Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Xcalib3r

Salem vs Yoshino

24 comments in this topic

[UEFN]
Members
1,336 posts
23,072 battles

Between the two, which one would you get first and why? 

Salem is pretty much a Des Moines clone with a few things neutered (only 9km radar range, one less consumable slot, etc.), but the super heal made this a better option than DM to hold a flank and support  behind cap, to help her withstand longer duration of focus fire.  Drawback is, unlike the DM this thing doesn't have any legendary upgrade.

Yoshino is just another HE spamming scrub with the same kiting playstyle as Zao, Hindenburg, or Henri. 

Members
6,858 posts
15,357 battles

Salem. It's actually viable in comp play. Yoshino is meh for comp play. It can't do what a zao can do with its concealment. 

• Cool 2

[ANKER]
[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
574 posts
12,883 battles

Both ships I would consider at opposite ends of gameplay styles. Salem similar to DM is a rock hugging monster with some open water capabilities. Yoshino is  an open water kiter with a higher skill ceiling. I have yet to purchase Salem and only have the Yoshino to speak from experience wise.

[INTEL]
Members
3,058 posts
16,815 battles
1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

Do you like TKing folks with torps accidentally?

If so the Yoshino is perfect.

Yes, but the hilarity of dropping a never spotted Tashkent within the first 3 minutes of the battle is, well, priceless.

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

Yoshino for sure. Her HE is very very strong, her guns very accurate at all ranges, and unlike Azuma, she has 30mm deck and casemate to be able to bounce some shells, lol. And if ever the IFHE changes go through, she'll be the queen of Tier 10 HE spam.

Salem ... it's just a Des Moines, man. The super heal is nice to have, but given DM's playstyle is to remain concealed and lob shells over islands, I'd rather have the radar range than the heal. Although Salem does come with the premium camo by default, unlike Des Moines. Plus as others have mentioned, you can't equip the Legendary upgrade which I hear is a game changer. In fact, I haven't played DM myself in a while and maybe should start to again just to get that upgrade, lol.

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles

I value uniqueness when it comes to premium/reward ships, in that regard I consider Yoshino more unique than Salem, so I got it first.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

The unfortunate reality is that the strengths of Yoshino suit Tier X better than Salem.

But then again, if you got Tech Tree Zao and Des Moines respectively... Especially DM with her Legendary... It starts looking awkward.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
63 posts

I'm in the same boat. Really close on the coal so I'll be choosing soon myself between these two or maybe tier 10 cruiser Smolensk if it comes sooner than later.

Right now i'm leaning towards Yoshino because it would be a unique fighting style for me and the Salem is so close to another ship I can get.  Smolensk also offers something unique compared to anything I have played so far so I think both that and the Yoshino are ahead of Salem for me.  I do think I would not be unhappy if I chose Salem but I think I will enjoy the other two more.

Edited by soltic

[-KIA-]
Members
3,475 posts
14,834 battles

Yoshino can pen 50mm without having to spec for IFHE. 

If you do spec for IFHE for whatever reason, you can pen 60mm so Yamato and Kreml deck armour. After the IFHE change, I can see Yoshino be a pick for competitive, along with maybe Hindenburg

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
6 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

Salem is pretty much a Des Moines clone with a few things neutered (only 9km radar range, one less consumable slot, etc.), but the super heal made this a better option than DM to hold a flank and support  behind cap, to help her withstand longer duration of focus fire.  Drawback is, unlike the DM this thing doesn't have any legendary upgrade.

Yoshino is just another HE spamming scrub with the same kiting playstyle as Zao, Hindenburg, or Henri. 

If you already have zao get salem... if you already have DM get yoshi...

Islands are not the waifu for me so i abandoned usn ca/cl at t9... needless to say salem doesnt appeal to me...

I grabbed yoshi... and every time i play her i wish i had brought zao instead... that may change hugely with upcoming ifhe tweaks... because yoshis 5k+ HE shells are quite impressive when you consider conqa are only in the 7k's.

Just be careful with her long legged fish. Whose bright idea was it to make a stealth torping battlecruiser with 310mm guns again? :fish_palm:

[KNCOL]
Members
191 posts
5,791 battles

I recommend Salem. Yoshino is a decent level of cool, but the honest truth is that Henri serves the exact same role but better.

Salem is pretty much the ultimate cruiser killer. If played correctly, absolutely no other cruiser can win a fight against Salem. If you actually make the most of it, the improved heal makes a big difference too.

[AK-47]
Members
280 posts
7,631 battles

I got both since I have enough coal anyway. However, after playing both, I like Salem more.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
6 hours ago, Sweaty_Anime_Girls said:

I recommend Salem. Yoshino is a decent level of cool, but the honest truth is that Henri serves the exact same role but better.

Salem is pretty much the ultimate cruiser killer. If played correctly, absolutely no other cruiser can win a fight against Salem. If you actually make the most of it, the improved heal makes a big difference too.

The problem about being a Cruiser Killing Cruiser is that there are more than enough Battleships that hog up that duty.  They're more than happy to do that, and their guns in High Tier are quite capable of that job.  There are lots of BBs, the higher in tiers you go, the more there are in the game.  Just as you can easily get 4-5 DD games, the same can also be said with BBs.  Hell, it stopped surprising me years ago when I saw 4, 5, even 6 BBs in a game.

[4HIM]
Members
3,022 posts
12,650 battles

Have both.  Bought the Salem a while back but only recently obtained Yoshi.  I enjoy Salem a lot more, but I've played it a LOT more.  Plus I unlocked the DM not long after I bought the Salem.  Don't yet have Zao.  I've played the DM and Salem a bit.  Barely played a handful of matches in Yoshi.  So far, I like Salem a lot more.  But that could be down to familiarity.  Haven't really gotten much use out of the torps.  Given you need to play at range, plus the fact they take so incredibly long to load, you'll have a lot of friendlies in front of you by the time they're available.  Perhaps you could use them if you see a flank has collapsed.  But you have to really watch it as a friendly DD (or Georgia) could be fast enough to catch one if they notice the collapse and flex back over to help.  

