You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xLeadSledx

RUNNING scared from the start ?

32 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
222 posts
28,413 battles

I was wondering why anyone would play a Random Battle and run away from the start of the game ? Is it because you think WOWS is a game of TAG ? Scared of hurting the ship ? CO-OP is for you.

So you players know it does not hurt to get killed in the game, no bruises or cuts and you can play again when ever you like, over and over and it is FREE !!! for the smart ones.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
3,585 posts
12,976 battles
4 minutes ago, xLeadSledx said:

I was wondering why anyone would play a Random Battle and run away from the start of the game ? Is it because you think WOWS is a game of TAG ? Scared of hurting the ship ? CO-OP is for you.

So you players know it does not hurt to get killed in the game, no bruises or cuts and you can play again when ever you like, over and over and it is FREE !!! for the smart ones.

Why would you run away from bots in co op?

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,878 posts
4,881 battles

some people just like to see the world burn

Members
1,872 posts

It's just a symptom of a personality trait in real-life that some players will have. Some are apprehensive.

Most of the fear I see in game is from BB's who refuse to act if they think a DD is in front of them or if torp bombers are inbound. They'll throw the entire match, freak out and go broadside to other BB's, hit islands, and run to the map borders over their episode of terror.

They absolutely cannot function without somebody scouting for them.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,441 battles

@xLeadSledx They are daring you to report them in a support ticket for cowardice or rigging the match. Rather than ask here since none of us knows the answer submit a support ticket with the replay attached.

Members
4,313 posts
4,585 battles

I figured it was new players who are still learning what works. I saw a bottom tiered Pensacola the other day take the long way around by starting the match heading towards the map wall and sailing close to it until the enemy on a flank eventually came to them. Can't be shot at if you're not the first to be spotted and are the furthest away. 

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,583 posts
15,711 battles

Have to find the happy medium between running back behind spawn and hitting flank speed forward straight into the enemy to be focus fired to death in a act of yolocide. I've seen both.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,801 battles
4 hours ago, xLeadSledx said:

Do you know how much camouflage skins cost these days in the premium shop, people don't just sail around to fight they want to look good you get hit and its ruined, get your priorities in order :Smile_teethhappy: 

Edited by tm63au
  • Funny 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

The closest thing to running I do is as a DD in a CV match. And even then, I just press E twice and do a full 360 or only go at 1/4th speed till I know what the red's planes are doing. Although, I suppose I do take is pretty slow in a bottom tier KM BB. Have to be real careful with them till you find a nice place to go hard on.

Well, ignoring as a CV. But I haven't used those much in a while, and complaining about a CV positioning like a coward is like complaining about a DD positioning like they have a death wish. You'd be doing so so often that you might as well just not. :Smile_teethhappy:

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
4 hours ago, xLeadSledx said:

Are they running away? I would think that is an assumption on your part. Each player is free to use the tactics they choose regardless of how we feel about them.

• Boring 1

[THOR]
Members
461 posts
6,086 battles

Maybe some do that so they won't be first one killed. We know how toxic it can be to be first killed.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles
6 hours ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Why would you run away from bots in co op?

It happens more than you think.

qqInpDq.jpg

A Georgia hiding behind an island at Full HP.  In Co-op, it's not a big problem because that's less competition for the rest of us to farm damage / kills, etc.  But if this happens in PVP, and it does, this can be crippling to a team.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KRAK]
Members
3,714 posts
21,728 battles
6 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

It's just a symptom of a personality trait in real-life that some players will have. Some are apprehensive.

Most of the fear I see in game is from BB's who refuse to act if they think a DD is in front of them or if torp bombers are inbound. They'll throw the entire match, freak out and go broadside to other BB's, hit islands, and run to the map borders over their episode of terror.

BBs are scared.png

• Funny 3

[GOOF]
Members
669 posts
5,893 battles
7 hours ago, MajorRenegade said:

Couldn't help it

maxresdefault.jpg

[YORHA]
Members
5,007 posts
9,992 battles
8 hours ago, MajorRenegade said:

From a great distance.

Had a Random battle yesterday that started with an Iowa turning around in spawn and heading for the furthest island he could find.  He sat there until the rest of the team was wiped out and then came charging in against 6 ships to save the day.  He probably got 2 salvos off before he died.  I checked.  243 total PVP battles and he is driving an Iowa.

And ruining the game for everyone else and costing them flags and camos.

