You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheHamOfAllHams

Random question, but can you Hit a Torp by running into it from behind?

7 comments in this topic

[CGU]
Members
37 posts
734 battles

I ask this question because Bayard is the fastest ship in the game at 53 knots, and the slowest torps in the game are 44 knots, so Bayard could catch up to those torps.

[Y0L0W]
Members
508 posts
16,741 battles

If you're a French DD playing against a Black, probably so. :Smile_veryhappy:

[0456]
Members
3,621 posts
9,586 battles

Yeah if you touch a torpedo you're going to be damaged by it.

Except for that dude in port who is fondling a torpedo for days... he can touch a torpedo but anyone else can not.  

• Funny 2

Members
596 posts
10,570 battles
20 minutes ago, TheHamOfAllHams said:

I ask this question because Bayard is the fastest ship in the game at 53 knots, and the slowest torps in the game are 44 knots, so Bayard could catch up to those torps.

Yeah the hitbox for torps is all around it, not just in the front so if you touch a torp from any direction you get hit by it

[TF-64]
Members
540 posts
19,083 battles

Yeah. Some of the air drop torps are even slower and I managed to do that once. Threading the drop and the back end of my DD hit the back of one torp. Learned that the hard way. 

[HINON]
Members
13,272 posts

Yes, some videos exist of players launching torps and then swinging their ship into their own torps they just launched.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles

@TheHamOfAllHams running down, passing and then getting hit by a torp is possible but not likely. You would have to start very near the launch point accelerate quickly to a speed exceeding the torp's speed and then steer precisely into its path. Your excess speed might carry you past an impact point and slowing to quickly keep you short of the impact point.

As for backing into a torpedo that certainly is possible for any ship that is in the line of the torps travel. I have done so several times with both enemy or allied torps when backing up from a terrain, sinking ship or ship v ship collision.