You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tom_Lin

I feel team play isn't a thing in coop.

42 comments in this topic

[AK-47]
Members
302 posts
9,591 battles

Well, I just played few games with my Moskva in coop battle.

In the battle, I played normally, hug an island, prevent fire from the flank, and bow tank 1 DD, 1 Moskva and 1 Georgia.

I and the Gearing are the only 2 players on this flank. So, when the Gearing smoke up, I used my radar. The radar spotted the bot DD.

We took down the bot DD togethor. And guess what happened?

The Gearing yoloed both Moskva and Georgia.

And here is the result:

514948186_WorldofWarships2019-08-1110_56_35PM.thumb.png.bb4f9347a430fcf3bd1501b92f6c88d8.png

1080469877_WorldofWarships2019-08-1110_56_40PM.thumb.png.9df789aa5986e0839df6e0bdde3b6c7d.png

To be honest, I wasn't too surprised by this, as it happens pretty often in Coop battles.

If you are a DD, you charge forward, smoke up when you been spotted, wait for your team to spot for you, gun down enemy DDs, and yolo the rest of the bots.

Funny enough, I find sometimes it is easier to get better result in coop by letting your teammate die.

For example, in the battle I just mentioned, if I didn't use my radar and hide behind the island. The Gearing in my team will be hardspotted by the bot DD, and will be focused by 1 DD, 1 Moskva and 1 Georgia. It is really likely the Gearing will die. He probably gonna be able to sunk the bot DD and doing some heavy damage the bot Moskva and Georgia (depending on how lucky his torps are), but I probably won't be ended up at the bottom of the team since he doesn't have the chance to yolo the Moskva and Georgia.

I am curious what people think is the proper action under this situation. Is it gonna be a better idea to go for team play? Or is it better to treat your fellow teammate in coop battle as competitor and leave them to their fate?

I gonna be honest, I have tried both, and I kind of feel playing selfishly in coop battle usually gives you better result......

[PVE]
Members
11,943 posts
21,023 battles

In Co op it's kind of a free for all, about the most team work you will see, is if some one holds back torps so they don't hit you, but don't count on it. It might be better if WG took away the zero point win in Co op, so all of the potential HP could be farmed. I expect people to not spot for me when playing a DD and plan my smoke accordingly.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[CHIGR]
[CHIGR]
Members
3,641 posts
18,525 battles

Don't get me wrong, I like coop and play tons, but coop is quite poorly named as it's mostly where you compete against your team to farm XP.

Edited by pikohan
  • Cool 2

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,332 battles

@Tom_Lin the only teamwork you can expect in any mode is when you division with friends and/or have several friends on the team with you. Other than that you can not depend on any of the others to play intelligently. 

Your team won so what are you complaining about? If its your low score that's on you not that DD.

Also if you see my name in any battle on either side you can depend on me to either play atrociously inept or devastatingly well. In between performances are rare.

• Cool 3

Members
1,205 posts
7,438 battles

To be honest, the only real way to get consistent team play in Co-Op, Randoms, or Operation Scenarios is to division up with other people. That's not to say you won't have games where your team works together to get the win, but it just doesn't happen a lot in Co-Op.

[AK-47]
Members
302 posts
9,591 battles
32 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Tom_Lin the only teamwork you can expect in any mode is when you division with friends and/or have several friends on the team with you. Other than that you can not depend on any of the others to play intelligently. 

Your team won so what are you complaining about? If its your low score that's on you not that DD.

Also if you see my name in any battle on either side you can depend on me to either play atrociously inept or devastatingly well. In between performances are rare.

No, I am not saying the DD is doing anything wrong. As you said, my choice made me at the bottom of the team.

Like I said, it is not something that happens first time. You can see thing like this happening in coop battles pretty often. At the point I choose to peak out of island, tank damage and use my radar, it's simply make it easier for the Gearing to yolo those bots.

Edited by Tom_Lin

[AK-47]
Members
302 posts
9,591 battles
48 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

In Co op it's kind of a free for all, about the most team work you will see, is if some one holds back torps so they don't hit you, but don't count on it. It might be better if WG took away the zero point win in Co op, so all of the potential HP could be farmed. I expect people to not spot for me when playing a DD and plan my smoke accordingly.

Yeah, that's exactly what I do when I play DD in coop. I kind of feel coop as a whole has some problems. It isn't really "coop", more like "damage farming competition".

