Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jaybirdslayergaming

Looking for Tashkent advice.

8 comments in this topic

[AFK-2]
Members
46 posts
1,920 battles

So far, I've had a reasonable amount of fun along my first ever DD line, the Soviet line. I've made it to the Tashkent, and things are starting to get rough. I have asked my peers about how to play Soviet dds, and they all say the same thing, stay at long range, shoot, kite, and dodge. This is what I have been trying to do, and yet here I am, with 16k average damage and 273 PR. My biggest question in this post would probably be: What should I do to deal with enemy gunboat destroyers with better camo than I am, if there is only 1 dd per team, and I'm my team's dd? Essentially, what do I do if neither team has radar, and I'm up against, say, a Fletcher or a Kitakaze? 

One more thing. When I was new to this game, I didn't know much about captain skills, so up until now I have taken: Priority Target, Preventative Maintenance, Expert Loader, Incoming fire alert, Adrenaline Rush, Jack of all trades, Expert Marksman , Last Stand, and I think High Alert? I'm a free to play player, so I don't have any money to spare to resent this build (and I don't think free resets will be coming anytime soon). Any suggestions for what I should round out this set of skills with?

I think if anyone answers this post, it would help with a lot of people grinding down this line. Lastly, I'm not a salty scrub whining about game mechanics. I'm just a newbie with about 1k games that needs help with playing the game. I've been a team player for all my time in this game, and all I want is some help.

-Jay

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,037 posts
17,539 battles

There may be a respec in the future if the ifhe nerf goes through or the accumulated aa changes warrant it.  That build is... odd...

Expert loader, incoming fire alert, jack of all trades, expert marksman really not a good fit for high tier RU DDs (EM might have been worthwhile on mid tiers, but I think they buffed those awhile ago)

I’d suggest Priority Target, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, and Advanced Firing Training for the first ten.  Adrenaline Rush, Basic Firing Training and Demolition Expert are good; since high tier DDs have heal, Superintnedant is something to consider as well.

I actually struggled with this line until the Tashkent and it finally clicked with me.  Dunno what it is, but Tash is awesome, it even has longer range than the Khaba.  I’d love to toy with a torp build Tash for the lolz someday :cap_wander:

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

For one, your captain skills are all wrong.  These are the captain skills that I've used and strongly recommend:

igVgSOM.jpg

The ones numbered in green are the essential "first four" recommended skills.  The remainder are your preference but Survival Expert should be among them.

Do not spend points on Expert loader, Incoming Fire Alert, Adrenaline Rush, Expert Marksman, or Jack of All Trades.  Fully researched the Tashkent already has a very high rate of fire and turret traverse.  Spending captain skill points on these is wasteful; gains are negligible.  Getting Expert Loader on anything other than the Yamato is similarly wasteful, and I'd probably think twice even for the Japanese battleship if I had it.

Otherwise, your description of long distance annoyance and kiting sounds correct and is indeed the ideal way to play most VMF DDs.  If you're still having difficulty then perhaps you should attach a replay for analysis.

One more thing:  You're still relatively inexperienced - playing Tier IX after 1300 battles is still a bit early, but not outrageously so like some others (Tier X after less than 1000 battles is bad news).  It may simply be a matter of having played enough battles to make enough mistakes to learn from, and you probably haven't reached that point yet.

EDIT:  Also, forgot to mention that for the VMF DDs that have it, you always use repair instead of smoke.  Always.  You never stop moving, and never stop firing as long as anything is in range.  Absolutely never stop and park in smoke.  For some ships this is ideal but not in VMF DDs.  You want to be seen by the opposing team, but your speed makes you very difficult to hit at range, so as long as you're moving you're relatively safe except against the most experienced Hindenburg players.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,943 posts
15,522 battles
6 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Getting Expert Loader on anything other than the Yamato is similarly wasteful, and I'd probably think twice even for the Japanese battleship if I had i

I think the best ship for Expert Loader is probably the Des Moines (moreso with Halsey as he has an even more rapid reload). In the DM you’ll be firing HE much of the time, but when those juicy broadsides present you want to punish them quickly and you have the quick reload to do it...

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I think the best ship for Expert Loader is probably the Des Moines (moreso with Halsey as he has an even more rapid reload). In the DM you’ll be firing HE much of the time, but when those juicy broadsides present you want to punish them quickly and you have the quick reload to do it...

I agree.  Good point.

