Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
QWERTYEel89

New Orleans/USN cruiser Help

11 comments in this topic

Members
105 posts
3,361 battles

Yeah, so since I wasn't around for a while I received both the NO and Cleveland in my port. Like a fool I sold the Cleveland for some silver but stuck with the NO. Been trying to take the recommended tactics to heart in this but I can't seem to make it work. I have some issues with dodging I notice and I don't think it's the ship however I find the range to kinda gimp me often. With the RU premium Lazo I'm able to sit at a comfortable range and rack up some damage, with this I always seem to be too sloe or stuck rotating turrets. And bbs even manage to dodge that half of the time whereas with me I seem to get smacked pretty easily. I guess I'm asking two thing in this thread. First how does one effectively play the NO? Yes I've heard of using islands for cover but they seem to obstruct my view more than anything and when I pull back I'm out of range, if I try to peek out I get screwed because the ship takes to long to go in reverse. Second, how does one effectively dodge? Seems that shifting at a 45 degree turn, and briefly going to 3/4 does nothing but slow me down. Thanks.

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,385 battles

Effective Dodging 101 for any ship. Work the ever loving hell out of the wasd keys with machine gun fingers. My A and D keys have the black worn off and the backlighting showing through. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,727 posts
21,446 battles

I'm not a fan of how N.O. can out-turn her turrets. I am running Steering Gears Mod 2 but even without that I think her turrets are too slow. Using that mod i find her fairly agile and "playable". Faster turrets and reload would make her much better.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,572 posts
15,619 battles

On the positive the N.O. seems to be a little more tanky than what she used to be when she was T8. Personally she feels similar to the rest of the CA's in the USN line coming after her. Good 8" AP coupled with alligator arm range (Buffalo having a teeny bit more). With no smoke of her own she is a island/concealment dependent cruiser. Get friendly and familiar enough with the islands (minus ocean map) that your sending them cards, flowers, and chocolates.

• Cool 1

Members
105 posts
3,361 battles

Had a pretty good game. Got three kills and did some good damage. Didn't expect to win that considering I got citadeled for half my HP in the first 60 seconds. I switched from propulsion to Steering since a lot of times I find myself getting smacked at the worst angled because I turned too slow.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,019 posts
11,550 battles

NO is a weird transition between Pensacola and it's paper, and the BB wannabe's that are the tier 8-10 USN heavy cruisers. I say that because 8-10 have 27 mm bows - more than Colorado. NO I found is a weird mix of "hide for your life" and tank. She's not a great dodger, but the key is to try and only need minimum movements to dodge. I highly recommend Propulsion mod 2 for better accelerating. Other than the fact that, unlike the next 3 ships she can't tank certain BB rounds the same way, really more meant to go hunt other cruisers. That said you find yourself being targeted by heavier guns you want to avoid the hits to the 16 mm bow - if you look at her armour just before turret A/1 there is a 32 mm plate - you want to try and bounce shells off it and the slightly thicker 19 mm side armour. You may wanna camp a bit early, maybe make use of smokescreens carefully - later game is where your more liable to start just kinda wrecking things. NO is a bit of a rough patch to get to Balti and the rest but it's WAY better than Pensacola was at the tier. Could certainly use a couple tweaks though.

Members
105 posts
3,361 battles
1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

NO is a weird transition between Pensacola and it's paper, and the BB wannabe's that are the tier 8-10 USN heavy cruisers. I say that because 8-10 have 27 mm bows - more than Colorado. NO I found is a weird mix of "hide for your life" and tank. She's not a great dodger, but the key is to try and only need minimum movements to dodge. I highly recommend Propulsion mod 2 for better accelerating. Other than the fact that, unlike the next 3 ships she can't tank certain BB rounds the same way, really more meant to go hunt other cruisers. That said you find yourself being targeted by heavier guns you want to avoid the hits to the 16 mm bow - if you look at her armour just before turret A/1 there is a 32 mm plate - you want to try and bounce shells off it and the slightly thicker 19 mm side armour. You may wanna camp a bit early, maybe make use of smokescreens carefully - later game is where your more liable to start just kinda wrecking things. NO is a bit of a rough patch to get to Balti and the rest but it's WAY better than Pensacola was at the tier. Could certainly use a couple tweaks though.

I think I remember playing the pensacola at tier 7 (?) and hating it but I was an ultra nub back then. I notice things seem to get better as the game progresses but only if I conserve HP for when ships start breaking away and other cruisers start prodding. I teamed up with two Japanese cruiser in the last match, didn't do much damage but it makes the enemy choose "better targets" when you aren't the only target.

[RLGN]
Members
14,245 posts
25,085 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

I'm not a fan of how N.O. can out-turn her turrets. I am running Steering Gears Mod 2 but even without that I think her turrets are too slow. Using that mod i find her fairly agile and "playable". Faster turrets and reload would make her much better.

(lol, that clan (face) name.)

Had unkind thoughts about both NO and Baltimore before the line split.

NO was only slightly less disliked afterwards. Baltimore remained the same joke at T8 it was at T9.

Despite what so many say about, I still like Pensacola more.

Super heavy AP though for all three has made for some nice hits though.

• Cool 1

Members
105 posts
3,361 battles

Thanks for the replies, guys. I finished up with the New Orleans and now I got the Baltimore. Dismissed my CO by accident so I'm waiting on a WG ticket I made. In the meantime what setups do you recommend? I checked the wiki but I'm a bit leary of it.

[BOTO]
Members
1,259 posts
15,339 battles
On 8/11/2019 at 5:23 PM, QWERTYEel89 said:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I finished up with the New Orleans and now I got the Baltimore. Dismissed my CO by accident so I'm waiting on a WG ticket I made. In the meantime what setups do you recommend? I checked the wiki but I'm a bit leary of it.

First ten captain points on a Baltimore captain I'd go PT, AR, DE and CE.  Then EL, EM, SI, PM and JoAT.  Plain non-AA build.  I haven't tried a full AA build on her since the most recent patch.

Members
4,333 posts
11,177 battles
On 9/3/2019 at 1:32 PM, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

First ten captain points on a Baltimore captain I'd go PT, AR, DE and CE.  Then EL, EM, SI, PM and JoAT.  Plain non-AA build.  I haven't tried a full AA build on her since the most recent patch.

That’s pretty much exactly what I’m running on Balti and Buffalo (DM will be slightly different since I’m building more towards competitive usage - swapping out DE and EL for RL), although personally I don’t really think spending the points on DE is necessarily the way to go. You already have an okay fire chance, and you’ll ideally be using AP a lot so investing in more fire chance isn’t worth it for the occasional time you’ll be spamming a lot of HE and needing as many fires as possible. The only change I’d make is to get EM before getting EL on either ship provided you have enough situational awareness to be able to switch shells preemptively, since Baltimore can out turn her turrets a little, and Buffalo will definitely out turn her turrets if you run the reload mod in slot 6 (which to be honest, you should definitely be doing on Buffalo since it gets her reload down to just over 10 seconds before AR kicks in).

With the available AA modules and commander skills right now, I don’t run AA builds on any ship in my port that I play. The AA mods aren’t worth it since they buff flak puffs and damage (pretty useless before 8.7 since the good CV players would avoid most of it anyway, and the bad players run into the fewer puffs anyway, even less so now that only long range AA has flak). For commander skills, the only AA skill that’s still potentially worth getting is BFT, but most ships I find either don’t get a lot out of it or don’t have the points for it.  The new massive AA skill is really only worthwhile on certain ships, most of which can’t fit it into their build anyway with it being a 4 point skill.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Sign in to follow this