Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Turbotush

IFHE and the Black

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,353
[TWFT]
Members
1,342 posts
37,365 battles

So have been running the Black for ranked (going back to my early DD roots).  I was wondering about using IFHE, since I have been playing the Black as an area denial/DD hunter with a little torp damage on the side.

Noticed that since I do not have IFHE, killing other DD's has been a challenge.  I have a 44% hit rate so I'm not to worried about missing other DD's, it just seems like it has taken to long to kill them (especially that French DD!  That thing seams to be a tank).  Now it could be other factors like where am I hitting the enemy DD or at what angle the enemy is at, but lets assume I can hit them in the right place for now.

So, what are some of the opinions of players that have run the black a lot, IFHE or no IFHE.

I didn't do a poll because I would like to hear your thoughts.     :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,857 posts
15,308 battles

You don't need IFHE to help with dds, it won't help you pen anything else on a dd. You will not have any more damage on dds with ifhe

IFHE will help you pen one major threshold, 25mm. All the plating on bbs at the tier is 32mm,so no help there. 

The only help you get from ifhe with black is cruiser plating, but not on the American cruisers, which are 27mm. So the question is are you shooting at enough non American cruisers to justify using the 4 points? 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,353
[TWFT]
Members
1,342 posts
37,365 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

You don't need IFHE to help with dds, it won't help you pen anything else on a dd. You will not have any more damage on dds with ifhe

IFHE will help you pen one major threshold, 25mm. All the plating on bbs at the tier is 32mm,so no help there. 

The only help you get from ifhe with black is cruiser plating, but not on the American cruisers, which are 27mm. So the question is are you shooting at enough non American cruisers to justify using the 4 points? 

No, and I have been burning US CA's so that makes sense.  I think it could be were I am trying to hit, gona go to the training room for a day or two and see what I get there. 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,353
[TWFT]
Members
1,342 posts
37,365 battles
1 hour ago, silverdahc said:

Black meh

Jutland good

:cap_hmm:

Got the Jutland but I don't hit much with the guns!  I do like it, just not good in it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,424
[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,337 posts
20,013 battles
20 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

Got the Jutland but I don't hit much with the guns!  I do like it, just not good in it.

 

 Well if you're going to the training Room today  hint hint

 I hit better with jutland then I do with black

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
836
[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,410 posts
5,710 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

You don't need IFHE to help with dds, it won't help you pen anything else on a dd. You will not have any more damage on dds with ifhe

IFHE will help you pen one major threshold, 25mm. All the plating on bbs at the tier is 32mm,so no help there. 

The only help you get from ifhe with black is cruiser plating, but not on the American cruisers, which are 27mm. So the question is are you shooting at enough non American cruisers to justify using the 4 points? 

i think its worth noting cruisers are basically extinct in ranked. So honestly its 4 points better spent elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,857 posts
15,308 battles
6 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

i think its worth noting cruisers are basically extinct in ranked. So honestly its 4 points better spent elsewhere.

That's why the question. To provoke thought of what people are seeing in ranked. Most of the cruisers I was seeing were American. If a kronstadt is camping an island, I'm usually either staying stealthy or trying to stay out of radar range, so didn't find myself shooting them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,102
[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,418 posts
13,429 battles
2 hours ago, Turbotush said:

So have been running the Black for ranked (going back to my early DD roots).  I was wondering about using IFHE, since I have been playing the Black as an area denial/DD hunter with a little torp damage on the side.

Noticed that since I do not have IFHE, killing other DD's has been a challenge.  I have a 44% hit rate so I'm not to worried about missing other DD's, it just seems like it has taken to long to kill them (especially that French DD!  That thing seams to be a tank).  Now it could be other factors like where am I hitting the enemy DD or at what angle the enemy is at, but lets assume I can hit them in the right place for now.

So, what are some of the opinions of players that have run the black a lot, IFHE or no IFHE.

