Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

I remember when...

6 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles

I remember when...

- Wargaming broke HE so bad that a single shot from any ship could set you on fire and it became the preferred ammo of every ship class, including BB's

- a single CV could set up a V torp drop that was impossible to avoid and you would get slammed by 6 torps all at once.

- dd AA was anemic a CV could hover a flight of planes over top the DD and have them spotted for the entire game without losing a single plane

- a CV player could make an "all fighter build" for his CV and have games where there weren't enemy CV's

- you could que into a game and the enemy team would have a CV and your team wouldn't

- the Atlanta and Cleveland were the most feared ships across all nation's and almost all tiers

I'm not saying the game is perfect or you can't have a reason to have criticisms. However where the game was to where it is now is a large leap. I think overall the game has gotten better and better. There are things I don't like still and I will happily voice my opinion about them. Just remember there were much darker days for WoWs.

I still have nightmares about the HE break.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[GWG]
Members
6,958 posts
13,501 battles

A competitive fight between two good CV operators was like a heavy-weight boxing match.

It was VERY rare since they would do better ignoring each other and just farm damage / kills.

In fact, the game was better for them if fellow players died off.   They wouldn't strafe enemy planes until after they dropped.

Normally, between two good players, it was a contest to see who could kill off the enemy team faster.

There was an active complaint that CV operators had a 'TRUCE' that they wouldn't attack each other.

Then there were the 'Phantom Dud' accounts where CV ops go into battle against a sync-dropped second account.  It allowed them to see the entire enemy team, and could pick off the good players early.  When the chat raged, the 'dud' account would say they just started playing..  Yeah right!  Starting out with an Essex ????

In a match between a good and bad player, the good CV op didn't fare so well.  It usually involved an attempt of the bad player to 'snipe' the good player - ending in failure.  The bad player lost most of their planes and more friendlies survived.  This tipped the match into an unfair surface battle with the good CV harassing the enemy DDs and BBs, while spotting well.  The friendly surface ships got higher damage numbers since they weren't under attack.

Members
5,263 posts
9,960 battles
2 hours ago, otakuben said:

and it became the preferred ammo of every ship class, including BB's

Only by those who really had no idea how to use a BB.  It was used as a crutch.

• Cool 1

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles

Actually there was a brief time when HE was broken so bad the damage it out out was higher and more consistent than AP even on BB's. It wasn't lack of skill it was just that badly broken. I remember a game in my fuso where a enemy fuso hit me with HE during this time period and destroyed (not temporarily disabled) 3 of my 6 turrets.

[LOIN]
Supertester
810 posts

I remember when... 

The Imperial class Star Destroyer was a tier 20 battleship. 

Venator class Star destroyer was a tier 20 CV.

Valkyrie class battle star was tier 20 heavy cruiser. 

Oh wait... wrong game.

Edited by Starfleet1701

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,644 posts
3 hours ago, otakuben said:

I remember when...

- Wargaming broke HE so bad that a single shot from any ship could set you on fire and it became the preferred ammo of every ship class, including BB's

Far too many players use only HE or AP and don't switch. If you watch some of the experts like Flambass you will notice that they are always switching shell types. Some ships still offer really good fire chances but I've seen many a Conqueror continue to spam HE at a broadside target when it would be much better to load AP.

- a single CV could set up a V torp drop that was impossible to avoid and you would get slammed by 6 torps all at once.

I hit a CA the other day with 6 torps from  my Midway and did 6000 damage., No-one believed me. However, take a CV out for your self and you will see why CV torps are mostly a nuisance to anything but a low-health ship nowadays. My Montana laughs at CV torps -- torp it all you wish, they only do minute damage and flooding recovery time is 15 seconds.

- dd AA was anemic a CV could hover a flight of planes over top the DD and have them spotted for the entire game without losing a single plane

I've lost an entire Midway squadron to a Shimakaze and you have to be really cautious against any DD that's even close to being a gunboat.

- a CV player could make an "all fighter build" for his CV and have games where there weren't enemy CV's

- you could que into a game and the enemy team would have a CV and your team wouldn'

I do like the CV matching they do now. One CV games were way too overpowered for the team that had six permaspotters. What I do miss, however, is the ability to control fighters. I still get teammates yelling at me all the time to "Provide AA support!" when they should know good and well that it's a limited consumable and that I can't be all over the map all of the time to help everyone.

- the Atlanta and Cleveland were the most feared ships across all nation's and almost all tiers

I miss my tier VI Cleveland. I cry myself to sleep every night pining for it. :Smile_sad:

As for Atlantas, well, they are still monsters in good hands.

image.png.1ed4140c64ed4b5735d19057e8ec0521.png

Edited by Snargfargle

Sign in to follow this