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles

I got the Salem before the Yoshino came out, but I would do the same thing now. In terms of XP accumulated per day in my port, she is my most-played premium. She trails the Warspite by about 10K XP, but I've had the Warspite since June last year and the Salem only since Christmas 2018. She is a joy to play in co-op.

If you play co-op at all, the Salem will eat a broadside Yoshino alive.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[BSL]
Members
1,202 posts
20,878 battles

I vote Yoshino.  Much better torp arcs than Zao.

And who would be dumb enough to turn Yoshino broadside to anything Ensign?

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

I can't recommend the Yoshino.  Certainly not for the asking price, even with a coupon.

Sure, it's nice to have a Tier X premium but I found it underwhelming.  Especially the guns.  While they are accurate, ever since first getting it I seem to keep getting the same minimal HE damage rolls with every salvo, no matter how many rounds actually hit.  The guns feel as though they're bugged.  AP works well enough on appropriate broadsides but when using it you often get inexplicably frustrating dispersion that you don't seem to get with HE.

I like and typically do well in Japanese Cruisers, but I don't like the Yoshino and regret buying it.

YMMV.

Edited by Kuckoo

[WOLFG]
Members
551 posts
12,652 battles

I don't have the Salem, but I do have the DM, so not sure how much different they would be.  That said, I got the Yoshino a couple days ago. I absolutely love it. 

I have played 9 games in it so far.  Am averaging 105k damage, 1913xp per game.  My best stats in any ship. It's very easy to accumulate damage with it.

It is a very fun ship to play in my opinion.

[INTEL]
Members
3,058 posts
16,815 battles
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

I can't recommend the Yoshino.  Certainly not for the asking price, even with a coupon.

Sure, it's nice to have a Tier X premium but I found it underwhelming.  Especially the guns.  While they are accurate, ever since first getting it I seem to keep getting the same minimal HE damage rolls with every salvo, no matter how many rounds actually hit.  The guns feel as though they're bugged.  AP works well enough on appropriate broadsides but when using it you often get inexplicably frustrating dispersion that you don't seem to get with HE.

I like and typically do well in Japanese Cruisers, but I don't like the Yoshino and regret buying it.

YMMV.

I only have 7 battles in the ship but I'm averaging 113k in it.  My highest T10 average ship.  I expect that will go down over time but it's still a fair margin ahead of my 2nd highest average ship.

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,745 battles
17 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

This is a hard call for me. Both ships have some downsides.  I've had DM for ages and it's one of my favorite ships and is very versatile although it took me years to learn to use it. I do not have or like Salem. To  me the weak radar and inability to mount DM's legendary module is a deal breaker. Inability to keep DDs from perma-spotting you just gets you blapped by a Montana or something and Salem's heal won't help with that. Part of my perception of Salem is also colored by the fact that it has been available for a while and quite a lot of people have it and are pretty awful with it. People seem to yolo in with it constantly thinking that the heal will save them.

That being said, Salem is a much more versatile ship than Yoshino is. I have Yoshino and I regret the purchase. Other than long-range sniping I can't figure out what this ship is good for. It is clumsy handling, it is a really big target and it really can't safely tank BB rounds in its range at any angle or at any distance. Long range rounds punch through its deck easily. As people have said the long-range torps really are just TKs waiting to happen. They work for area denial to some degree but the ship has to play so far back that it is rare you have clear firing lanes and at any time one of your own DDs could move back in front of you and eat some of them. I like Zao, I don't really like Yoshino. If I could sell it back for a fraction of the coal I paid for it I would. Oh, I forgot, Yoshino is REALLY, REALLY vulnerable to AP bombs. It has a really weak deck that lets all AP bombs in its range do citadel damage with regularity and it is so big it eats a LOT of bombs with a good drop and its AA isn't good.  I haven't seen a ship this comparatively fragile above Nuremburg. Yoshino's only real upside to me is its guns are REALLY nice. If only the hull was at all worthwhile. 

Ultimately, I don't love either of those but I dislike Salem a lot less. If you are in a division (which I rarely am) its vision flaws can be mitigated. If you really want one of the two and you don't have DM already I would get Salem. It isn't as versatile as DM is but it is no slouch. Yoshino is just frustrating to use. Personally, since I have DM, I would pass on both and wait for a more interesting cruiser (Siegfried maybe) or maybe spend the coal on Georgia. 

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

The choice of ship pretty much depends on your play style.  They are completely different.  The Salem echoes the island hugging play style with the ability to come out to bow tank and trade shots for the kill.  The Yoshino is a kiting ship that needs to stay at range where you can move around and go dark if needed.  Both have their strengths in the right hands, but the strengths are completely different and are not interchangeable.  I have my DM but not the Zao, so I am leaning towards the Yoshino myself.  I have more than enough coal to get it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet, because there isn't a pressing need.  I don't want to put myself in a coal crunch in-case something else pops up in the near future.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
4 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

I only have 7 battles in the ship but I'm averaging 113k in it.  My highest T10 average ship.  I expect that will go down over time but it's still a fair margin ahead of my 2nd highest average ship.

That's great you're getting those numbers.

I don't know what the deal is.  Multiple shell hits per HE salvo into soft areas, superstructure, hull extremes, casemate area - 5000-ish damage.  Every.  Single.  Time.

I don't get this issue with any other IJN cruiser I've played.

Very annoying...

Sign in to follow this