You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

PSA: Check to see if Resupply for In-game Currency is Enabled on your Camo

24 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,595 posts

I suddenly noticed today that my supply of doubloons was nearly depleted. Where did they go? I checked to see if I'd inadvertently re-spec'd a commander, nope they were all spec'd. I then went through the consumables resupply of each ship, nope these all looked like they resupplied with credits. I then played all of the ships I'd played today one by one. A-ha! The problem lie with the Minotaur. I checked and, to my consternation, I noticed that a camo that I'd won a few of in an event had automatically set to re-supply with in-game currency and it cost 125 doubloons each! Needless to say, I'll be much more aware now of what's going on when I don that pretty "free" camo.

That's pretty darn expensive camo for no more than it does.

image.png.99ffb7e27be08705e6ba7f2f098d4184.png

Edited by Snargfargle

[A-I-M]
Members
3,015 posts
13,269 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

I suddenly noticed today that my supply of doubloons was nearly depleted. Where did they go? I checked to see if I'd inadvertently re-spec'd a commander, nope they were all spec'd. I then went though the consumables resupply of each ship, nope these all looked like they resupplied with credits. I then played all of the ships I'd played today one by one. A-ha! The problem lie with the Minotaur. I checked and, to my consternation, I noticed that a camo that I'd won a few of in an event had automatically set to re-supply with in-game currency and it cost 125 doubloons each! Needless to say, I'll be much more aware now of what's going on when I don that pretty "free" camo.

Au contraire!!!

It is an immensely valuable camo!

It does a lot: It earns WG 125 doubloons a pop when players miss that setting.

Not many camos do that. It’s WG’s favorite.

• Funny 2

[WOLFC]
Members
1,611 posts
9,436 battles

Ouch. :Smile_sad:

This is why I’m paranoid and hardly ever set anything to auto re-supply outside of premium consumables...

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,390 posts
14,152 battles
6 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Ouch. :Smile_sad:

This is why I’m paranoid and hardly ever set anything to auto re-supply outside of premium consumables...

The only time I set resupply is CB but otherwise I deal with flags and camo on my own.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

There is absolutely no legitimate reason for that auto resupply.  Of all the iffy stuff WG dies to make money, in my opinion having flags and camo sold automatically for doubloons unless you opt out is the worst.  Nobody is going to pay 125 or 50 for camos or the 4 and 5 whatever for flags.  It is specifically designed to leech doubloons out of the system without players being aware.

It's a predatory system that should be removed.  No camo or flag should be sold for doubloons...or if they are, put them in batches in the armory and not on auto resupply.

• Cool 3

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,406 battles

I check every resupply with in game currency settings before clicking on battle. It is easy enough to do and those few seconds saves the doubloons.

[PVE]
Members
6,123 posts
22,432 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I suddenly noticed today that my supply of doubloons was nearly depleted. Where did they go? I checked to see if I'd inadvertently re-spec'd a commander, nope they were all spec'd. I then went through the consumables resupply of each ship, nope these all looked like they resupplied with credits. I then played all of the ships I'd played today one by one. A-ha! The problem lie with the Minotaur. I checked and, to my consternation, I noticed that a camo that I'd won a few of in an event had automatically set to re-supply with in-game currency and it cost 125 doubloons each! Needless to say, I'll be much more aware now of what's going on when I don that pretty "free" camo.

How many doubs did you lose all together?

I was spamming (translation...not wasting my time checking post battle stats after each battle) the Emerald in co-op for some RN damage mission a few months back & lost 1150 doubs by accidently equipping the type 6 instead of the type 5s (they look so much alike & of course they are right next to each other).

There was some low tier premium ship mission (forget which right now) I was grinding for but let me tell you...whichever it was I definitely remember it surely wasn't worth that much.

Worst part is there's an exception policy for some things (such as an accidently purchased port slot for example) that you can use occasionally (3 times a year last I checked but that may be different now) but of course camos (& signals) don't apply because you "get the benefits from them immediately" so they can't go into your account to take back the extra XP (or whatever in case of signals) that you gained from them whereas port slots they can refund as long as you keep it empty.

[4HIM]
Members
3,013 posts
12,525 battles

I've never checked that box.  But after the last patch I was looking at what I had mounted on some ships and found one that had been.  Seems like one or two flip at random after a patch.  Fortunately for me, this was on a ship I don't play much.  But did notice it when knocking off the summer flakes.  Only resupply I had enabled was to mount one of those free no-bonus camos.  But still, the "take the doubloons" box had switched over to enable that.  

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Type 59's are so rare in my port that I only fit them when I'm at the end of a grind and need that extra boost to just get it over and done with (e.g. to finish a ship before the end of a snowflake period or before I go away on holidays). I always, ALWAYS check auto-replenish OFF before I mount it.

The only time I don't do this is on the Public Test Server, where we (usually) get given more doubloons than I can ever hope to spend in the short time available.

[TF16]
Members
277 posts
12,495 battles
6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The exact same thing happened to me. I got a few from some containers and I didn’t realize I had them auto refill. I caught it after I had lost 500 dabloons 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,595 posts
5 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

How many doubs did you lose all together?

It was several hundred! I was beginning to build them back up and thinking about another permacamo and then they were gone. Well, it's my fault for not being aware enough, I guess. 

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
48 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It was several hundred! I was beginning to build them back up and thinking about another permacamo and then they were gone. Well, it's my fault for not being aware enough, I guess. 

Don't blame yourself for falling victim to a predatory UX.

