Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Prof_Nutbutter

Super ultra noob question about fires

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles

Lets say a ship dies with multiple fires burning it. These fires are started by different ships. Which fire gets the kill? The oldest fire? Youngest? Randomly assigned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393
[WOLFG]
Members
9,633 posts
8,624 battles
1 minute ago, Pytheas said:

Lets say a ship dies with multiple fires burning it. These fires are started by different ships. Which fire gets the kill? The oldest fire? Youngest? Randomly assigned?

Since the damage ticks off, I am going to assume the one that gets the last tick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Since the damage ticks off, I am going to assume the one that gets the last tick.

I thought all ticks happened at the same time. So this is my problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393
[WOLFG]
Members
9,633 posts
8,624 battles
3 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

I thought all ticks happened at the same time. So this is my problem?

I am just guessing here, but probably something like this:

We both set a ship on fire. 

You lit it first, so your tick is counted first

My tick gets counted second, but my tick is the one that takes the ship to 0 HP, so I get credited with the kill.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Edit:  This is an excellent question.  I have wondered the same thing.

Edited by DrHolmes52
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,375
[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles

It's a good question... I don't know if there's a definitive answer anywhere.  When you add flooding into consideration, you could have a ship taking DOT damage from six different opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,268
[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles
9 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

I thought all ticks happened at the same time. So this is my problem?

From my understanding they don‘t tick at the same time. Each fire ticks once per second, and two fires can thus tick once ever half second or any other fitting combo of ticks.

You can try that in a training room fairly quickly. Set a fire on a target, stopwatch the ticks. Then set a second fire and stopwatch the intervalls between the ticks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393
[WOLFG]
Members
9,633 posts
8,624 battles
1 minute ago, SireneRacker said:

From my understanding they don‘t tick at the same time. Each fire ticks once per second, and two fires can thus tick once ever half second or any other fitting combo of ticks.

You can try that in a training room fairly quickly. Set a fire on a target, stopwatch the ticks. Then set a second fire and stopwatch the intervalls between the ticks again.

This leads to another question.

What is the (for lack of a better term) sampling rate on the servers for tracking things like when a shell hits, or a fire starts/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,268
[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

This leads to another question.

What is the (for lack of a better term) sampling rate on the servers for tracking things like when a shell hits, or a fire starts/

Eh, sorry for asking, but could you elaborate what you mean with sampling rate? It translates into something I don‘t quite get the meaning of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393
[WOLFG]
Members
9,633 posts
8,624 battles
Just now, SireneRacker said:

Eh, sorry for asking, but could you elaborate what you mean with sampling rate? It translates into something I don‘t quite get the meaning of.

The game references when it something (a shell hit, a fire being started) occurs on a time scale.  How fast the game can track the occurences would be the sampling rate.

Like two ships shoot at the same target.  Both hit the ship, but one ships shells get there first, so it gets the kill, but how far apart will they have to be so the game can tell determine which shell hit first?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,375
[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles

pretty sure damage over time effects are once per second, all synced together.  You ever see a battleship with three fires and two floods on it losing health in little bits five separate times per second?  I haven't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
18 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

pretty sure damage over time effects are once per second, all synced together.  You ever see a battleship with three fires and two floods on it losing health in little bits five separate times per second?  I haven't.

This is my understanding. I just watched a ship die due to fire from multiple ships. It took damage once per tick. So I wonder how the game determines which damage gets counted first/next/so on. What makes most sense is the oldest fire would take damage first, but my observation is that may not be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
39 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

From my understanding they don‘t tick at the same time. Each fire ticks once per second, and two fires can thus tick once ever half second or any other fitting combo of ticks.

You can try that in a training room fairly quickly. Set a fire on a target, stopwatch the ticks. Then set a second fire and stopwatch the intervalls between the ticks again.

Thank you. My observation in random is that all the dot damage gets assigned at the same time. Maybe some of us could watch this closer to confirm my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
818
[CK5]
Members
1,374 posts
14,359 battles

I have absolutely no idea if this is correct, but it would make sense if the oldest fire (or flooding) among multiple fires would be credited first for damage each second.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,023
[SBS]
Members
5,908 posts
46 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

The game references when it something (a shell hit, a fire being started) occurs on a time scale.  How fast the game can track the occurences would be the sampling rate.

Like two ships shoot at the same target.  Both hit the ship, but one ships shells get there first, so it gets the kill, but how far apart will they have to be so the game can tell determine which shell hit first?

 

Well, the new AA tick rate is every 2/7ths of a second.  Is everything calculated at that rate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
113
[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,752 battles

I would think that whomever's fire/flooding/last shell hit that takes the ship to 0 HP will get credited with the kill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×