I really feel senario battles are more coop like. Since there are more teamwork appears in senario battles. Especially the hard ones. Sometimes you can see people trying to coordinate with others via chat at the start of the battle.

• Cool 1

[AK-47]
Members
302 posts
9,591 battles
8 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

To be honest, the only real way to get consistent team play in Co-Op, Randoms, or Operation Scenarios is to division up with other people. That's not to say you won't have games where your team works together to get the win, but it just doesn't happen a lot in Co-Op.

True. But I feel the Co-Op battle is the one tha most lack of "Co-Op". I found sometimes in Randoms and Operations, sometimes there gonna be player trying to coordinate with the team via chat. I pretty much never see that in Co-Op battles.

[PVE]
Members
11,943 posts
21,023 battles
2 minutes ago, Tom_Lin said:

I really feel senario battles are more coop like. Since there are more teamwork appears in senario battles. Especially the hard ones. Sometimes you can see people trying to coordinate with others via chat at the start of the battle.

If you want team work on scenarios and have discord look for the Hoperations discord channel. We have Narai down enough, that we can do it with a 4 man team.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,943 posts
21,023 battles
3 minutes ago, Tom_Lin said:

True. But I feel the Co-Op battle is the one tha most lack of "Co-Op". I found sometimes in Randoms and Operations, sometimes there gonna be player trying to coordinate with the team via chat. I pretty much never see that in Co-Op battles.

It's Co op kind of in a way, a way like 8 Rambo's going after 8 bots, to see who gets the most points.

• Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,359 battles

There is no real tactical game play in co-op, the bots pretty much sail forward shooting. 

So no real need for team work.  Get into a good position quickly and farm damage as fast as you can before it's all over.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
16,908 posts
22,074 battles

Its co-op... Any class can do what the DD did... I just dont understand why co-op mains want to change/adjust it in any way...

co-op right now is perfect.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,460 posts
35,521 battles

For the most part COOP games don't really last long enough for extensive team play. I do get irritated by players taking advantage of others by not fulfilling their roles, e.g. DDs hanging back behind CAs and BBs, or BBs attempting the long game in COOP. Unless you're pretty good, bot BBs will outsnipe you, and kill you, if not with AP then they will burn you to death with more fires than London saw in 1666.

• Cool 2

[USCC]
Members
3,869 posts
18,294 battles
4 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

In Co op it's kind of a free for all

Pretty much sums it up.
The only team work I see once in a while, are the red bots working together to focus fire me. :Smile_trollface:

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,825 posts
29,908 battles

There is no team-play in Co-op, it's every man for himself.

With Co-op games having 8 enemy ships max they don't last long at all.  Matches often go just 3.5-5 minutes long, and in that span, everyone is out for themselves.  That's not a lot of HP, ships for us to farm, so me, I'm getting everything I can.  With Co-op games being so short that it's normal for people to get 300 or so BaseXPs through no fault of their own, resulting in extremely poor rewards to the point of eating Credit loss even in mid tiers... Yeah, you better get what you can.

I've had some good Co-op games with 600, 700, 800 BaseXPs and you can still get sh*t for rewards.  So anything like the average 300 BaseXPs that can easily happen, you can lose Credits.

If I could have a way I'd literally leave absolutely nothing for my teammates.

You have to be super aggressive if you want to make out with at least passable rewards, otherwise you're eating Credit losses.  The moment you slack up on aggressiveness, the player(s) that are will surge past and get all the damage, kills.  Lord help you if you are playing a low or mid tier BB that only goes 21kts, and you hesitate one moment and not try to push.  Even in High Tier ships where ship speeds are in general much faster, if you slack off on being aggressive, the firepower of all the ships there (BBs, DDs... Except Carriers, they suck) cause all the enemy bots to not last long at all.  DDs like Shimakaze, Benham, Yugumo, or powerful Battleships like GK, Yamato, whatever... The bots don't last long to that firepower.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
17,082 posts
37,410 battles

You are competing against your teammates to get your damage in before the game is over. However, with that said, you do see team play in Co-op (or I have) when those games happen where you get down to the bots and only a couple of you are left vs multiple bots. At that point people will start chatting about what to do and work together - usually. 

