You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chain_shot

Molotov does not live up to its name

27 comments in this topic

[PIMPS]
Members
1,492 posts

Not sure what was done to nerf this ship but its been nerfed bad. This boat was able to set fire easy and now it struggles in 50 hits to set two. This ship no longer lives up to its even with demolition and IFHE plus flags.

Its crap as a premium.

Pitiful.

Members
3,679 posts
8,104 battles
2 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

Nothing was done to nerf this ship. The ship has remained unchanged since her release last year. 

IFHE is not necessary for Molotov, with 30mm stock HE pen only tier 8 battleships can stand up to her high explosive firepower. IFHE skill comes with quite a fire chance penalty, that could be what's interfering with your performance.

Good luck.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles

Except Molotov hasn't gotten nerfed? Her fire chance is still the same.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,479 posts
1 minute ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Nothing was done to nerf this ship. The ship has remained unchanged since her release last year. 

IFHE is not necessary for Molotov, with 30mm stock HE pen only tier 8 battleships can stand up to her high explosive firepower. IFHE skill comes with quite a fire chance penalty, that could be what's interfering with your performance.

Good luck.

It was released in 2016.

She hasn't been nerfed, just power crept, a lot.

Members
1,069 posts
11,640 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

It was released in 2016.

Dang it, beat me to it.

Members
1,289 posts
2,399 battles

She really isnt a big fire starter even though her name might suggest that. Also her ap can be a lethal surprise as well for Cruisers and BBs.

Members
3,679 posts
8,104 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

Oops. My bad.

Still, how is she power crept? She still one of the more powerful tier 6 cruisers with extremely powerful AP and HE, surpassed probably only by ther tier VI Pensacola, which traded gun handling and maneuverbility for such power.

[PIMPS]
Members
1,492 posts

I've had her since release. If her fire chance is the same since then at 10% she sure is not setting fires as before. 1/25 chance is terrible. I know about her guns and AP and given its been a while since I played her. She is lagging behind other 6's like the French, German and IGN T6's in fire setting.

Edited by Chain_shot

[WOLFC]
Members
1,622 posts
9,458 battles

Molotov has nine of the same 180mm guns as the Dmitri Donskoi at tier IX. They have no problems setting fires.

I love my Molotov. The hull is made of tissue paper and it turns like a bus, but those guns are wonderful at tier VI.

• Cool 3

Members
80 posts
2,843 battles

I just started playing it, and it might be my favorite low tier cruiser now. Those guns are some of the most OP by tier in the game. Seems like every time I take it out its 80k+ damage and the win. 

Members
9,159 posts
11,172 battles
3 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

I've had her since release. If her fire chance is the same since then at 10% she sure is not setting fires as before. 1/25 chance is terrible. I know about her guns and AP and given its been a while since I played her. She is lagging behind other 6's like the French, German and IGN T6's in fire setting.

There's this thing known as "RNG", it affects whether or not you get a fire, as does DE, and the fire coefficient of each tier, and whether or not a ship has FP as a captain skill. More, she is unchanged from her release state, and is still one of the most powerful cruisers in her MM spread, plus, her AP is insanely good.

"I had ONE match where things didn't go like I believe they should!" doesn't mean a ship got nerfed.

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,877 posts
4,881 battles

the only thing that got nerf was the fire chance of demolition expert skill

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles
2 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

I've had her since release. If her fire chance is the same since than at 10% she sure is setting fires as before. 1/25 chance is terrible. I know about her guns and AP and given its been a while since I played her, she is lagging behind other 6's like the French, German and IGN T6's in fire setting.

Let's use the 10% then. As we all hopefully know, if not here is the page with useful information on that matter, fire chance is only a raw stat.

So in order to be able to look at it with a little more accuracy, we have to factor in the fire resistance coefficient to get a theoretical fire chance. As it depends on the target you're firing at your fire chance in your MM spread will vary from 8.668% against an A-Hull T5 Tech Tree ship to 6.337% against a fully researched T8 ship. We'll keep the 8.668% in mind as the ideal fire chance, you won't get higher than that unless you equip fire flags to your ship.

Now looking at the worst case, fully researched T8 ship, we shall add some modules and upgrades that reduce the chance of a fire. That calculation is rather simple:
Fire chance = 0.6337 * (1 - 0.05 - 0.1) * (0.13 - 0.03) = 0.0539
Or in simple terms, your worst possible theoretical fire chance is 5.39%.

So in conclusion, your theoretical fire chance will range between 5.39% and 8.668%

Now we have a theoretical fire chance, but that is, as the name implies, a theoretical one. We now have to consider for two rather simple factors:
1. Not every shell can physically set a fire. A shell hitting a spot that is already on fire can't add a fire on top of the flames. So whenever one of your shells lands on a spot already burning, this shell will automatically have its fire chance dropped to 0. Your result screen obviously won't tell you about a fire you might have set if the spot hadn't been on fire before.
2. RNG is in its nature random. In the case of fire chances you'll sometimes end up with the 5.39% fire chance setting a fire with every tenth shell in a match, in others it'll take 40 for one. It's not a guaranteed value, but the average you can expect over a large sample size. It's like throwing a dice. Theoretically speaking you get the six eyes every sixth time you throw. But as we all know, such things can't be relied upon.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,047 posts
35,989 battles
35 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It was released in 2016.

