Schnitchelkid01_

My Favorite WW2 Documentary Series.

9 comments in this topic

Members
794 posts
1,707 battles

I remember watching reruns of this series a few years back. If you like an in-depth overview of famous World War 2 battles this series is one of the best.  Granted the series is older and aren't the most up to date but they are still really well done.
Here is the episode that is on Midway.

https://youtu.be/1w30FkSXyTE?list=PLxueyrcdi6S1MxlSU6fiBCnPIPICaUDsi

Note: Youtube didn't allow this video to be embedded...

Feel free to share some of your favorite WW2 Documentary and Historical Shows.

• Cool 2

[PROJX]
Members
1,111 posts
27,197 battles

Fully agree!   Battlefield was produced & broadcast on PBS stations almost 30 yrs ago!  Thanks for posting a link to a channel w/ these gems — 

• Cool 1

Members
3,585 posts
13,004 battles

Yes, I remember when these first aired. I still put these on the background when Im doing other things.

There is a Vietnam War series of the same.

Often when playing WoWs, I have either this series (battlefield) or Mike Duncan's podcast on the history of ancient Rome. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

Battlefield was good but I found The World at War better mainly because they had better access to the men that fought. My favorite though is Dogfights and ironically they did a better job on Leyte Gulf than the naval show which was entirely focused on the Enterprise.

Favorite episodes.

[RLGN]
Members
14,313 posts
25,256 battles
2 hours ago, Ben_CA68 said:

Practically wore out the vinyl/records of the soundtrack my local library had, because I checked them out to play them so much as a kid.

Still a go to CD whenever I’m driving.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,919 posts
26,913 battles

Like mentioned before, PBS made a good series about the Vietnam War

There are two excellent documentaries at Netflix by Ken Burns

"The War" is about WW2 and had tons of diaries and eyewitness accounts in it. It's less about the campaings, more about how US soldiers and civilians experienced the war.

"The Vietnam War" does the same, people tell how they experienced the time, soldiers, their families, anti war and pro war protesters plus a good chunk of the politics.

Not sure if it is at Netflix, but Ken Burns started with the probably best documentary about the American Civil War.

Also: there is also a book out for every one of them, I can highly recommend them. They are just bad bed lecture because of their size.

There was a good British documentary about WW2 from 1973. Just keep in mind that stuff like the breaking of Enigma was Top Secret

There is also a intersting series about WW2 in the east form the Russians. It's called The Great Patriotic War

It shows how much Stalin unterestimated the Germans in the begining of Babarossa and how much of a meatgrinder the Eastern Front was

I only find the Russian link by now, but there is a version in English out somewhere

[TASC]
Members
325 posts
11,381 battles

First shows I remember is World at War and this 30 minute show.  I cannot remember the title of 30 minute show, the intro showed ships at sea, a Russian woman crying over dead bodies and a German boy in uniform crying. My father telling me that 13 year old boy had to go war, when I was 13.

I liked the Dogfight series and only saw the first season Battlefield, do not know until many years later, there were more seasons. I never heard about the Victory at Sea before.