You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Derfburger1

Advice needed – Ship purchasing and General Advice for a New Player  

54 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
955 battles

Hi Everyone,

1st post here so please be gentle ;).

I am a basically a new player.  I noticed last night I finally passed the 500 game mark.  Yay me!

So that said I feel I am ready to dip my toes into the PvP (Random) aspect of the game.  I really want to get into the Random battles before I develop too many bad habits from CoOp.

I have tried a very few Random battles in the past, mostly just messing around or completing a mission and most were very early on so not very good results.

I really enjoy running tier IV-VI ships, and definitely know better than to try jumping into anything higher as I would be slaughtered and drag the team down. Tier V and VI seem to be a nice spot for me so far in CoOp.  I tried looking for Random games in tier II and III to practice, but at the times I am available to play (NA server late night) the wait time is rough in those low level ships.

So enough about me and on to the meat…

1.  I am considering getting a new ship so I am looking for some premium ship ideas that might be good in tier V or VI.  The kicker is money is an issue (I know I am in the wrong game with money as an issue lol, but I do love warships) so I really don’t want to drop 50-60 dollars on a ship, but I do enjoy the benefits of a premium ship.  I generally run premium time when I am playing heavily so the double dip with a premium ship and premium time is nice. 

I lean towards BB as they are more forgiving when I get stupid, but I like CL/CA too and just recently after getting a Guepard drop am starting to enjoy DD too (never touched CVs yet).

I do already have some premium ships (either super cheap ones or free for missions or signing up etc).

Tachibana Lima II

Smith II

Diana Lima II

Charleston III

Yubari IV

Murmansk V

Texas V

Warspite VI- favorite so far got it as a sign up bonus

Graf Zepplin VIII (got from a mission crate last month haven’t touched it – sure looks purty in my port tho) 

So any advice regarding premiums ships would be great.

2.  General advice any for a new Random player will be appreciated.  Not asking for a huge long response as I know there are a lot of youtubers, twitch streamers, how to posts, and all that.  I watch and read what I can, but I work a good bit and have a family so quite often it boils down to watching twitch or actually getting to play a game.  How about just some I wish I knew type tidbits.  I wish I knew before I jumped in to Random…

Anyway thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a great day!

Derfburger

PS Semper Fi to my fellow Marines I see posting on the board from time to time!

• Cool 4

[YORHA]
Members
4,950 posts
9,865 battles

Best advise I can think of moving from PvE to PvP is sloooooow down.  PvE teaches you to rush in and get the kills.  Try that in PvP and you will be back in port quickly.  If you are in a BB set course for the middle of your side of the map and don't go more than 3/4 speed.  See how the reds are positioning and look for ones that are making mistakes and capitalize on them.

Last longer and do you will more damage.

• Cool 6

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,591 battles
3 minutes ago, Derfburger1 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am a basically a new player.  I noticed last night I finally passed the 500 game mark.  Yay me!

So that said I feel I am ready to dip my toes into the PvP (Random) aspect of the game.  I really want to get into the Random battles before I develop too many bad habits from CoOp.

I have tried a very few Random battles in the past, mostly just messing around or completing a mission and most were very early on so not very good results.

I really enjoy running tier IV-VI ships, and definitely know better than to try jumping into anything higher as I would be slaughtered and drag the team down. Tier V and VI seem to be a nice spot for me so far in CoOp.  I tried looking for Random games in tier II and III to practice, but at the times I am available to play (NA server late night) the wait time is rough in those low level ships.

1.  I am considering getting a new ship so I am looking for some premium ship ideas that might be good in tier V or VI.  The kicker is money is an issue (I know I am in the wrong game with money as an issue lol, but I do love warships) so I really don’t want to drop 50-60 dollars on a ship, but I do enjoy the benefits of a premium ship.  I generally run premium time when I am playing heavily so the double dip with a premium ship and premium time is nice. 

I lean towards BB as they are more forgiving when I get stupid, but I like CL/CA too and just recently after getting a Guepard drop am starting to enjoy DD too (never touched CVs yet).

I do already have some premium ships (either super cheap ones or free for missions or signing up etc).