This. I stopped playing it. It also gets screwed by the T6 MM.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles

Molotov is an Aegis and Killer Whale ship, Massive credits have been made by me with it. Who needs to set fires with it, when it can citadel BBs and cruisers alike. If you are trying to set fires with it your using it wrong.

shot-19_08.05_23_49.53-0866.thumb.jpg.576fa8ea4078ee35411bc530298a41bd.jpg

shot-18_05.18_23_07.27-0320.thumb.jpg.13de0204761ab46b176881d9de94bd47.jpg

shot-18_09.07_14_02.43-0738.thumb.jpg.c9aa1766f6c062ae7a27562305df0f16.jpg

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,266 posts
25,117 battles
1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

Molotov has nine of the same 180mm guns as the Dmitri Donskoi at tier IX. They have no problems setting fires.

I love my Molotov. The hull is made of tissue paper and it turns like a bus, but those guns are wonderful at tier VI.

Hooray?

Kind of like with carriers; it seems I get more 'Why the hell am I even here?' bottom tiered games in Molotov than games where those supposed tier 9 guns are actually worth a damn.

Use it in Ops. Otherwise it's a worthless port queen to me.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,710 battles
2 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

this is the case

[WOLFC]
Members
1,622 posts
9,458 battles
28 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hooray?

Kind of like with carriers; it seems I get more 'Why the hell am I even here?' bottom tiered games in Molotov than games where those supposed tier 9 guns are actually worth a damn.

Use it in Ops. Otherwise it's a worthless port queen to me.

Nothing supposed about them. They are the exact same guns with only slightly less range than the stock guns on the Donskoi. In randoms Molotov needs to be played at near max range as a support ship (thankfully it has great ballistics and a spotter plane), or you need to ambush around islands with your great AP and 4 km suicide torps. The hull is only a slightly better Kirov, so it explodes when BBs look at it funny.

But I agree that it is hard to be effective in a tier 8 match where the 15.5km range is pretty underwhelming. The guns can still smack around tier 8 ships, but her (lack of) armor really hurts her in those games.

[PVE]
Members
6,130 posts
22,432 battles
3 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

Not sure what was done to nerf this ship but its been nerfed bad. This boat was able to set fire easy and now it struggles in 50 hits to set two. This ship no longer lives up to its even with demolition and IFHE plus flags.

Its crap as a premium.

Pitiful.

SireneRacker gave the formula for figuring out the fire chance but 2 basic differences are covered in your OP...as MajorRenegade clarified DE only gives a +2% fire chance increase right now (where it used to give 3%) & (as The_first_harbinger pointed out) IFHE takes away 3% (which I don't believe existed when the Moltov 1st came out) so your base 10% +3% used to give you 13% w/just DE & now w/only +2% & -3% you're down to 9%.

Add the fire prevention skill & not only do you have only 3 instead of 4 places to start potential fires on certain ships (w/no way to know which ships) but also that adds* a -10% chance to start fires on those ships.

Now add (*or should I say subtract...to be honest I'm staring to get a little confused myself) to all of that (thanx to the combination of daily coal opportunities in the containers & the ability to spend either coal or credits on fire prevention signals in the armory) another -20% chance to start fires on just about every ship in just about every battle when back when the Moltov 1st came out signals were mostly saved for ranked seasons only due to how hard it was to actually obtain them for most players.

So "power crept" kind of applies but it's not that any of the newer ships have less of a base chance to be set on fire...just that there's a whole lot more options to prevent fires...& by the way...did I mention the fact that even if you do set a fire on a DD or a cruiser it burns for a lot less time than it used to now?

Hope that helps summarize the basics there for you.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles

Nothing has changed with Molotov herself.  The only change she dealt with was long ago when Match Maker was altered and Tier IV became protected.  This resulted in Molotov, like all the other Tier VI ships, seeing bottom tier in Tier VII & VIII games a lot more often.

The higher the tier, the higher the fire resistance of the ship, including if the target has upgraded hull or not.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire#Fire_Chance

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
3,081 posts
6,604 battles
10 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Molotov is an Aegis and Killer Whale ship, Massive credits have been made by me with it.

I'm beginning to think that if you want to spend a little money on the game to make your life easier, then it's hard to beat a goal of having a T6 premium cruiser in as many different navies as possible, because operations make farming credits, ribbons, and kills so easy that the increased earning potential of premium ships really pays off at T6 with dedicated operations boats. After that, I'd expand to T7 and do much the same, with the bonus that T7 I think is the most fun of the random play as well. At least, as much fun as it's possible to have in random.

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles
12 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

That'd be the Makarov ~ ie the Russian Nurnburg

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
12 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

Its crap as a premium.

Pitiful.

Molotov has never been nerfed, just power crept into irrelevance.  It's one of the oldest premiums in the game.

It used to be quite a powerful ship back when it was just the US and IJN lines, with two or three Russian premes tossed in.

[ING]
Members
89 posts
11,966 battles

The Molotov name refers to exploding into a ball of flames quite regularly and easily.