You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Incomitatus

100 Battle Project

14 comments in this topic

[-CFI-]
Members
326 posts
3,059 battles

I might be insane, but...

I'm trying to play each of my ships in 100 Random Battles. I'm starting at Tier II and working my way up. I have 68 ships at the moment, topping out at Tier IX with Benham.

This is going to take... awhile.

I'm thinking to use this thread to track my progress and offer short thoughts on the ships as I go.

Thoughts so Far...

1. USS Sampson - 100 battles, 64% wins, best game got me 52k damage and a Kraken. My favorite Tier II ship, I clicked with her from the first match I played. Not the best at anything (except maybe smoke), but solid all around. Reliable. Can bully other DDs with guns, lay good ambushes with islands, and can "just" stealth torp oncoming ships with care.

2. USS Smith - 104 battles, 48% wins, best game 43.8k damage and 4 kills. This is a high skill floor ship that takes a lot of work. At around 60 battles my win rate was 37%. My last 20-30 games were much better as I got better at keeping the guns and torpedoes constantly cycling, but I wasn't able to claw my win rate up to 50%. I'll come back around sometime to do that. This is a fun ship, but very frustrating for new players despite the ultra-cheap price in the shop. Be warned. Really, really benefits from a captain with Concealment Expert and absolutely needs Suvivability Expert despite being just a Tier II.

3. USS Chester - 100 battles, 60% wins, best game 53k damage and 4 ships sunk. I feel like Chester gets a bad rap. Angled properly, it can bounce quite a few shells in its MM spread and with AR and DE, it can reliably pump out the fires. It's AP is nothing to sneeze at either, in close. I respect a lot of other ships when I'm in Chester, but there isn't much I fear. Other than a competent DD captain, that is... low tier DDs dominate low tier cruisers (with only a few exceptions).

4. USS Albany - 100 battles, 55% wins, best games 37k damage and 3 ships sunk. Oh Albany... I want to like you. But you've given me too many glorious defeats. You're just too slow to get into the fast paced fights of Tier II. The team melts and then you have to deal with being outnumbered and alone... and sure, you give as well or better than you take, but it's almost never enough. You have no armor. Sure, that protected citadel means AP isn't that dangerous to you, but HE just chews you up. And everyone shoots HE in the low tiers. Even the BBs. I want to like you, but Chester has my US Tier II Cruiser love.
Edited by Incomitatus
  • Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles

Insanity would be if I tried this, I have 234 ships in my port. Good luck. :Smile_honoring:

• Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles
35 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Luckily (or unluckily, depending on the ship) I'm only trying to get all my ships to 50%

I am just trying to get my overall to 50%, I have been so close for so long and am currently sitting at 49.54%. I could just grind three and four for a bit but I feel that is cheating.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,670 posts
44 minutes ago, Incomitatus said:

I might be insane, but...

I'm trying to play each of my ships in 100 Random Battles.

Admirable goal and you should be a lot better with each ship after doing it. Also, you may find "forgotten" ships that you really like. I was so interesting in grinding lines that for many of the ships I really don't recall if I liked them or not. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,529 posts
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I am just trying to get my overall to 50%, I have been so close for so long and am currently sitting at 49.54%. I could just grind three and four for a bit but I feel that is cheating.

If your ships are anything like mine, I have a few bad ones that are really in the basement with a ton of matches. They are from my early days when I would refuse to give up the ship, as in, "Damnit Jim... he's dead" and move on to another ship. 

I may go back one of these days and work on getting their stats up but wow... would take some time. 

Hey! Reminds me... when they do this reset thing for the second/third grinds, the stats get reset as well, right? I hope so, I really hope so... cause it'll play wonky with the stat-checker data. 

[A-I-M]
Members
3,059 posts
13,308 battles
20 minutes ago, TheTrickpony said:

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I’m not. As interesting as the project may initially be, Im not going to stick around for 6800 battles’ worth of reporting on the subject.

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

If your ships are anything like mine, I have a few bad ones that are really in the basement with a ton of matches. They are from my early days when I would refuse to give up the ship, as in, "Damnit Jim... he's dead" and move on to another ship. 

I may go back one of these days and work on getting their stats up but wow... would take some time. 

Hey! Reminds me... when they do this reset thing for the second/third grinds, the stats get reset as well, right? I hope so, I really hope so... cause it'll play wonky with the stat-checker data. 

That and I had a long run where I couldn't win. With the credit grind for the current French destroyers event I have been playing more in the upper tiers because of the better credit return and that is not helping.

As far as I know the only thing that gets reset are the ships, the record is still there. Being able to grind them back with high skill point captains and knowing the game better than you did back then will bring the stats up a hundredth of a percent at a time. :Smile_hiding:

[-CFI-]
Members
326 posts
3,059 battles
36 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I’m not. As interesting as the project may initially be, Im not going to stick around for 6800 battles’ worth of reporting on the subject.

Oh don't worry, it'll be more than that! I'm going to be filling out the tech trees as I go, I hope. I'm sure you're excited to learn this, but try to contain yourself.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-CFI-]
Members
326 posts
3,059 battles

Got Chester to 100 battles. Last battle was... both disappointing and not. A Sampson got into our base and I went back to deal with it (successfully) but that put me exposed to a Bellerophon and a Konig Albert. I didn't last long, though I got a fire going on the K. Albert before I went down. So... I saved the team from an early embarrassing defeat, but I was out of the fight before I could do much else.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,059 posts
13,308 battles
1 hour ago, Incomitatus said:

Oh don't worry, it'll be more than that! I'm going to be filling out the tech trees as I go, I hope. I'm sure you're excited to learn this, but try to contain yourself.

So, it will be more than 6800 battles?

To quote the Monty Python “Naughty Phrasebook” sketch: “My nipples explode with delight!!”

But, an upvote to you for being a good sport.

• Funny 1

[-CFI-]
Members
326 posts
3,059 battles

Updated with Albany. Next up, Tachibana and Tachibana Lima. It's going to be awhile.