You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

The Atago is Worthless in a Tier X Match!

19 comments in this topic

[DAS]
Members
971 posts
8,145 battles

Only 3 tier Xs, but yeah most ships can do will when low tier if played right AND luck is on your side.

Members
596 posts
10,570 battles

it's not, Atago is a very powerful kitting cruiser that can literally win a 1 vs 1 against any T10 BB as long as you kite, dodge and torp backwards, the heal is a a really nice addition to help her even more.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles

Bottom tier ships get more exp from shooting higher tiers, than vice versa. Provided a good player is at the bottom tier ship's wheel, finishing at the top of the scoreboard can be achieved with a degree of regularity. It helps too that most players, including ones in the top tier ships, are poor players.

• Cool 1

Members
194 posts
1,137 battles

Really? The more and more up tiered i am in the Atago the better I do, not just in XP but in actual damage and cap control.

Plus, people get careless and i hear my Commander VO (Thank God for AL Collab) go "Ara Ara!" When I slam a full broadside into a stupid Minotaur player who thinks he is safe in his smoke punting shots while invisible at a BB.

• Funny 1

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

Atago's good stealth and powerful HE make her like a zao that's kinda lame. Using her strengths she can hold her own.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,139 posts
18,987 battles
19 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Bottom tier ships get more exp from shooting higher tiers, than vice versa.

Correct. IIRC there's a 10% XP bonus / demerit per tier for shooting at ships outside your own tier.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,640 posts
23 minutes ago, Lert said:

Correct. IIRC there's a 10% XP bonus / demerit per tier for shooting at ships outside your own tier.

I didn't know that. I have a 1900 base XP personal mission that I'm having a hard time completing. I'll have to make sure to be more careful with what I shoot at.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,115 posts
4,088 battles
43 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Bottom tier ships get more exp from shooting higher tiers, than vice versa. Provided a good player is at the bottom tier ship's wheel, finishing at the top of the scoreboard can be achieved with a degree of regularity. It helps too that most players, including ones in the top tier ships, are poor players.

Good player will almost always beat a bad player regardless of ships. That's universally true.

And the Atago player has three kills, I'm guessing he was doing more than farming. He also did it in a CV match, which makes it more interesting.

But yeah, the uptiered XP bonus is very nice. Many times as a T8 in T10 I've done OK, not great, but just a solid game, and find myself on top of the scoreboard.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,660 battles

The Atago is really good; doesn't matter what tier it is. It's an Aa MoNsTeR too.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,428 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, epojokke said:

Only 3 tier Xs, but yeah most ships can do will when low tier if played right AND luck is on your side.

The tier balance definitely helped and that is the real problem in being up tiered particularly for tier 8.

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles
2 hours ago, pikohan said:

The Atago is really good; doesn't matter what tier it is. It's an Aa MoNsTeR too.

AA monster? Atago and Mogami have trash AA; like tier 6 Fuso bad. Every other nations tier 8 cruisers has two to three times the AA DPS compared to Atago. Enemy CV had to be loitering or continually dropping fighter fodder for him to manage 14 planes.

Edited by ksix

Members
3,584 posts
12,964 battles
19 minutes ago, ksix said:

AA monster? Atago and Mogami have trash AA; like tier 6 Fuso bad. Every other nations tier 8 cruisers has two to three times the AA DPS compared to Atago. Enemy CV had to be loitering or continually dropping fighter fodder for him to manage 14 planes.

Dont know the exact mechanics, but something in the rework seriously buffed Atago AA.

One game I had 2 CVs constantly attacking me,  was ducking, dodging, weaving, like I usually do. Somehow managed to get my highest planes shot down out of all my cruisers.

It's WAAAAAY better than pre cv rework.

atago.jpg

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,660 battles

Yeah, I'm only half being sarcastic... nothing really has good AA these days, but the Atago/Takao is definitely better than her peers. Out of all my ships she has the third highest average plane kills for anything with a significant number of battles:

edCkmHX.jpg

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

Atago is better than the Ibuki which is a t9 so....yeah it should be topping the charts, if you know how to lead and aim you can drop up 11k he salvos on the enemy. Combine that with its stealth and functional cruiser torps and you got a nasty package. If you are not pushing a 75k damage average in the atago, its not the ship.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,110 posts
14,317 battles

Good work indeed, but you might want to hide a few of the names. I can't imagine the Benham player wants their performance broadcast to the world, for example.

The Cleveland player didn't do badly either. If I'm going to face Tier 10 in a Tier 8 ship, this is the sort of matchmaking I would not mind seeing.

[WOLFG]
Members
544 posts
12,633 battles

I don't have an Atago, but I do have the ARP Takao, her sister ship.  It does great in tier 10 battles.  I love them.  I usually get top 3 or 4 with it, and have gotten top slot quite a few times with it.  And I'm not that great of a player.

[INTEL]
Members
3,057 posts
16,792 battles

The Atago’s guns are magic, especially at range. Combine that with larger T9 and T10 ships, it’s hard to miss. Careful selection of shells pays off as well. HE has a good fire chance and the AP really punishes anything that gets too close.