Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CV_Jeebies

Tsar Alexander Ovechkin -- 50 bucks????

51 comments in this topic

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,181 battles

C'mon WG, would you please just pretend to understand economics, once?

You may get 300 people to pay $50 for this pixel bro.....
BUT you'll more than likely get 10 times that amount at $10

So, let's do some math here --
$50 x 300 database entries = $15,000
$10 x 3,000 database entries = $30,000

Then you end up with twice as much money for the virtual good and  yet, 10x as many satisfied customers.  You're pricing yourselves out of the  market for no logical reason.

Here, it's a pretty simple concept with one exception, the curves are not linear for unique items / sale items
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newSTR_69.htm

Edited by NoSoMo
  • Cool 14
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
13,240 posts
7 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

C'mon WG, would you please just pretend to understand economics, once?

C'mon @NoSoMo, you have no idea what WOWS books look like to determine whether or not they make more or less money with the current pricing. Considering how many new premiums I see right after release, I'd say they have a pretty good grasp on how much their playerbase is willing to spend on limited time items.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Boring 3

[QQ7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
89 posts
8,935 battles

I believe it's also more expensive because it's an actual person, and they have to pay to use it, etc etc.

Could be wrong, but my guess.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,181 battles
11 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

C'mon @NoSoMo, you have no idea what WOWS books look like to determine whether or not they make more or less money with the current pricing. Considering how many new premiums I see right after release, I'd say they have a pretty good grasp on how much their playerbase is willing to spend on limited time items.

Read the whole post including the "You're pricing yourselves out of the  market for no logical reason."
I won't buy a ship for the cost of a game, as such I have only free premiums.  I can give you the names of 30 players with the same belief that WG has priced themselves out of the market.  I also know a much smaller segment that are "collectors" and will buy nearly anything.  I don't need to see their books to know how much their pricing models miss the mark.  I guess it's a good thing though, I probably would have spent 3x as much on the game than I have. 

This is also evident at the continual complaints regarding steam pricing / specials and how different they are.  That's a prime example of "the market".

Edited by NoSoMo
  • Cool 1

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,181 battles
Just now, _Prometh3us said:

I believe it's also more expensive because it's an actual person, and they have to pay to use it, etc etc.

Could be wrong, but my guess.

Buy one of these and you get a variant of him once the collection is complete
image.thumb.png.6914604648daeb4e63d1dfd2e70d15cf.png
https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/specials/12663/

[A-D-F]
7,479 posts
13 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

Read the whole post including the "You're pricing yourselves out of the  market for no logical reason."
I won't buy a ship for the cost of a game, as such I have only free premiums.  I can give you the names of 30 players with the same belief that WG has priced themselves out of the market.  I also know a much smaller segment that are "collectors" and will buy nearly anything.  I don't need to see their books to know how much their pricing models miss the mark. 

This is also evident at the continual complaints regarding steam pricing / specials and how different they are.  That's a prime example of "the market".

WG have been doing this for a very long time.

If they made more money by offering it cheaper, I am very sure that they would do that.

Members
1,092 posts
3 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

I, for one, totally agree with op. Another thing is, with cheaper pricing, most likely, we would get a more populous player base too...

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[SALVO]
Members
24,776 posts
25,829 battles
40 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

I, for one, totally agree with op. Another thing is, with cheaper pricing, most likely, we would get a more populous player base too...

You and the OP are missing something.  Maybe WG has a reason for their pricing structure.  For example, the space camos from the April Fools space missions event cost around $40 each IIRC, which is a good deal more than the roughly $22-23 they charge for a standard tier 10 premium perma camo.  As at the time, they said that the reason was that they didn't want to flood the game with these camos, so they set the price point higher.

