You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Labedoyere

Black Torp question

16 comments in this topic

Members
178 posts
7,700 battles

Hello..

I see or saw before i got the black that the distance of her torps was 13.7 and once i bought her and set it up mu torps have a distance of 11.0.....How did i change the distance without knowing i did ?

[GWG]
Members
6,962 posts
13,503 battles
10 minutes ago, Labedoyere said:

Hello..

I see or saw before i got the black that the distance of her torps was 13.7 and once i bought her and set it up mu torps have a distance of 11.0.....How did i change the distance without knowing i did ?

Check for torp acceleration setting of captain

BlackTorp.jpg

BlackTorp1.jpg

Edited by AVR_Project

[GWG]
Members
6,962 posts
13,503 battles
1 minute ago, Labedoyere said:

I have that option ckecked and it is still 11.0

Put your captain in reserve and check again.

Members
178 posts
7,700 battles

That did not qork eithr...I did what you said and then even wiped all the capt skills back to nothing ad filled them al out again and still at 11....

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,377 posts
20,047 battles
15 minutes ago, Labedoyere said:

I have that option ckecked and it is still 11.0

If you have Torp accelerations as captain skill then you lose some range

[TFP]
[TFP]
Members
931 posts
30,949 battles

black need buff torps speed , 43 is wrost in a BIG FAILED vs battleship,cruiser, (destroyers impossible), the CV are fast .

Edited by rafael_azuaje

[RG]
Members
2,894 posts
7,003 battles

Put torp acceleration on them, and get close. 48kts is about the same as Sims, and the reload is fantastic, and the torps hit like locomotives.

I played my first battle tonight in a Black. Was a loss, but with Kraken and some heinous harassment of the Reds, including several torp hits...oh, and it's the #2 T9 DD for WR, 7th overall. And hey, I only got 4 games in it so far, but I'm thinking  It might just be you...

bLACK kRAKEN.png

black NA Server.png

Black after 4 games.png

Edited by Thornir

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,216 battles

Just got the Black and have been amazed/appalled by where the target lead indicator points when I target a ship. From a flanking position it is so far ahead of the target that it would often mean I am aiming into areas where I am more likely to hit friendlies than reds. The only safe shot is on a ship coming right at me.

Edit: Just had a battle where a I was sitting broadside in smoke being charged by a Goriza. Decided to do a drive by (no torps on Goriza so I would be safe) so left the smoke in a hard right turn. At 2K, nearly broadside, I could not get the torp indicator to fall inside my firing angles. Continued turning with him just outside limits. Longer I went, the more green ships would be in the path. Finally fired and got 1 torp to clip his stern. (and no friendlies hit!). Not using a dedicated captain so torp acceleration might not be a good option.

Edited by Sabot_100

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,216 battles

Another "torps are too damn slow" story.

Once again sitting broadside in smoke. Enemy ships 6-7K out coming at me. Multiple targets so even bow on I should have decent chance for a hit. Just as I fire a rack, a friendly Hipper comes into view just off my stern heading towards the enemy at flank speed. He was probably 3/4 past me when I fired. No problem, I hold my second rack and the first ones should pass narrowly in front of him. SHOULD. Instead they are on a slowly closing course, travelling in formation with him until one finally hits him. This wasn't some warp speed French DD (or even French cruiser with speed boost), it was a Hipper, and my torps couldn't outrun him!

Edited by Sabot_100

[N-W-T]
Members
64 posts
16,323 battles
On 8/17/2019 at 10:49 AM, rafael_azuaje said:

black need buff torps speed , 43 is wrost in a BIG FAILED vs battleship,cruiser, (destroyers impossible), the CV are fast .

I absolutely love the Black's torps. Fast torp reload, long distance (13.7km), and my favorite part - the slowwww speed (no, that isn't sarcasm). I joke that the torps are like floating sea mines that drift with the current but that's not a bad thing as long as you play to its primary strength... (its torps, not its radar).

Use the torps to target an area rather than trying to actively target a particular ship. Instead, the torps should be used to target a cluster of enemy ships and to defend caps by saturating it with torps. It's great for both of these because the torp reload is quite fast (you literally can fire a second wave of torps while the first wave of torps are still traveling so you can saturate an area with torps), the torp detection is low, and the range of the torps allow you to remain far enough away so that you can launch loads of torps without being detected (by either enemy radar or enemy DDs). As for the torp speed and why I love it, I've noticed the slow speed seems to throw off a lot of players who attempt to dodge the torps as if they're expecting traditional ~60+knot torps and end up getting hit because they aren't expecting torps that are so unconventionally slow (I see this all the time with torps hits I get in the Black; the enemy capt so often looks confused while attempting to dodge the slow torps).

Even though the Black also has the unique trait of radar, you shouldn't just charge into a cap with the intent of popping a smoke and using the radar to hunt enemy DDs and/or cap. The Black's guns aren't good enough and the radar doesn't have the range nor duration to rely on this style of play. Doing that can be great but is highly circumstantial (enemy DD needs to be fairly low in HP and you better be sure there isn't an enemy radar cruiser nearby). The torps are only really bad in this circumstance because once you're either detected or your presence is known (for example, from popping a smoke in the cap), the enemy is expecting your torps, knows roughly where they're coming from, and this is when the slow torp speed is really a problem.

Cliff notes:

1. Spam torps from medium/long range at clusters of enemy ships (individual, sluggish BBs works too) and/or to deny caps. That's where the torp hits come from.

2. Yes, the Black is the DD with radar but don't expect much success from the tactic of hastily pushing a cap with the intent of popping smoke+radar because your guns are too weak and torps too slow to be effective in a close-range/brawl scenario. The circumstances need to be juuust right for that to be effective.

Edited by HolyWaterCow
  • Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,216 battles
19 hours ago, HolyWaterCow said:

I absolutely love the Black's torps. Fast torp reload, long distance (13.7km), and my favorite part - the slowwww speed (no, that isn't sarcasm). I joke that the torps are like floating sea mines that drift with the current but that's not a bad thing as long as you play to its primary strength... (its torps, not its radar).

The slow speed does make taking TA and the new torp module very desirable. Frustrating when some ships can actually outrun your torps.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,243 posts
12,671 battles

For a moment I forgot there's a ship named Black and thought WG is selling black version of torps like "Mk16 mod. 1 B" or something.

[SYN]
Members
1,233 posts
10,327 battles
On 1/9/2020 at 11:33 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Another "torps are too damn slow" story.

Once again sitting broadside in smoke. Enemy ships 6-7K out coming at me. Multiple targets so even bow on I should have decent chance for a hit. Just as I fire a rack, a friendly Hipper comes into view just off my stern heading towards the enemy at flank speed. He was probably 3/4 past me when I fired. No problem, I hold my second rack and the first ones should pass narrowly in front of him. SHOULD. Instead they are on a slowly closing course, travelling in formation with him until one finally hits him. This wasn't some warp speed French DD (or even French cruiser with speed boost), it was a Hipper, and my torps couldn't outrun him!

I had a similar experience, except, the allied DD pushed all the way past my torpedoes. 

They are hard to get accustomed to. OTOH, my Shima almost ate some enemy Black torps because I thought they had cleared and started to swing to the left to get some island cover.