You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

PSA: How to aim low

15 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,092 posts
18,904 battles

We all know that feel, have been in that situation, you're doing a circle of death or jousting a big bad enemy ship, you zoom in, ready to deliver a mighty broadside right into his citadel, and ....

ymlWDIx.jpg

Your guns don't go low enough.

The solution is simple. Zoom out a bit.

3lu0lGF.jpg

You get a lot more depression zoomed out than fully zoomed in.

• Cool 16

Members
3,087 posts
564 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

We all know that feel, have been in that situation, you're doing a circle of death or jousting a big bad enemy ship, you zoom in, ready to deliver a mighty broadside right into his citadel, and ....

ymlWDIx.jpg

3lu0lGF.jpg

xBUm2xn.jpg

also.....turning INTO the ship you are shooting will raise the gun side of your ship ......

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,393 posts
14,152 battles

I have found that when you are that close aiming a tad high actually works better, the shells that fall short hit the belt instead of the water and the ones that go long or on target still do damage.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,092 posts
18,904 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I have found that when you are that close aiming a tad high actually works better, the shells that fall short hit the belt instead of the water and the ones that go long or on target still do damage.

You're not wrong, but you don't want to aim your entire salvo into the upper belt either. You want to aim about half way between the first picture's aim point and the waterline.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,393 posts
14,152 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

You're not wrong, but you don't want to aim your entire salvo into the upper belt either. You want to aim about half way between the first picture's aim point and the waterline.

That is true.

[EGO]
Members
83 posts
14,169 battles

When jousting (i.e. passing at very close range), I find that zooming ALL the way out works best.   Additionally, having the ship you're jousting with targeted can screw up your aim.  Make sure to untarget the ship you're attacking to allow you to pick your shot.

By following these two tips, you can get some incredibly huge hits.  I once super-cit a Montana for 90,000 during a joust...and this was after her citadel had been lowered.  It also wasn't a detonation; I want to say it was something like 7 citadel hits.

Edited by Wrayeth

[CWM]
[CWM]
Members
609 posts
6,288 battles

Fortuitous timing with this post.  I had a scenario just like this yesterday and I wasn't entirely sure what to change. Thanks. I knew about the zoomed out part but I was aiming too low I think. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,248 posts
25,088 battles
29 minutes ago, Wrayeth said:

When jousting (i.e. passing at very close range), I find that zooming ALL the way out works best.   Additionally, having the ship you're jousting with targeted can screw up your aim.  Make sure to untarget the ship you're attacking to allow you to pick your shot.

By following these two tips, you can get some incredibly huge hits.  I once super-cit a Montana for 90,000 during a joust...and this was after her citadel had been lowered.  It also wasn't a detonation; I want to say it was something like 7 citadel hits.

Hope I remember this, I often have trouble getting the guns to shoot when I want because they keep trying to track.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
231 posts
12,285 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

ymlWDIx.jpg

You also have to understand that the actual aim spot is an ellipse ON the water surface and NOT the side of the ship, so in this case you are aiming at a spot behind the ship and your shells try to arc to that spot. If you are unlucky and the distance is right, all of your shells will just hit the superstructure.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,702 posts
6 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

not sure why you cant do it while zoomed, just a bad UI....

Well, there is that too... zoom level shouldn't make guns harder to depress or control.

[PVE]
Members
6,123 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

ymlWDIx.jpg

3lu0lGF.jpg

Damn...can't count the number of times I've missed a perfectly good broadside opportunity & had to settle for an angled crap shot due to something as basic as that. Where the hell were you w/this idea about 9k games ago when I 1st started grinding all my BB lines?

You'd think after 21.5k games I'd have figured it out myself...well...at least if you haven't checked my stats you might have.

La-Te-Dah...live & (eventually) learn.

+1 of course for that.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles

Honestly the easiest way to explain it. When you are that close don't treat your BB like a sniper rifle, treat it like a shot gun. Your so close the general area will be hit.