Frankly, I don't think that you guys sound like you have a thorough understanding of economics.  Sure, you understand the concept of volume pricing, but there are other pricing models that exist as well.  For example, why do you think that companies of luxury cars charge so much?  After all, wouldn't they sell more units if they set the price lower?  The fact is that there are reasons you don't set the price lower.  It's been a long time since I took Macro and Micro Economics in college, so my recollection of this is vague, but these reasons absolutely exist.  One of them is something like not wanting to damage the image of the brand as being a high end luxury products.    They are trying to appeal to a different clientele who is willing to pay more for the image.  (BTW, I don't remember if this is a Micro or Macro economics topic.)  

Back to WG.

I'm absolutely sure that they have their reasons for how and where they set their prices that are much more than merely "we're greedy".

[SALVO]
Members
24,776 posts
25,829 battles

BTW, I won't be buying the Czar Ovechkin captain, mostly because I don't want to spend the extra money on 30 days of premium.  If they'd set the price point to be for the Czar captain only at around $35 or so, that might have gotten me to open my wallet.  But given that I already have a LOT of premium time, I don't really want to spend to get more, unless it's something extremely special.  And this isn't it, for me.

[HINON]
Members
13,240 posts
1 hour ago, NoSoMo said:

I won't buy a ship for the cost of a game, as such I have only free premiums.  I can give you the names of 30 players with the same belief that WG has priced themselves out of the market.  I also know a much smaller segment that are "collectors" and will buy nearly anything.  I don't need to see their books to know how much their pricing models miss the mark. 

You cannot possibly know that because you have too small of a sample and no meaningful data on what this looks like server wide. Personally, I don't plan on buying him either but I'm sure others will find it worth it.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,461 posts

You know, you all may be missing the mark completely here... it is quite reasonable to figure they paid the man a lump sum for the unlimited use of his name/image/whatever in relationship to the game, this game. Such an expenditure can be spread across many cost centers (accounting-wise). So the price they get no doubt enters into a profit region far sooner than you might imagine.

If they did pay a lump sum, that cost could be accounted for in last year's books, so it's done and over. This year's sales would conceivably be nothing but profit. I seem to recall someone saying the last time you could get him it was $100. If that's accurate, this could be a 50% off sale. But I suspect it's nothing but profit. 

[WOLF3]
Members
26,992 posts
23,790 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

What a joke. I would *NEVER* pay this kind of money for a freaking commander.

You aren't.  The Premium Time is what greatly inflates it.

This is just like certain Premium Ship Bundles where the add-ons drive up the price to be higher.  Something like a Tier VII Premium Ship normally would be cheap, but with certain bundles that add flags, credits, doubloons, etc., it goes up a lot.  What should have been a $35-40 USD Tier VII ship, is suddenly packaged for like $80.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,592 posts
3 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

The same company that rolled out NTC PTW and spent a full day defending it against a raging player base? Does tossing something like that out there, knowing there would be some backlash over it really say to you..."We're doing fine"?:cap_hmm:

[K0]
Members
186 posts
4,303 battles

Is this Ovichken different from the previous one? I have both the russian and the american Ovichkens and they don't seem able to be put on both nation's ships.

[A-D-F]
7,479 posts
12 minutes ago, Barazzuolio said:

Is this Ovichken different from the previous one? I have both the russian and the american Ovichkens and they don't seem able to be put on both nation's ships.

Yeah I learned today there were several versions.  The ones you have (and I) were earned via the event and collection.  They are exactly the same, except they are stuck to just the one nation.  The ones that are for sale right now, were originally chance drops out of crates and can be used for either RU or US.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,560 battles

Burnsy is correct, there were three different Ovichwhatevers. I could have sworn you earned the US and USSR one and the special one was a drop, but my memory is crap. Anyways I do remember I didn't care for the dual nation one because he looked stupid with a crown or some such... 

• Cool 1

[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles
9 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Burnsy is correct, there were three different Ovichwhatevers. I could have sworn you earned the US and USSR one and the special one was a drop, but my memory is crap. Anyways I do remember I didn't care for the dual nation one because he looked stupid with a crown or some such... 