[FML]
Members
3,943 posts
15,522 battles
1 hour ago, Jaybirdslayergaming said:

So far, I've had a reasonable amount of fun along my first ever DD line, the Soviet line. I've made it to the Tashkent, and things are starting to get rough. I have asked my peers about how to play Soviet dds, and they all say the same thing, stay at long range, shoot, kite, and dodge. This is what I have been trying to do, and yet here I am, with 16k average damage and 273 PR. My biggest question in this post would probably be: What should I do to deal with enemy gunboat destroyers with better camo than I am, if there is only 1 dd per team, and I'm my team's dd? Essentially, what do I do if neither team has radar, and I'm up against, say, a Fletcher or a Kitakaze? 

One more thing. When I was new to this game, I didn't know much about captain skills, so up until now I have taken: Priority Target, Preventative Maintenance, Expert Loader, Incoming fire alert, Adrenaline Rush, Jack of all trades, Expert Marksman , Last Stand, and I think High Alert? I'm a free to play player, so I don't have any money to spare to resent this build (and I don't think free resets will be coming anytime soon). Any suggestions for what I should round out this set of skills with?

I think if anyone answers this post, it would help with a lot of people grinding down this line. Lastly, I'm not a salty scrub whining about game mechanics. I'm just a newbie with about 1k games that needs help with playing the game. I've been a team player for all my time in this game, and all I want is some help.

-Jay

Hi, welcome to the forums.

As others have noted, your captain skills are far from optimal, so that is going to hold you back at least until a free captain respec or until you win 500 doubloons happens. At least you now know what are good choices when an opportunity arises.

Whilst I’m not an expert in VMF DDs (only up to the Ognevoi again and the Kiev), I have fought them a lot. Long range HE spammer is generally right. But some things you may not have thought of:

1) Pay close attention to when ships put out their fires with DCP - after a few seconds, you want to light as many fires in those ships as possible. 

2) There are a maximum of four fire positions on a ship, though the Fire Prevention skill drops that to three and most high tier battleships take it. So once the superstructure is burning, try lighting the bow or stern, as new fires don’t start on the same spot until the old one goes out. 

3) Try to have fires burning on as many ships as possible at the same time. This will take target awareness and good positioning to pull off, so this will take time to learn. Learning which direction to move to allow you to shoot targets, aiming on specific points of a target, and not getting clocked by the enemy whilst you’re not looking is hard - but all essential VMF DD skills.

4) Don’t get fixated or greedy. I prefer 2 fires burning per ship at high tiers given it’s really hard to hit that fourth spot, and you don’t want them to immediately hit DCP to put out all your fires only for your team to get the benefit if they set more (though taxing enemy ship’s DCP does benefit your team). 

5) Being the only DD on your team is hard. Usually you will need to play normally and ignore the caps because you have no choice, but I suggest you mention that in team chat at the start (you will still get flamed). But if the enemy has no or minimal radar, and your cruisers are willing to get near a cap, give it a go - just don’t expect it to be a high damage game. 

6) Ignore all of these if a VMF DD Expert says they’re rubbish!!

Good luck!!

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,210 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

Getting Expert Loader on anything other than the Yamato is similarly wasteful

1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

I agree.  Good point.

I can see the allure of 1.25 second reload on the DM but I keep Doh (oops...excuse me...I meant Doe) on the US BB line so the Mo can have the 7.5 second reload to use in conjunction w/the radar for the rare occasions when I can manage to sneak up on a smoked DD...especially since they nerfed BB AP against them...seems a waste to even radar them when you can't do any meaningful damage while they are detected.

I should probably switch Halsey from Gearing to Salem (don't have camo for DM so don't run it often enough) because I haven't managed to get a double strike to bring my detection down to under 5.1km (w/the Gearing's legendary) anyway so Halsey is kinda wasted on the Gearing anyway.

As for the OP...I started the Tash & Og the same day 8.0 dropped...painful experiences (especially for the Tash).

Haven't been able to play the last month & a half due to lousy wifi so not sure of new CV/AA/priority target changes to give any reliable good advice about whether to go off solo or stick w/the team but for sure the run (always keep full speed ahead) & gun (HE spamming) advice is always best for RU DDs.

But most definitely I would switch to another line w/those skills...

2 hours ago, Jaybirdslayergaming said:

I have taken: Priority Target, Preventative Maintenance, Expert Loader, Incoming fire alert, Adrenaline Rush, Jack of all trades, Expert Marksman , Last Stand, and I think High Alert?

Until a free Respec comes along.

Others have already given sound advice on alternate skills so I won't be redundant.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this