Capt_Ahab1776

college esports

11 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,683 battles

ASU is introducing a Esports team this fall. I was unaware colleges did this. I see a opportunity for WoW/WG

paging @Kami @Femennenly @TheURLGuy

Might be able to reach out and make a contact?

https://www.astate.edu/news/esports-team-to-compete-for-a-state-starting-in-fall

WP_20190812_18_06_29_Pro (2).jpg

• Funny 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,683 battles
29 minutes ago, awiggin said:

You're kidding right? :Smile_amazed:

About the esports or opportunity for WG?

No, not kidding at all. Esports is probably more popular now than ever. I just had no idea colleges was participating. I think it will grow. Our beloved WoW reaches across a wide cross section of society. I had no idea until I joined. Even more so after getting to know some of my clan members. Lots of professionals play WoW alone.

If just making a contact helps the WoW community I'm all for it. I'd like to see warships go for a long long time. 

[5D2]
Members
165 posts
6,310 battles

College esports teams have been around for a while now(+/-10 years) and there's a few games that have college only leagues. For example, Rocket League has the RLCS(Rocket League Championship Series) for "pro" players, but they also have the CRL(Collegiate Rocket League).

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,683 battles
52 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

This is the saddest thing I've read in quite a while. Esports are a freaking disgrace.

I consider it egames. Much like WoW, a egame

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,567 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I consider it egames. Much like WoW, a egame

It is all so silly. I imagine you could make an argument for calling computer football/baseball/soccer etc an "e-sport" but it is all just competitive gaming. Not sure why everyone has to pretend they are "e-athletes" or why they are ashamed of just being called gamers. It is all ridiculous.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,683 battles
Just now, Taylor3006 said:

It is all so silly. I imagine you could make an argument for calling computer football/baseball/soccer etc an "e-sport" but it is all just competitive gaming. Not sure why everyone has to pretend they are "e-athletes" or why they are ashamed of just being called gamers. It is all ridiculous.

I'm not ashamed. Just a Johnny Come Lately to it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,567 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I'm not ashamed. Just a Johnny Come Lately to it.

I guess. I like your word much better (egame) because that is exactly what it is, an electronic game.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
30 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

It's the uniforms and fake camaraderie and such that initially threw me. But the over-arching matter of calling it a "sport" is what really sticks in my craw.

The root of all professional sports is a combination of talent and athleticism, both of which are honed by grueling, repetitious layers of weeding that drive all amateurs and pretenders from the final ranks. When you look at, say, baseball, most of us couldn't make the cut for our JV high school teams. Yet this is the first of something like five more competitive "rungs on the ladder" before you even get paid for playing ball, let alone making it to the major leagues. People who get to the bigs don't just need to be incredibly athletic (and this is even more true for something like the NFL or the NBA), but they also need to have the raw, lightning-quick reflexes necessary to compete against others at all levels. Additionally, we can rest assured by the enormous recruiting base for a sport like baseball (a multi-national game that starts funneling children into the meat-grinder practically in kindergarten) that what we're seeing on the field is likely the best of the best of the best.

Then there's something like NASCAR, which isn't a sport, but at least requires some amount of talent and perseverance in the face of weeding to progress. In car racing, the machines are performing the "athletic" exertion; the mechanics have tuned them to their maximum, while the drivers are just steering, drafting, and holding in their piss for hours on end. Still, the best drivers have at least overcome a number of hurdles to get to the highest level (like crappy races held at your local podunk track, where the vast majority of racing careers end), and I don't believe just anyone could sit down and pilot a stock car around a track at 180mph (though I do think a fair number of us could be taught).

And then there's e-sports. Is there talent involved? Yes... but I'm not convinced it's the best talent because there aren't enough levels of competition (or a big enough pool of people involved) to firmly establish that those competing are even remotely the superior to all comers (every high school doesn't have an e-sports team; every kid who picks up a video game controller isn't thinking about a potential future playing in the Blizzcon Tournament). Moreover, there is zero - absolutely zero - athleticism involved, unless you count leaning to the right occasionally to fart, or stretching out your bone-white arm to grasp the nearest can of Mountain Dew. In fact, the only real requirements I can see to become a pro gamer is that a person suffer from chronic unemployment and borderline personality disorder (at least borderline). 

E-sports players aren't heroes; they aren't amazing; they haven't overcome immense challenges; they haven't proved against a gauntlet of millions of others that they are the best possible competitors imaginable... they're just a cadre of spoiled, listless losers who drift through the ranks of a few thousand other coddled man-children drawn from basements nationwide. What they do isn't a sport, it's a shambles of lethargic extravagance.  

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Sign in to follow this