Tachibana Lima II

Smith II

Diana Lima II

Charleston III

Yubari IV

Murmansk V

Texas V

Graf Zepplin VIII (got from a mission crate last month haven’t touched it – sure looks purty in my port tho) 

2.  General advice any for a new Random player will be appreciated.  Not asking for a huge long response as I know there are a lot of youtubers, twitch streamers, how to posts, and all that.  I watch and read what I can, but I work a good bit and have a family so quite often it boils down to watching twitch or actually getting to play a game.  How about just some I wish I knew type tidbits.  I wish I knew before I jumped in to Random…

Derfburger

Semper Fi, brother.

Tier 4 is protected matchmaking.  You will not get uptiered to a tier 6 battle.  Tier 5 is not protected.  You can, and will, see tier 7 battles.

I don't do PvP all that often.  There will be plenty of folks flocking in with all sorts of advice for you.  If I were in your shoes, I would probably stick to the tier 4 and below for a bit.  Don't be shy about running tech tree ships as well.

Good hunting, Devil Dog.  :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,461 posts

Premiums are not per se better than tech tree ships, they just play a bit differently, generate income and can use any captain of the line without retraining, and allow a player to get a tier-similar ship without having to grind to it. My advice would be to pick a ship line and play at least 100 battles in each ship before you go to the next. If there is one you really like then look around for a Premium version that has all its good properties and other things you wish it had.

BTW, I'll forgive you for being a Marine, not everyone is cut out for the Army. :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 2

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,442 battles
9 minutes ago, Derfburger1 said:

Just wanted to say good on you; this is a very good mindset. You should not feel at all obligated to rush up the tiers like so many other potatoes have done.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,231 posts
14,117 battles

First, welcome aboard. Second, you seem to have already grasped that racing up the tiers is a mistake, plus one for that. Take your time leveling up, get good with each ship before moving up. The middle tiers have the most enjoyable game play for most people as you noticed and I would extend that range to tier 4 - 7. Third, you already have a good selection of premiums but one more to consider is the Graf Spee at tier 6.

I was Air Force, we send our officers out to fight. :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,835 battles

Congrats on the 500 games!

As far as things go, I'd highly recommend tier 4, then 5 for getting into randoms.  Tier 4 is probably the best place to get a grip on the differences between player and bot behavior.  You shouldn't have to be there long though since the differences are very noticeable.  It's not extremely low tier so gameplay is somewhat similar to tier 5+, but it's not as filled with veteran players.  Tier 5 is where you start regularly seeing tiers 6-7 enemies, which is where many long time players stick around for more relaxing games or credit farming.  While tier 5 will teach you better than tier 4, you'll also have to start learning the metagame, enemy ship strengths, and how each map tends to play out on top of everything else, which may be a bit much at first.  Tier 4 generally lacks the meta aspects of things, and you can focus on learning tactics and positioning.  The best thing you can do in a random game when you're new is watch somebody after you've died.  While you're watching, ask yourself what you would do in the same situation and see what the person does.  Did they do the same?  Did they not?  And more importantly, did it work?  Or did they go up in flames?  It's much easier to learn when you're not the one at the helm.

For premiums, I think you already have a good set.  Texas and Warspite are both very solid ships for their tier.  Yuubari and Murmansk will teach you good cruiser play by being unforgiving, yet powerful ships in the right hands.  One free premium ship you can work towards is the Shinonome, from the Science of Victory campaign.  Otherwise I wouldn't recommend buying a premium at 5-6 unless you want the ship in particular.  Many of the low/mid tier premiums have quirky playstyles that not everyone likes, and it's best to play a similar tech tree ship before you drop money on one of them.  On the other hand there's also plenty of premium ships in the Armory.  If you get the "More Resources" container every time you can collect, you'll start accumulating coal at a decent pace.  Since the lower tier ones aren't too expensive coal wise, you'll be able to get yourself a credit grinder/captain trainer in decent time.  Plus it gives you a goal to work towards!

Best of luck!

• Cool 1

[TCAL]
Members
66 posts
10,006 battles

Welcome aboard.

Couple of quick hits..

For a forgiving BB in the T5 - T6 range, Arizona is very solid. Its not that different from Warspite that you have already tho

Also Sharnhorst 4tw. Little more expensive, and is T7, but plays different than your average BB.