WG could trivially add a "never resupply consumables with doubloons" profile option and prevent this type of thing ever happening. They haven't.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

all those nickles and dimes do add up for them, predatory system designed to fleece those not paying attention

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

I've gotten used to setting camos, signals, and consumables manually every match.  It's habit.

I never trusted the auto-pay settings in this game.  Set it one way, and a week or two later I notice it reverted back when I know I didn't change it back.

Yeah, no...

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,550 posts
8,473 battles
2 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

I've gotten used to setting camos, signals, and consumables manually every match.  It's habit.

I never trusted the auto-pay settings in this game.  Set it one way, and a week or two later I notice it reverted back when I know I didn't change it back.

Yeah, no...

One thing the forums have taught me is to never set auto resupply.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,592 posts
Just now, Kuckoo said:

Yeah, no...

Except anything involving real money should NEVER default to pay.....

They play the same game with the flags. But the way it's implemented, it will only reset when you remove all flags and then reinstall and re-enable.

It's a cheap tactic to scam the unwary, when it involves doubloons, it should always default to OFF.

[0456]
Members
3,600 posts
9,506 battles

And it's that kind of conniving, misleading [edited] that has eradicated my trust of almost everything WG does in general. Of course it's to put more $$$ on the spreadsheet, and I understand that it's not a charity- but the fact that "in game currency" is defined differently even just between consumables and signals / camo is deplorable. 

It's such a simple thing to standardize and yet people are getting bamboozled by this constantly... It exhibits a pretty clear apathy towards customer advocacy on the part of WG. 

A snip from a thread I started on the subject back in 2016

On 11/4/2016 at 9:50 PM, _ENO_ said:

3) I played some of the [edited]halloween missions because it was something different and... as much as I thought they were [edited]they added some new content and a new aspect and I retract some of my [edited]opinion about them. I won some Halloween camo from it- I don't know... 6-8? Whatever it was. So of course while I'm grinding for containers I left it on. It occurred to me quite a few missions in that I must be running low on those camos- but I kept playing them... and they kept appearing. I'd forget where I was because I have the brain cell count of a plant. Eventually I caught on. Wasn't it a surprise for me when I realized that the "auto enabled" resupply button mowed through all the awarded camos and conveniently just started billing me doubloons. Why would there not be a transition between won camo and doubloon camo? No mention at all? No difference? Hmmm... Wargaming. 

I respect that there are different mechanisms to make money and be successful... there are smart people at the helm and the objective is to stuff money into their pockets. Losing streak? I'll get over it. [edited]up this costume party award... starting to turn. Then this subtle bait and switch? Amateur.

/gear grind 

Edited by _ENO_

Members
36 posts
7,053 battles
36 minutes ago, Ozium said:

all those nickles and dimes do add up for them, predatory system designed to fleece those not paying attention

Maybe the reprehensible individuals who implemented this have enough cajones to come in and explain why this is even a thing. 

Gah, I crack myself up!

• Funny 1

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles

15 minutes ago, FishBeak said:

Maybe the reprehensible individuals who implemented this have enough cajones to come in and explain why this is even a thing. 

that gave me a good laugh, thank you

[PVE]
Members
6,123 posts
22,432 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

2 hours ago, enderland07 said:

Don't blame yourself for falling victim to a predatory UX.

WG could trivially add a "never resupply consumables with doubloons" profile option and prevent this type of thing ever happening. They haven't.

In lieu of that they could separate the 2 types of camos (type 6 & 59-along w/any new ones they happen to add in the future) requiring doub resupply to the very end of the camos so somebody would have to scroll all the way down to equip them or just give them their own separate tab in the camo section.

I was gonna possibly suggest the start of the camo section alternatively but if they did that they would end up putting them after all the perma camos & the closeness of the tye 6 not only to type 5 but also to the type 1 & 2s would probably cause a lot of people (used to having the type 1s right after the perma camos) to equip them instead of the type 1s.

...which btw reminds me of another bone head move I pulled years ago during a discount type 1/2/5 camo weekend...

I used to equip the cheap camos on all my port queens during those discounts & unequip them afterwards to farm some free creds & due to all the extra camo options for the Bismarck (from the Bismarck event) I accidently ended up buying the permacamo for it instead...it was (in the camo queue) placed about where the type 1s were usually placed on all the other ships & it was late & I was zipping through them all real quick...didn't notice until the next day I was 3k doubs short.

BTW...accidentally purchased perma camos are NOT covered under the exceptions policy for refunds...even if they were never used in battle.

But you know what they C'est..La Vie

• Cool 1

[ROTTN]
Members
54 posts
13,420 battles

I remember a year ago when I discovered / learned that this is where my doubloons were disappearing to. At first I thought I had just left it enabled, woops I said, wont do that again. Then it happened again, and then again. Was kinda pissed about it as was new to the game and nieve to the (going to use the word "desperate") ways of WG.  As I learned more I felt it was really cheap to nickle and dime your client base in such a fashion, so certainly didn't earn them any respect from me.  Was planning on buying some premium time at that time and well my mind got changed.

Today......  I see WG now as nothing but a close gypsy family running a street side, "B grade" newspaper stand, trying to justify their Gucci price tags.

Its too bad as I would gladly open my "whale skin" wallet to keep the game growing and trying make it better. Free does not keep the lights on so they have to make money somehow. I get it.

I just will not give out my visa number for fear of getting ripped off and then told, too bad you should have noticed. 

• Cool 1