level of frustration as you get closer to rank 1.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,422 posts
13,457 battles

I find R5 ranked the most enjoyable mode after CB, due to better than the usual potatoes mming gives you.  Depending on how you played Jutland, you might need to dial back some of the aggression,  For example I will open up on distracted targets in lower ranks and not be touched, in R5 it’s more likely you will trade HP for that damage, particularly this early in the season when mostly good players make up the population.

Try it, see if you like it.  

[MHG]
Members
345 posts
10,337 battles

I’m in this same boat. I’ve never gone passed R6 as I usually start to fall off around there and get frustrated. This season I have had some epic levels of winning. I’ve carried some matches that were losses and it’s just turned out really well. Around R9 I hit a wall in Georgia and swapped out to Mogador and haven’t looked back. Currently at 84% win rate in her and this has me seriously considering pushing for R1 for the first time ever.

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,376 posts
20,047 battles

do it 

For the most part it's a different level of players 

@DGPitbull3  Was streaming R5 last night  It was fun to watch maybe get some ideas

Lol I think he has to be on all week so you'll get your chance to watch him tonight if you want

Edited by silverdahc

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

It depends on whether you are enjoying the play.  If you are enjoying it and don't care about preserving your rank 5 status, then keep going.  If it is frustrating, then stop.  You can stop at any time if you feel you aren't gaining anything.  Trying is always worth it.

Members
1,140 posts
6,636 battles
6 hours ago, silverdahc said:

do it 

For the most part it's a different level of players 

@DGPitbull3  Was streaming R5 last night  It was fun to watch maybe get some ideas

Lol I think he has to be on all week so you'll get your chance to watch him tonight if you want

Dg and his dd play doesnt teach me anything I don't already know.

I don't care for cruiser or bb play.

6 hours ago, Cakeman826 said:

I’m in this same boat. I’ve never gone passed R6 as I usually start to fall off around there and get frustrated. This season I have had some epic levels of winning. I’ve carried some matches that were losses and it’s just turned out really well. Around R9 I hit a wall in Georgia and swapped out to Mogador and haven’t looked back. Currently at 84% win rate in her and this has me seriously considering pushing for R1 for the first time ever.

I'd like the mogador, but I just saved free xp to unlock the kebler when the line comes out

7 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I find R5 ranked the most enjoyable mode after CB, due to better than the usual potatoes mming gives you.  Depending on how you played Jutland, you might need to dial back some of the aggression,  For example I will open up on distracted targets in lower ranks and not be touched, in R5 it’s more likely you will trade HP for that damage, particularly this early in the season when mostly good players make up the population.

Try it, see if you like it.  

I mean I like the high level of play, but i cant get past the inevitable tilt. One star losses tilt me, especially if it wasn't my fault.

Getting past that is why I dont play rank r5+.

I dont get tilted in CB because I know the other 7 are good players.

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,376 posts
20,047 battles
1 minute ago, Report_CVs said:

Dg and his dd play doesnt teach me anything I don't already know.

I don't care for cruiser or bb play.

Oh I was just enjoying the Meta i don't play battleships either but enjoyed watching it from that point of view and hes playing ranked right now so it's interesting,  and enjoyable to listen to

[CVLUL]
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
5 minutes ago, Report_CVs said:

I mean I like the high level of play, but i cant get past the inevitable tilt. One star losses tilt me, especially if it wasn't my fault.

Getting past that is why I dont play rank r5+.

I dont get tilted in CB because I know the other 7 are good players.

Let it teach you patience.  It will make you a better player.  Admittedly I can rage to over it, but that rage does not let you play better, almost always you end up playing worse.

[MHG]
Members
345 posts
10,337 battles
5 minutes ago, Report_CVs said:

I'd like the mogador, but I just saved free xp to unlock the kebler when the line comes out

I’ve not really thought of myself a DD player since I never have been able to knife fight very well and it always ended with me dead in 4 minutes but it seems like the French DD line is one I can work with. Really fun line to play as well. 

Members
1,140 posts
6,636 battles
1 minute ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Let it teach you patience.  It will make you a better player.  Admittedly I can rage to over it, but that rage does not let you play better, almost always you end up playing worse.

I'll have to try that, easier said than done.

Members
1,140 posts
6,636 battles
1 minute ago, Cakeman826 said:

I’ve not really thought of myself a DD player since I never have been able to knife fight very well and it always ended with me dead in 4 minutes but it seems like the French DD line is one I can work with. Really fun line to play as well. 

Mogador is dangerous in the right hands. Especially if you can force a 1v1 where his enemy team cant shoot you.

Torps are workable too.

[CVLUL]
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
3 minutes ago, Report_CVs said:

I'll have to try that, easier said than done.

Mind set is a huge thing for DD players IME.  Maybe a little suffering will help build a tolerance to your potato allergy.

[MHG]
Members
345 posts
10,337 battles
3 minutes ago, Report_CVs said:

Mogador is dangerous in the right hands. Especially if you can force a 1v1 where his enemy team cant shoot you.

Torps are workable too.

Quite. I’ve had some highlight reel moments with mogador and other DDs not realizing how quickly it can cover ground and just how strong reload booster is. I’ve rushed several DDs who are covered in smoke and by the time they realize what is going on they are half dead. They are deadly little boats. 

[MHG]
Members
345 posts
10,337 battles
10 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Mind set is a huge thing for DD players IME.  Maybe a little suffering will help build a tolerance to your potato allergy.

I think the more I play them the more I feel comfortable doing so. Never really figured I was a good enough player to manage DDs when it counts. So far this season that seems to be more my mindset than what is actually happening. I’m even gimped with a 16 point captain and don’t run RPF and I’ve still managed some amazing plays. 

[CVLUL]
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
1 hour ago, Cakeman826 said:

I think the more I play them the more I feel comfortable doing so. Never really figured I was a good enough player to manage DDs when it counts. So far this season that seems to be more my mindset than what is actually happening. I’m even gimped with a 16 point captain and don’t run RPF and I’ve still managed some amazing plays. 

The thing is you learn little by sitting on the side lines watching.  Get in the fray, get messy, and figure it out.  If you get stuck on an issue plenty of guys here, myself included are willing to help out.

[MHG]
Members
345 posts
10,337 battles
2 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

The thing is you learn little by sitting on the side lines watching.  Get in the fray, get messy, and figure it out.  If you get stuck on an issue plenty of guys here, myself included are willing to help out.

Mogador so far as taken me from  rank 9 to 6 and I’m 13 wins 2 losses with both saving a star doing it. Watched lots of people but you are right... watching helps a little. Throwing down is where you really learn the ropes. Even without the 19 point captain it’s done me well and I’m not running rpf at the moment. I may make the switch and see what happens there since R5 is where it gets wild.