pastore123

Latin speakers

7 comments in this topic

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
960 posts
9,462 battles

I am inquiring about anyone that speaks Latin. I am looking for someone that can help with pronunciation and eventually conversation (when I reach that level). I currently am quite the beginner. I own two Latin books; one grammar (Henlin Latin Grammar) and Henlin Latin First Year. 

Many help would be appreciated. Preferred method of conversation is discord. Thank you! 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,765 posts
4,630 battles

That's not a simple question because while Latin is a dead language, it was not dead until it died in the 1960s.  Pronunciation and usage changed over time.  Classical Latin, scholastic Latin, church Latin, are all different -- not grammatically, but in pronunciation and usage.  My advice, pronounce everything, and pronounce every vowel the same.  There are no silent letters in Latin.  Not sure about hard and soft 'c' (or g).  It's been close to 50 years since my last class.

• Cool 2

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
960 posts
9,462 battles
6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

That's not a simple question because while Latin is a dead language, it was not dead until it died in the 1960s.  Pronunciation and usage changed over time.  Classical Latin, scholastic Latin, church Latin, are all different -- not grammatically, but in pronunciation and usage.  My advice, pronounce everything, and pronounce every vowel the same.  There are no silent letters in Latin.  Not sure about hard and soft 'c' (or g).  It's been close to 50 years since my last class.

I am fluent in Italian. It’s the language I speak at home. Would you say that it follows the same phonetic pronunciation?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,765 posts
4,630 battles

Not at all.  For one thing, there's no indication that the ancients spoke with and through elaborate gestures.  (I lived outside Rome for a short while and learned that one can "speak Italian" without actually speaking Italian.  Love the country (except Naples).)

I jest.  Sorry I can't be more help.  Are you taking a language class?

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
960 posts
9,462 battles
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Not at all.  For one thing, there's no indication that the ancients spoke with and through elaborate gestures.  (I lived outside Rome for a short while and learned that one can "speak Italian" without actually speaking Italian.  Love the country (except Naples).)

I jest.  Sorry I can't be more help.  Are you taking a language class?

I'm glad you had the chance to live in Italy! Although Sicily is where my heart is! 
I'm not taking a language class, it is self study. Something I have wanted to learn for the last 10 or so years. You have been a help though! Thanks!

Sign in to follow this