• Boring 1

[VOP]
Members
624 posts
11,790 battles

The only real time team play comes into it is when you are in the hole and everyone must play to the objectives for the win. There are many times where you can find yourself  the last man standing...those times are increasing.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,502 posts
29,692 battles

In co-op, you are kind of competing against the other human players for damage/points. Rarely do you actually have to pull together as a team to defeat the bots although in most games, you actually do work as a group by sticking together. It is pretty rare to see someone wander off on their own for two reasons. One is the bots will hunt you down if you are by yourself and the second reason is the bots are charging ahead. There is no other tactic, they are coming towards the lowest health point ship at full speed. It is what makes the mode fun. 

Members
2,209 posts
7,744 battles

I find the most enjoyable co-op matches are ones where I am divisioned up with my regular division mate.  We have been playing together long enough that I can anticipate what he will do without even chatting about it.  

For example, let's put me in a cruiser and him in a destroyer.  I will always follow him to his position of choice.  He knows this and doesn't need to ask for support.  If he smokes up and powers through, the smoke is for me and he's going to agressively spot.  That means I need to focus his targets.  If he smokes and hides, I need to power through and provide spotting.

If we are both in battleships, we usually form a "line of battle".  If he is ahead of me and sets up for a joust with an enemy battleship, he knows that I will follow him ready to finish off the enemy if necessary.

Sometimes we will end up on opposite sides of the map but not very often.  I can rely on him to play for the team (he and I are the team).  Our goal is to be 1st and 2nd on the list at the end of the battle.

You just can't get that kind of cooperation with a random.

[VOP]
Members
624 posts
11,790 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Slattery said:

find the most enjoyable co-op matches are ones where I am divisioned up with my regular division mate.  We have been playing together long enough that I can anticipate what he will do without even chatting about it.  

For example, let's put me in a cruiser and him in a destroyer.  I will always follow him to his position of choice.  He knows this and doesn't need to ask for support.  If he smokes up and powers through, the smoke is for me and he's going to agressively spot.  That means I need to focus his targets.  If he smokes and hides, I need to power through and provide spotting.

If we are both in battleships, we usually form a "line of battle".  If he is ahead of me and sets up for a joust with an enemy battleship, he knows that I will follow him ready to finish off the enemy if necessary.

Sometimes we will end up on opposite sides of the map but not very often.  I can rely on him to play for the team (he and I are the team).  Our goal is to be 1st and 2nd on the list at the end of the battle.

You just can't get that kind of cooperation with a random.

That sounds familiar to me as well. Me and my div mate @Airjellyfishdon't even have to communicate our speeds anymore. We just fall in and battle on. :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

In Co-op, for good results, neither a YOLO nor a camper be. 

YOLOs die fact enter a hail of concentrated bot fire.

Campers barely see the enemy, or get focused if they do because the bots fixate on stationary targets. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

Members
2,209 posts
7,744 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

In Co-op, for good results, neither a YOLO nor a camper be. 

YOLOs die fact enter a hail of concentrated bot fire.

Campers barely see the enemy, or get focused if they do because the bots fixate on stationary targets. 

Well said.  +1.

It does feel a bit like balancing on a knife's edge, doesn't it?  :cap_like:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
5 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Well said.  +1.

It does feel a bit like balancing on a knife's edge, doesn't it?  :cap_like:

There's a balance there, and it seems like more and more players coming into Co-op don't understand it.

The battles in which 3 or 4 human players are dead less than a minute after contact with the bots are becoming more common. 

Perversely, the battles in which you have to really watch for much of the team to hide and leave you hanging against multiple bots are also becoming more common. 

[USCC]
Members
3,869 posts
18,294 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The battles in which 3 or 4 human players are dead less than a minute after contact with the bots are becoming more common. 

Always remember PVE is easy mode, you can go to sleep and still win, this has been said over and over so many times that pretty much all the none PVE main's believe it.
I mean they must be right?... right?

Hop into PVE for a quick frenchflake drop, easy peasy...it's an auto win.

Can't wait till our mode is back to normal and these tryhards have gone back to the holes to which they came.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,502 posts
29,692 battles
6 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

Always remember PVE is easy mode, you can go to sleep and still win, this has been said over and over so many times that pretty much all the none PVE main's believe it.
I mean they must be right?... right?

Hop into PVE for a quick frenchflake drop, easy peasy...it's an auto win.

Can't wait till our mode is back to normal and these tryhards have gone back to the holes to which they came.

I have actually had more losses with the influx of players not familiar with co-op, especially at higher tiers. Seen loads of them hollering about cheating bots which always makes me laugh a bit.. I believe my win rate has taken a nose dive from 99% to 98%..... :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1