There were four:

1) US-only Ovechkin in naval uniform. @Burnsy, this is the one you have.

2) Russian-only Ovechkin in naval uniform.

3) Binational Hockey Ovechkin.

4) Binational Halloween "I will F your zombie S--t up with my hockey stick of sharpened steel" Imperial Ovechkin (his very existence pointing to the fact that Tsarism seems not to be a crime in Russia any more).

As quoted by @Ensign_Cthulhu

• Cool 1

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,181 battles
4 hours ago, Crucis said:

You and the OP are missing something.  Maybe WG has a reason for their pricing structure.  For example, the space camos from the April Fools space missions event cost around $40 each IIRC, which is a good deal more than the roughly $22-23 they charge for a standard tier 10 premium perma camo.  As at the time, they said that the reason was that they didn't want to flood the game with these camos, so they set the price point higher.

Frankly, I don't think that you guys sound like you have a thorough understanding of economics.  Sure, you understand the concept of volume pricing, but there are other pricing models that exist as well.  For example, why do you think that companies of luxury cars charge so much?  After all, wouldn't they sell more units if they set the price lower?  The fact is that there are reasons you don't set the price lower.  It's been a long time since I took Macro and Micro Economics in college, so my recollection of this is vague, but these reasons absolutely exist. 

I think you forget that WG originates from a society where the economics you were taught, were and to some point still are, a foreign concept -- those classes represent free market ideology.  Economics was one of my minors chosen by choice (I have a few) because I'm fond of the subject.  There are certain aspects of business, especially when it comes to repeat business that are universally applicable to this game.  Customer retention is cheaper than acquiring new ones, especially considering a new customer isn't synonymous with continued customer.  We've just witnessed several "referral" drives back to back with a top prize of $10k.  You don't do that because all is well.  It coincided with an unusually large number of adverts / youtube sponsorships the likes of which I've yet to see from any company, let alone for a single product.  I think they could use a hand when it comes to the various markets they operate in -- each culture views things differently.  Chinese culture believes in disposal everything / shared IP,  Russian's are typically happy with being able to purchase a "new and improved" product if it obsoletes one they previously purchased, while the US / Canadian markets are more geared towards NOT wanting their products to lose their advantages/features (ie ships) when a new one comes along.  Those are rough approximations of trends, not absolutes, but if you understand that aspect you might just understand why the game goes the direction it does.

WOWs isn't a luxury "must have" status item, nor are the ships in it.  It'd do them well to substantially reduce prices (better than 50%) and increase the number of satisfied customers they get because of it.  As I stated in a previous post, I'm somewhat glad that things are so overly priced -- I probably wouldn't have a "not paying for a ship that costs as much as a game" attitude which would have seen me spend a lot more on the game -- I'd have quite a few purchased ships. 

As for losing status in a "luxury" aspect, read into Lamborghini and what happened to them after Audi purchased them.  They're substantially larger, far more profitable, and selling stupid amounts of cars compared to what they were.  Their quality is up substantially and not only are they still extremely well known, they have several times the number of customers now than they would have had they continued on the same path before Audi bought them. 

It takes a unanimous global revolt to get WG to change directions (see NTC).  It shouldn't be that way -- listen to customers, it's cheaper to keep them than it is to find new ones!

Edited by NoSoMo
  • Cool 1

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,072 posts
3,866 battles

Seems to me that Tanks has taken the opposite approach on their pricing of items to bank more on volume...costs are about half as much for Santa boxes, premium tanks about 2/3rds the cost, much cheaper permanent camos (as little as 150g for any tier), etc., which leads me to believe there just isn't enough WoWS population to support lower prices to then make it up with volume.  WoWS is definitely the priciest game I still play, but my list of premiums tells the tale...6 here in WoWS and 24 over on WoT after only playing both for about a year.  WoT seems to also throw a lot of free premiums out there, or gated behind very simple missions...just got a T3 one today to start the new Czech missions by merely logging in.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this