Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
rwelsh98

30% off coupon

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

0
[BASIN]
Members
13 posts
5,148 battles

So I got a coupon for my 1 year anniversary of playing WOWS. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions, or what you would get if you had a coupon?

I am looking at Bayard, JB, Georgia, and Ovechkin. My thought process with Ovechkin was that this might be a unique opportunity to get a 15 pt capt with enhanced Survivability Expert at a discount. I am liking the French cruisers and am going to start on the French BBs too I think. My only issue with Georgia is that she seems to need a dedicated captain to work and since I don't have Massachusetts and her playstyle is different enough from the tech tree, I don't know if she is worth the money even at a discount. Also with JB or Georgia once I get my coal stocks high enough again I will probably get one or the other.

I am curious to see what yall would get though too maybe it will sway me one way or the other.

 

Thanks to all

gl&hf

1250783666_Screenshot2019-08-11at16_44_47.thumb.png.556baa918170303c20132c8ae988a849.png

Screenshot 2019-08-11 at 16.42.57.png

Edited by rwelsh98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,920
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,784 posts
4,631 battles

What exactly does the coupon say it's good for?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,310
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,441 battles

@rwelsh98 the last one I got for the premium shop had so many restrictions on it that the only things to use it on I wouldn't have bought even if they were free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[BASIN]
Members
13 posts
5,148 battles

The way it makes it sound is that, and by messing with it in the premium shop is that I can take 30% off of anything in the shop that is not already at a discount.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
803
[WOLFC]
Members
1,663 posts
9,465 battles
31 minutes ago, rwelsh98 said:

The way it makes it sound is that, and by messing with it in the premium shop is that I can take 30% off of anything in the shop that is not already at a discount.

 

This is correct. My advice would be to not use it for Georgia or Jean Bart, since they are also available in the armory for coal and with the biannual 25% off ship coupon are not that difficult to pick up for free if you play regularly. In regards to Ovechkin, unless you play US or Soviet DDs, he does not really offer any advantages over the unique Soviet or American commanders available for coal/doubloons in the Armory  (they all have expert Marksman) other than being dual nation.

My advice would be to use it on a mid-to-high tier premium of a line you enjoy playing, to aid in your progress towards your first 19pt captain (if you do not already have one) so you can begin printing ECXP ASAP. So perhaps De Grasse (for tier 6 Ops, if she is available right now) or Bayard since you mentioned you’re enjoying French cruisers. Unfortunately, I don’t have experience with either, so I can’t recommend (or not recommend) them based on their performance.

 

 

Or you can get Scharnhorst. Every captain should have a Scharnhorst. :Smile_hiding:

Edited by Nevermore135

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
817 posts
5,694 battles

There is no losing scenario. 

I used a 30% coupon for JB when it first came out. I don't regret it. Those ships take forever to grind out. So, if you can get one on short cash, go for it. Plus, you never know when these ships get retired, and then you find yourself short on coal and not able to get enough in time. Georgia is especially strong and probably a candidate for earlier retirement than others. 

Ovechkin is a VERY strong DD captain.  I have all 4. I don't regret it. I use 2 in DDs and 2 in BBs. Even though you only use one of the enhanced skills in a non-DD, enhanced EM by itself is still a very powerful thing. Plus, tracers are cool. :-)

Bayard is on my radar too. 

Flip a coin. 

Edited by General_Lee_Miserable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,920
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,784 posts
4,631 battles

I suggest that a huge amount of doubloons is your best buy.  That gives a built-in 30% discount to whatever you choose to buy with them - ships, premium time, Armory goods, etc.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,646
[SIDE]
Members
4,690 posts
19 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I suggest that a huge amount of doubloons is your best buy.  That gives a built-in 30% discount to whatever you choose to buy with them - ships, premium time, Armory goods, etc.

 

I'd use it for something precious. Time and steel come to mind.

If you have enough steel for a ship you want then use the 30% toward that. If not, save the steel.

If you want more premium time ( rewards handsomely) you could buy a year for 30% off. On the other hand It may or may not go on sale this winter for a large discount but no guarantees and discount can vary. However, you can always buy a year now and then buy another year in 3 months and have a stockpile.

