You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Giantsgiants

I visited the Missouri

16 comments in this topic

Members
322 posts
2,310 battles

When you get up close, it really looks big and imposing. Plus, the ship's corridors are like a maze. My mom felt like she was going to get lost in there.

8CUxdpp.jpg?1

KJHsIeL.jpg?1

• Cool 6
  • Boring 2

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,277 battles

Hey Captains,

Please keep political talk, posts, titles and anything else related to politics off the forums.

Instead focus on the awesomeness that is the Missouri!

Thanks!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 5

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,735 battles

I would love to visit the Missouri and the Arizona Memorial. The Missouri parked right behind the Arizona on purpose. Arizona symbolizing the beginning of WW2 for America and the Missouri symbolizing the end of WW2 with the surrender being signed on her deck. Very powerful.

• Cool 2

[WOLF8]
Members
381 posts
7,451 battles

Such a poorly done museum ship, though.  Hey look, another berthing space...  Very little access to anything truly interesting.  Alabama is a much better museum ship.

[--K--]
Members
1,347 posts
10,222 battles
1 hour ago, MikeLWX said:

Such a poorly done museum ship, though.  Hey look, another berthing space...  Very little access to anything truly interesting.  Alabama is a much better museum ship.

I feel like they keep her in such condition for future recommissioning (doubtful)? I wish I could go to Hawaii to see it.

Edited by BarneyStyle

[TOG]
Members
191 posts
10,483 battles

I beg to differ Mike.

My wife and I were there a couple years ago and there were two tours available. The cheaper basic one only had you running around a few decks.

The "Heart of the Missouri" tour was the 5 hour one with a guide which included:

- climbing inside turret 2 via the rear overhang hatch and full tour of the gunhouse

- thru officers quarters and cabins to the damage control stations to the wardroom

- crews quarters and galley

-climbing down thru the main armored deck to Broadway ( the passageway the runs longitudinal down the center of the ship from turret 2 to turret 3 ) to the main damage control station with access to all the indicators for all  compartments including all flood valve control 

- tour of Broadway to all firerooms, main and secondary gunnery computer plotting  rooms including a demo

- climbing down to the main engine room and laying hands on the throttle and looking over all the engines 

- ladder to the keel area below engine room ( only for a few )

- up thru rear crews quarters and galley and emerging behind turret 3

- up to the superstructure, nav bridge, captains chairs and  quarters 

- tour of the armored conning tower

- into the combat center where they fought the ship including all missile fire control systems

- tour of armored box launchers for Tomohawks

I could go on, but we were on the ship about 7 total hours.

Fantastic tour, well worth it.

FUN STORY:

In various places especially the engine room, Broadway and firerooms there were drawings of Bart Simpson and a Bart doll in one of the gauges by the main throttle. I asked why and the answer from the tour guide was that during the action off Iraq, the Iraq version of "Tokyo Rose" was constantly broadcasting english language propaganda to the US forces.

Apparently they tried to demoralize the American services by telling them famous people were sleeping with their wives and girlfriends back home and showing their ignorance as to the fact that Bart Simpson was a cartoon, everyone on the 'Mo howled with laughter because one night they dedicated one story to the sailors of the battleship that Bart Simpson was sleeping with all their wives.

So they had so much fun with it there is Bart Simpson artwork all over the ship.

:)

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
1 hour ago, BarneyStyle said:

I feel like they keep her in such condition for future recommissioning (doubtful)? I wish I could go to Hawaii to see it.

When I was there, that was the reason they wouldn't let us look around.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I would love to visit the Missouri and the Arizona Memorial. The Missouri parked right behind the Arizona on purpose. Arizona symbolizing the beginning of WW2 for America and the Missouri symbolizing the end of WW2 with the surrender being signed on her deck. Very powerful.

Arizona Memorial is one of the things everyone should see (if they get a chance to go to Hawaii).

• Cool 1

[LRM]
Beta Testers
536 posts
8,213 battles
2 hours ago, MikeLWX said:

No, no, and NO! I visited her 2 years ago including the Heart of the Missouri Tour, and it was very comprehensive from the Number 2 Turret to the engine room and after fire control. The guide was very knowledgeable, and gave me a piece of information that I didn’t know about regarding the ammunition load of an Iowa-class battleship.

Plus here’s something that not even the Alabama has.

24BABEDE-326B-4585-8A92-08BD997B8476.jpeg

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
8 minutes ago, HawaiiJon said:

No, no, and NO! I visited her 2 years ago including the Heart of the Missouri Tour, and it was very comprehensive from the Number 2 Turret to the engine room and after fire control. The guide was very knowledgeable, and gave me a piece of information that I didn’t know about regarding the ammunition load of an Iowa-class battleship.

Plus here’s something that not even the Alabama has.

24BABEDE-326B-4585-8A92-08BD997B8476.jpeg

They've upgraded the tour to include the turrets and engine room?

I'm jealous.

[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,766 battles
30 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

They've upgraded the tour to include the turrets and engine room?

I'm jealous.

When I was there almost 6 years ago it was alright, but not as good as the others described. 

Funny story, I slept on a mattress from the Mo for a few days after my ship was towed back in Pearl Harbour following a major engine room fire. Many of our mattresses were ruined by smoke, and water from the damage control efforts, and the only source of mattresses that would fit the racks on the accommodations barge was Mo. Spent two months on a barge in Pearl Harbour before our ship was towed back to Esquimalt. 

[SIDE]
Members
4,705 posts
4 hours ago, MikeLWX said:

Not been to Mizz or Arizona so I couldn't say anything about them but Alabama is a fantastic museum 

Edited by thebigblue

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
399 posts
10,613 battles
2 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Arizona Memorial is one of the things everyone should see (if they get a chance to go to Hawaii).

Indeed. Navy sent me to Pearl once, went back on honeymoon & again 25th anniversary. Each time I made time to go to the Arizona, honor my uncle, and every other man, still aboard.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,805 posts
4,631 battles
8 hours ago, MikeLWX said:

Alabama is a much better museum ship.

Alabama is a great museum ship!  If I made it out to Hawaii to see Missouri and it wasn't as good, I'd be upset.

:Smile_honoring:Arizona. R.I.P.

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF1]
Members
180 posts
19,567 battles

Planning on checking out the Missouri with my son in a few weeks, but trying to find the most comprehensive tour available.  This "heart of the Missouri" says its only 90 min according to the website.  If anybody has more info, please pass it along.