Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tigerspook

New York (8/2019)

7 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
4,394 battles

I bought the New York last night, late, and played one game.  4 point captain.

The first match was a very entertaining. It was a Tier V match.  I finished with a 66k win with a dev strike, first blood, 3 citadels, and 4 sinks. I was 2nd place on team. I am usually in the middle so it was a nice change.

My NY is totally stock (I am not spending free exp on tier 3, 4, or 5 BBs). The guns are good; they shoot roughly where they should. The speed is poor, so don't get into a bad spot.

The B-hull swaps secondaries for AA, so I think a secondary build is a non-starter.  

A question for you.  For the third upgrade I have 4 choices:

1. Main Battery Upgrade 2 (quicker traverse, slightly slower load)
2. Secondary Battery Mod 1 (what you think)
3. AA guns mod 1 (what you think)
4. artillery plotting room 1 (+16% gun range)

I don't think the secondary mod is helpful given the B hull removes a lot of secondaries.  the other three, however, are interesting. I'm going to play more matches before I decide. But MBU2 plus the AR Captain skill would be a nice thing. I am seeing plenty of carriers at this tier, and so using AA Guns Mod 1 to encourage them to find other targets might be worthwhile.  Finally, what's not to like about shooting further? Especially when uptiered.

Right now I am leaning toward MBU2 and AA.  Opinions please!

Edited by Tigerspook

[GWG]
Members
6,940 posts
13,486 battles

Depends on the team make-up.

If there are 5 DDs on each side, along with fast cruisers...   Expect a quick blow-out match with yourself dodging a lot of torps at the end.

As an 'A-Hull' if you get into a T6 CV match, hang close to an AA cruiser for survival sakes.  You are easy prey that an astute CV op will go after first.

You are slow.  Read the map and make your best guess where you can be of use.  Often times with US standard 20 knot BBs, the battle is over by the time you get to it.

There is no sniping behind islands.  You are either in the heat of battle, or you are bored.  The only strategy is getting those guns where they are needed.

Since I am all the way up to the Montana, I only keep the New York around for kicks in Co-Op..  
Definitely #4 Artillery Room Plotting 1 for the third slot.

For the Texas, I selected Main Armaments #1 for the first slot -- to maintain the AA capability.  For the New York, just Magazine Mod 1

Slot 2 is damage control.
Good Hunting !!!!!

Texas_Sinking_Underwater.jpg

[RLGN]
Members
14,244 posts
25,057 battles

With just six secondaries there’s no need to build the ship for that. Captain skills though, you need to give at least passing consideration to such.

New Mexico has much better secondaries, and the 10x2 on everything else are passable.

Things like Mammie and Georgia, AFTER you grind up to tier equivalency, work better with a dedicated captain.

AA wise, in the current carrier system, New York isn’t Texas, but still has surprisingly decent AA. Weak on puffs, but stronger on chip damage.

Members
163 posts
4,394 battles
31 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Definitely #4 Artillery Room Plotting 1 for the third slot.

yeah, but there's also a module that increases the range to 18km.  Does this ship need a 21km range? Will it hit anything at all at that range?

[GWG]
Members
6,940 posts
13,486 battles
3 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

yeah, but there's also a module that increases the range to 18km.  Does this ship need a 21km range? Will it hit anything at all at that range?

If you don't want to have missions like this....   Just remember, you are sending TEN shells down-range..  One is bound to hit.

Jan17A_one hit.jpg

Members
163 posts
4,394 battles

Status.  NY 'spaded' in 8 matches, while spending no free XP on it.  Quite tolerable.  Now I continue to my goal, the New Mex.  I offer the following observations:

1. The NY is too slow for big maps. There have been multiple matches where I started farther away than my teammates, and by the time I got into the battle, it was already won or lost. That's with me sailing full speed. It just takes a couple of crackshots popping the 'wrong' targets and NY remains in a desert.

2. Turret traverse is glacial. This last match I helplessly watched a red Emile B shoot at me... it had 39 HPs remaining. The turrets took so long to traverse it was long gone. I had two chances and never got a shot.

My last game might be abnormal, but I caused all of 3800 points of damage... and won the Dreadnaught award. I was being hit by things my guns were not pointing at, most of which I never saw, and focused by a CV. Finally, I just capped B since I could target anything, lol.

Still a pretty fun ship. I have a 96k game in it. Just depends on how the ships are distributed when the game starts.

immoveable object.png

Edited by Tigerspook

Members
163 posts
4,394 battles

I finished the NY last night. Didn't take long.  My overall impression is that it is a reliable boat. I don't think it excels at anything but does everything well enough.

2 dings - the speed and the turret traverse. The traverse was a problem in more than one match. Be prepared to get the appropriate 2-point captain skill and/or also the modification that improves traversal. Otherwise you'll find yourself unable to take shots when you need to, or forced to maneuver away from battle to avoid giving broadside. It does not return to the battle very well. Of course with more careful play one can plan for the traverse speed, but this means being (effectively) even slower.

Pytor Velikiy and Okt Rev will absolutely crush the NY without much issue. Avoid them or bring friends.

Oh, I researched the New Mexico in 36 battles, running no signals (I'm out!) and sometimes, no camo.  It wasn't much of a grind.

Edited by Tigerspook

Sign in to follow this