A big time captain with tons of skill points might not be bad either. Those take a long time to accumulate.

After that maybe doubloons or whatever.

Edited by thebigblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,920
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,784 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

I d use it for something precious. Time and steel come to mind.

Steel would be great, but tell me how you would use the coupon for steel?

A year can be had for 50% off in a few months.  In the meantime he can fill in with discounted doubloons. 

You can buy 10 pt captains with doubloons.  15 pt. Ovechkin at $50 is reeediculous, and may not qualify as he includes a bonus of premium.

Discounted doubloons, or a special ship, is the way to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
756
[WOLF9]
Members
4,473 posts

  All good suggestions.    I hadn't seen that Ovechkin was on sale...

  What I CAN say is that I spent $$ on Bayard lately, and don't regret it.   It's quite a fun ship, and offers a fairly unique combo of abilities and playstyle at tier 8.

  The US CL's don't get torpedoes;

  The RN CL's don't get HE. (save for Belfast- which doesn't get torps)

  The Soviet CL's have very short ranged torpedoes, and flat shooting guns that can't shoot over islands.

  Bayard gets nice guns with both AP and HE;  Longish range torpedoes; and arcs which can make use of cover, like the US's can.   Also, both speed and reload boosters.   It'll do both open water or island hiding.   To me, it almost feels like the bigger MEANER brother to the French DD's, if that makes any sense.  (It also comes bundled with an extra permanent camo- the French Naval camo)

 

  I have less luck with Georgia.   Which makes a certain kind of sense- it only has 6 guns, mounted in 3 turrets.   RNG can be enragingly trolly with 2 gun turrets...  , and secondaries are, well, they are what they are in high tier matches.   It's a specialty ship, like Mass- something you play for a change of pace.   If you have a Mass already, this might be a good choice- as they can share a captain.

  And, as others have stated, Georgia can be had for free with a little patience.

  I'm still working on getting Jean Bart.  (I spent all my coal on Georgia, and am now grinding away for more!)

  Premium time is also always a good choice- it's the gift that keeps on giving!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
233
[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, Supertester
946 posts
13,340 battles

Bayard or Haidi.

Both are great boats in their own right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,737
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,546 posts

I have either never noticed a coupon, or I have never gotten one :(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
886
[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles

How does one acquire this ever elusive coupon? I have yet to see one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,086
[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,759 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I suggest that a huge amount of doubloons is your best buy.  That gives a built-in 30% discount to whatever you choose to buy with them - ships, premium time, Armory goods, etc.

 

That's what I did with my anniversary coupon as well. Never hurts to have dubblloons lying around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[5D4]
Members
58 posts
4,147 battles

I got mine right around the time Georgia dropped, so I happily took 30% off the cost of Georgia. No regrets!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,725
[INTEL]
Members
13,061 posts
36,036 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I suggest that a huge amount of doubloons is your best buy.  That gives a built-in 30% discount to whatever you choose to buy with them - ships, premium time, Armory goods, etc.

 

Ecellent call... then you have it for some premium ship or premium time, if later you see something yu really love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,656
[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,082 posts
6 hours ago, rwelsh98 said:

So I got a coupon for my 1 year anniversary of playing WOWS. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions, or what you would get if you had a coupon?

I am looking at Bayard, JB, Georgia, and Ovechkin. My thought process with Ovechkin was that this might be a unique opportunity to get a 15 pt capt with enhanced Survivability Expert at a discount. I am liking the French cruisers and am going to start on the French BBs too I think. My only issue with Georgia is that she seems to need a dedicated captain to work and since I don't have Massachusetts and her playstyle is different enough from the tech tree, I don't know if she is worth the money even at a discount. Also with JB or Georgia once I get my coal stocks high enough again I will probably get one or the other.

I am curious to see what yall would get though too maybe it will sway me one way or the other.

