You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheBishop

more stories of CV fails

8 comments in this topic

Members
172 posts

in the back field, doing my thing, when out of no where, two enemy DDs.  a kidd and some other ship i can not even spell let alone pronounce.  they get close enough that their AA guns are destroying my planes faster than i can get them off the deck!!!  W.......T.....F!!!!    WG?????

FIX YOUR SHIFT!!!!!

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts

DDs are CV hunters, that's true. However, if a DD gets back to where your CV is it's a failure on your part. A DD can't get back to where you are unless a flank collapses, your team isn't paying attention, or you didn't spot for them correctly. If you don't pay attention to what's going on and spot the DDs for your team to kill and also move your ship appropriately then the fault for your CV's demise rests on you. I'm speaking from experience here.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

The mini map is the CV players life line for both what it shows and what it doesn't because if you have no idea where a cruiser or DD is it is time to move closer to friendly ships.

[TF16B]
Modder
650 posts
799 battles

My CV fail story:

I once had autopilot on and stopped before the route completed. Later into the match I saw the flank was going so I plotted a new course and launched my planes. Few minutes later I start getting hits and fast! I jump back onto my ship and saw that while I was away, my ship was following the course I had laid out but was going in reverse. :fish_palm: I was fish food by the time I corrected my ships orientation and speed.

Edited by Mailman653

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles
27 minutes ago, TheBishop said:

in the back field, doing my thing, when out of no where, two enemy DDs.  a kidd and some other ship i can not even spell let alone pronounce.  they get close enough that their AA guns are destroying my planes faster than i can get them off the deck!!!  W.......T.....F!!!!    WG?????

FIX YOUR SHIFT!!!!!

LOL  :-D

Welcome to CV play.  :-)

The "sneak along the edge of the map" tactic has been done for the past couple of years or more.  Every so often, it works.

DD's can do it.  CV's can do it with their planes (though it is less effective now, after the CV-rework).

If there's a big enough "gap" in the battle lines or a "flank" of ships has been sunk and created an open path for DD's to sail through, then expect it.

I play every type of ship available, and speak from experience.

There are some scenarios, the Defense of the Naval Station comes to mind, where it is possible for enemy ships, BB's and cruisers, to sail close enough to swat planes out of the sky mere seconds after launching from the carrier deck during the final stage of the battle (if things go badly for the green team).

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles
14 minutes ago, Mailman653 said:

My CV fail story:

I  once had autopilot on and stopped before the route completed. Later into the match I saw the flank was going so I plotted a new course and launched my planes. Few minutes later I start getting hits and fast! I jump back on my ship and saw  that while I was away my ship was following the course I laid out but the ship was moving in reverse. :fish_palm: I was fish food by the time I corrected my ships orientation and speed.

I was playing my Hermes CV quite a bit during the past week.
On more than one occasion the autopilot sailed into islands.  I said, "I'm gonna fire my helmsman" several times in chat during several different games.

:-D

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
32 minutes ago, Mailman653 said:

My CV fail story:

I  once had autopilot on and stopped before the route completed. Later into the match I saw the flank was going so I plotted a new course and launched my planes. Few minutes later I start getting hits and fast! I jump back on my ship and saw  that while I was away my ship was following the course I laid out but the ship was moving in reverse. :fish_palm: I was fish food by the time I corrected my ships orientation and speed.

Been there done that a few times.

I noticed on the PT that when you set a course with the autopilot that it shows the turn the ship will do now so if you go to far it will show that you will go backwards.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,918 posts
26,913 battles

I guess, that Lex, that wasted 67 planes on my Mass, was a kind of fail too. Ok, he hit me with one torp and a few rockets. Wish we could earn the old flags.