Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Trying to win Ranked battles?

10 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
785 posts
2,779 battles

What is the secret? I have a 10% WR in ranked... Tonight I felt lucky, nope, 1 close game, the rest were 1 sided annihilations from my team of spuds (I was a proud member of) against these godlike enemy teams that seems to anticipate all your moves and have some 6th sense ability to dodge multiple torp salvos at close range. Just felt like the MM was throwing together the most poorly coordinated and dysfunctional teams against unicum professionals.. Yesterday was the same, loss after loss.. Untitled.jpg.885bd31f9d0d1780ddfff8a8417e0863.jpg

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,003 battles

Ouch.

With six person teams, DD play is critical. I played two games last night with no cruisers. Just DDs and BBs. Number one rule as a DD is stay alive. Your job is to spot and supplement damage when you can, SAFELY. Find their DDs, stay between their DDs and your ships. if you're doing all those things and still losing, then yeah, bad run of teams. But start with your own performance. you represent 18% of the team in ranked, and everyone has to contribute. 

I have the Fletcher and the Kiti also. The Fletcher hasn't seen action. The Kiti doesn't have the best detection, but if a DD engages you, you can just murder them. It's fast enough with boost and a flag. So, I'd recommend it over fletch.

But remember, you aren't there to do damage. If you have a shot on a BB or cruiser that's looking the wrong way, take the shot, but have a plan to escape. A nearby island to break line of sight, smoke off cool down, etc. Torp when you can, but your value to the team is in end game capping and vision for the team, and you can't do that if you get taken out early trying to do damage.

best of luck.

Oh and by the way? I started with four consecutive losses. So, it isn't always you.

Edited by Thornir
  • Cool 3

Members
2,439 posts
5,379 battles

I'm trying to have fun with rank. I participate every season, but i feel unless you play 100s of games. You will never rank out. RNG teams are such a deciding factor in who wins. 

• Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,138 posts
5,034 battles
38 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

What is the secret? 

The secret is to NOT do what you did. Under few/no circumstances should you play for more than 3 losses, especially consecutive (unless of course you are backed against a irrevocable rank). Its just as much a mental game as it is your player skill. You lose game after game and it just gets in your head. You go into battles expecting to lose.

On the flipside, if you are blessed with a winning streak... keep that streak alive until you are in imminent life threatening danger. I had a glorious win streak last night... 13-2 in Georgia. Sure I didn't want to get off that late, but making rank 6 in 18 battles makes it 100% worth it. I'm going to get on today, and if I lose my first 2 I'm done until tomorrow. 

You can drop 3 ranks in the blink of an eye, even at ranks 2-5. Similarly, you can easily gain 3 ranks in one night. You just have to follow your gut and don't put up with losing streaks. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,279 posts
18,695 battles

It is tough when the "Schwartz" isn't with you and you are on the 0-13 team.....  That you are in the top three and it was never a match to begin with.   To me, that is just a lack of corporate quality control and lessens the value of the game itself....  Ranked and Clan Battles should be the high quality, competitive modes......and, have higher quality MM'ing and game play....  And yet, all I've seen these past several seasons is "luck determining the event's outcome..." at the very beginning.

Our host could do better if they wanted...........

[POP]
Members
104 posts
13,071 battles

Rank is the most frustrating  game mode.

It should be more fun. I think the top three scorers on the losing team should not lose a star instead of  just the top one. that would help  keep it fun.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this