 

Thanks to all

gl&hf

1250783666_Screenshot2019-08-11at16_44_47.thumb.png.556baa918170303c20132c8ae988a849.png

Screenshot 2019-08-11 at 16.42.57.png

Haven't seen any of those,My friend and Clan Mate did..................................Good for buying the Enterprise  I'd already bought him. And no unlike me He Spends No Money On The Game Guess that makes him the smarter one huh?:Smile_facepalm:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,646
[SIDE]
Members
4,690 posts
4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Steel would be great, but tell me how you would use the coupon for steel?

A year can be had for 50% off in a few months.  In the meantime he can fill in with discounted doubloons. 

You can buy 10 pt captains with doubloons.  15 pt. Ovechkin at $50 is reeediculous, and may not qualify as he includes a bonus of premium.

Discounted doubloons, or a special ship, is the way to go.

 

Unless I'm missing something couldn't you out 30% towards purchase of steel ship? If not, disregard my overtiredness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[ARRSE]
Members
192 posts
1,402 battles
2 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

99.99$ 25k doubs -- no question about it  -- It's 2 or 3 ships for $70
https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/gold/1207/

image.thumb.png.96c3feab4998c8ee04e939da15a32669.png
image.thumb.png.3da3415d7cbf9a44b6c2fb6d1b3c45c0.png
image.thumb.png.4c5df8324eb50fe11c6b494b554a54f0.png

 

 

Discounted doubloons seems to be the obvious choice, but the only four ships I am interested in - Bayard, Boise, Massachusetts, Vanguard - are of course not in the armoury store. WG must have a special sales algorithm specially designed to frustrate players' buying plans!

Edited by Turbogerbil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,098 posts
6,672 battles
12 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

  All good suggestions.    I hadn't seen that Ovechkin was on sale...

  What I CAN say is that I spent $$ on Bayard lately, and don't regret it.   It's quite a fun ship, and offers a fairly unique combo of abilities and playstyle at tier 8.

  The US CL's don't get torpedoes;

  The RN CL's don't get HE. (save for Belfast- which doesn't get torps)

  The Soviet CL's have very short ranged torpedoes, and flat shooting guns that can't shoot over islands.

  Bayard gets nice guns with both AP and HE;  Longish range torpedoes; and arcs which can make use of cover, like the US's can.   Also, both speed and reload boosters.   It'll do both open water or island hiding.   To me, it almost feels like the bigger MEANER brother to the French DD's, if that makes any sense.  (It also comes bundled with an extra permanent camo- the French Naval camo)

I am really enjoying Bayard. It, like pretty much all CLs and DDs, really punishes poor play and really rewards good positioning and map awareness. I had a great early Random game with her in Northern Lights where I saw a Mogador capping the eastern point hugging the southern island to the east and angling toward the channel. Looked like he was capping and then planning on scooting out of there before our ships got within effective range to focus him, so I popped speed boost, ran to the east, and was waiting for him with MBRB ready when he came through the channel for First Blood. Very satisfying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
756
[WOLF9]
Members
4,473 posts
7 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I am really enjoying Bayard. It, like pretty much all CLs and DDs, really punishes poor play and really rewards good positioning and map awareness. I had a great early Random game with her in Northern Lights where I saw a Mogador capping the eastern point hugging the southern island to the east and angling toward the channel. Looked like he was capping and then planning on scooting out of there before our ships got within effective range to focus him, so I popped speed boost, ran to the east, and was waiting for him with MBRB ready when he came through the channel for First Blood. Very satisfying.

  YES!  Got to love it when an evil plan comes to fruition, lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,920
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,784 posts
4,631 battles
16 hours ago, thebigblue said:

Unless I'm missing something couldn't you out 30% towards purchase of steel ship? If not, disregard my overtiredness.

Dunno.  It's a good question.  Does the ship coupon apply to steel?  If so he has the choice between 25% and 30% off.  If not, between 0% and 30% off.  It is worth exploring.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,486
[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

Blew all my coal on JB. So when I got a 30% off coupon, I used it on Georgia. Figured what the hell ... it'll make the ship cost the same as a tier 8 premium instead. Zero regrets. Georgia is fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
298
[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,072 posts
3,875 battles

Huh...recently had my 1 year anniversary from when I created my account and started playing, but I haven't seen a coupon...guess those are RNG as well, like many things in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×