Edited by JCC45

[HINON]
Members
3,254 posts
26,511 battles

From my experience it’s always a North Carolina that somehow manages to survive the match with all or most of his HP intact. 

Members
25 posts
99 battles
1 hour ago, Vaffu said:

BBs are scared.png

Unfortunately I have opposite reaction sometime when I play a BB. CHARGE to the smoke!! :Smile_izmena:

I'll get over it one day.

[KRAK]
Members
3,714 posts
21,728 battles
59 minutes ago, CPTKushi said:

Unfortunately I have opposite reaction sometime when I play a BB. CHARGE to the smoke!! :Smile_izmena:

I'll get over it one day.

That is almost always better than flipping a U turn and geting torped broadside. Most BB players seem to have a hard time figuring that out

[WOLF7]
Members
12,596 posts
10 hours ago, xLeadSledx said:

You've been here this long, and yet still can't come to grips with who the player base is?:Smile_glasses:

Spoiler

H75kkN0.png

This pretty much says it all. 78% of the players in this game play less than 1 game per day. 92% of players play less than 3.3 games per day.

Welcome to the most casual combat game ever devised.:Smile_medal:

Members
99 posts
10 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

And yet your stats are private....

What are you fearful of?

• Confused 1

Members
99 posts
8 minutes ago, awiggin said:

You've been here this long, and yet still can't come to grips with who the player base is?:Smile_glasses:

Reveal hidden contents

H75kkN0.png

This pretty much says it all. 78% of the players in this game play less than 1 game per day. 92% of players play less than 3.3 games per day.

Welcome to the most casual combat game ever devised.:Smile_medal:

Um, it's a game, not a career.  Some of people do leave the basement

• Funny 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles
10 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Its not just DDs that scare players.  Some are just apprehensive and don't like getting shot, like the health is coming directly off of them personally. 

I had a T10 game in my Alsace where I noted an enemy  Yamato moving all the way from the east side of the map to the west side.  Their west side was more heavily fortified than the east side and ours was split evenly.  Our team had pretty much eliminated the enemy by the time he got there so I was pushing up the west flank leading the charge.  There was a big island between my support and the Yamato, so I wasn't going to get any help right away, but we had the game in hand, so I wasn't worried.  The Yamato came at me bow on and even gave me a good punch in the face, but I golf slapped him back in retaliation.  I figured I was going to go down because I couldn't trade blows like that.  I guess the little damage I did to him scared him, because he immediately started a turn and his turrets couldn't keep up.  He could no longer hit me but he presented a nice broadside.  I finished him off from near full health in 2 volleys from my front guns.  He should have killed me, but because he was too afraid to get shot, he died much quicker.  It pretty much sums up how players react in the game.  If they take a shot, all logic goes out the window, and players start to panic and do stupid things. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,131 posts
14,323 battles

I was wondering why anyone would play a Random Battle and run away from the start of the game ?

So did I, when I saw a full-health Helena turn immediately hard left at the very start of the battle and run to the back of the map, ramming into my New Mexico en route. Sure, I can understand US light cruisers wanting to get into a kiting position at the start for when the enemy appears, but by the time that happened this guy was well beyond his own gun range and still running.

It's hard to think of when I've been more tempted to TK someone.

What's worse is that his clan tag made it very clear where he lives, and it only reinforces the negative stereotypes about the usefulness (or lack thereof) of players from there.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,890 posts
17,938 battles

I was wondering why anyone would play a Random Battle and run away from the start of the game ?

Ever play a T8 CV in a T10 match?

There's a time to push, but it isn't in the beginning.  Sitting still will get you killed.  Running parallel isn't too smart either unless you have cover, and are paralleling to your strong side.  That only leaves one other option.  RETREAT!  Well, actually, simply backing up is fine.  But it's still a retrograde.

CV's aside, there are some ships that do very well at mid to long range.  And there are some maps where the best position to deliver attrition is retrograde.  This is highly situational...but there are some maps and ships where a retrograde is the best strategy.

As a brawler type, I don't play those ships very often. But I do occasionally.

The key is to NOT retrograde in a brawler...and to NOT brawl in a sniper.  At least not in general. 

When I see a sniper in the back, I'll often give them the benefit of the doubt if I haven't been in a position to see their contribution.

There are also some retrograde strategies on Standard mode, where the idea is to get in a good flanking position.