I didn't do a poll because I would like to hear your thoughts.     :Smile_honoring:

It would shore up some weakness against CA, but it will likely cost you RPF.  Its a big trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,159 posts
11,172 battles
15 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

It would shore up some weakness against CA, but it will likely cost you RPF.  Its a big trade.

Very much this. Added to that, non USN cruisers are really rare in Ranked this time around, heck, cruisers are fairly rare. For Black to work to its strengths, it needs RPF, SE, TAE, though one could take SI in place of SE for more radar charges, but I don't, the other Dds you'll see have way too many more HPs than Black for that to be viable, imo. While Black is a gunbote, it's much more of a torp slinging, DD hunting, cap contesting and taking ship. I routinely outfight the other DDs I see in Black. Jutland is in second place, for me. Both, however, eat Kita's for a nice breezy lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,723 posts
11,203 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

You don't need IFHE to help with dds, it won't help you pen anything else on a dd. You will not have any more damage on dds with ifhe

IFHE will help you pen one major threshold, 25mm. All the plating on bbs at the tier is 32mm,so no help there. 

The only help you get from ifhe with black is cruiser plating, but not on the American cruisers, which are 27mm. So the question is are you shooting at enough non American cruisers to justify using the 4 points? 

Current IFHE pen would get the US 127mm guns over the 27mm threshold, which would pen because its not rounding down like normal HE pen if memory serves.  Its why people like taking IFHE on the Mass so it can pen high tier cruisers as long as its not hitting the 30mm plating.(and i guess lower tier BBs)

 

as for using it on the black.  meh.   RPF, or a combo of several other skills would be more useful.   Especially if the captain is also used for other US DDs.  IFHE wouldn't help you with any high tier DD except the gearing, as it has that 21?mm plating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,857 posts
15,308 battles
1 hour ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

Current IFHE pen would get the US 127mm guns over the 27mm threshold, which would pen because its not rounding down like normal HE pen if memory serves.  Its why people like taking IFHE on the Mass so it can pen high tier cruisers as long as its not hitting the 30mm plating.(and i guess lower tier BBs)

 

as for using it on the black.  meh.   RPF, or a combo of several other skills would be more useful.   Especially if the captain is also used for other US DDs.  IFHE wouldn't help you with any high tier DD except the gearing, as it has that 21?mm plating.

The 30% is applied after rounding, not before rounding. 

127 divided by 6 is 21.17. Rounded down is 21, meaning it shatters on anything 21 and higher. Ifhe increases it by 30%. 21x1.3 is only 27.3 meaning it only pens 26mm.

But go verify it in training room and shoot at a 27mm plate. 

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

Edit. Or there is no rounding after the second calc meaning it does pen? Let's do the calculations as many ways as possible WG..... 

Edited by Ducky_shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,872 posts
6 hours ago, Turbotush said:

So have been running the Black for ranked (going back to my early DD roots).  I was wondering about using IFHE, since I have been playing the Black as an area denial/DD hunter with a little torp damage on the side.

Noticed that since I do not have IFHE, killing other DD's has been a challenge.  I have a 44% hit rate so I'm not to worried about missing other DD's, it just seems like it has taken to long to kill them (especially that French DD!  That thing seams to be a tank).  Now it could be other factors like where am I hitting the enemy DD or at what angle the enemy is at, but lets assume I can hit them in the right place for now.

So, what are some of the opinions of players that have run the black a lot, IFHE or no IFHE.

I didn't do a poll because I would like to hear your thoughts.     :Smile_honoring:

Although the Black is a good DD... its still USN. There's better DD killers concerning the guns out there. Sure radar is nice but... I think there's better things to spend the 4 points on.

That French DD gets a bonus to hull damage saturation from what I understand. And it can do twice the DPM you can in short bursts and out-run anything. I'd be careful shooting at those ones. They're specifically designed to kill  DD's to a degree...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×