• Cool 1

Members
1,872 posts

You're fortunate you got the Graf Zepplin as an award. That about a $60 ship... :)

T7 ships are sorta the best mix of income, high/low skill gameplay, and utility. I'd recommend an old favorite BB (if that's your thing), the Scharnhorst. But obviously it costs money.

But as I'm sure you know there's a fair amount of "coal" ships to be earned in the Armory. They take grinding and time. But they can be free. Furthermore there's a mission to earn the Shinonome which is a T6 DD. It's regarded as a decent hybrid type of Japanese DD... decent grind to get yet again though.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
2,250 posts
11,885 battles
12 minutes ago, Derfburger1 said:

Hi Everyone,

Tachibana Lima II

Smith II

Diana Lima II

Charleston III

Yubari IV

Murmansk V

Texas V

Derfburger

Welcome to the game and forum

There is really no simple answer to your question.

I believe it really comes down to this: What do you like to play?

DDs, CAs, CLs, BBs, and yes, even CVs. All have their good points and bad.

Myself, I am kind of a jack of all trades, I play all types of ships. But I do not have 'every' premium there is. Generally, before I get a ship, I will look up LittleWhiteMouse's review of the ship. I will also check out videos on Youtube put up by CCs to get their opinion on a ship. I go with multiple sources because not everyone agrees and on occasion (and I'm sorry LWM) I find while a reviewer might say pass on the Ship, I actually have a great time in it.

As for moving into Randoms, it is best to start out in low tiers and work your way up. It is unfortunate that the time you have to game is not during 'primetime' as it were. Gameplay in the higher tier randoms is vastly different from lower tier randoms. Mistakes made at the lower tiers are not punished as hard or as quickly as they are in higher tiers. As much as you can, and I know its hard, you really need to get that time in on the low tier randoms.

• Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
1,921 posts
18,785 battles

One of favorite ships in the game (have played just about them all) is the Arizona.  Great tier 6 BB,  good gun accuracy, slow but tanky.  One of the gems of the game, good teacher for successful BB play and even when tiered up into an 8 game, those 12 main guns can still be competitive 

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,591 battles
15 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

One of favorite ships in the game (have played just about them all) is the Arizona.  Great tier 6 BB,  good gun accuracy, slow but tanky.  One of the gems of the game, good teacher for successful BB play and even when tiered up into an 8 game, those 12 main guns can still be competitive 

This exactly.  Arizona and Warspite are both excellent when playing operations as well.

[INTEL]
Members
3,012 posts
16,410 battles
42 minutes ago, Derfburger1 said:

Tachibana Lima II

Smith II

Diana Lima II

Charleston III

Yubari IV

Murmansk V

Texas V

Good first post.

And you already have some of the best Premium ships for Randoms.  Especially if you want to stick with BBs for awhile.  Texas and Warspite are both fantastic BBs at T5 and T6.  I'd use any money you want to allocate to gameplay towards Premium time.  This will allow you to accumulate resources and credits faster to support purchase of upgrades and premium consumables.

[PVE]
Members
1,012 posts
8,398 battles

As for ships, you already have 2 good BBs so I would look to a cruiser if want to buy something. Check out De Grasse, her long range and good accuracy make her flexible and fun. She even does well when bottom tier due to that range.  De Grasse is also different (better) than the cruisers that you already have.  

Use cover with cruisers when you can because they have paper armor.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,615 posts
13,890 battles
45 minutes ago, Derfburger1 said:

Tachibana Lima II

Smith II

Diana Lima II

Charleston III

Yubari IV

Murmansk V

Texas V

OP, for the number of games you have under your belt, you have enough premium ships for now in my opinion. The low tier ones are fun to chill in, and the Tier 5 and 6 ones represent a good cross section of types and nations. 

I didn't start spending money on this game until I'd been playing it for about nine months, and I still had a great time.

My advice to you about the Graf Zeppelin is this - CV can be fun, you should know what it's like to be in the carrier driver's shoes, and IMHO you should develop at least one tech-tree line from the bottom up. In the meantime, you can take your Graf Zeppelin into the training room (which you should take time to learn to use) and play with it there, learning to use all the weapons against stationary bots, then moving ones, then moving ones that fire back. This will cost you no credits, although conversely you will gain no XP, but it will enable you to have some fun with it without getting massacred or letting your teams down.

In addition, if you want to throw yourself in at the CV deep end with minimal harm done you can do it here  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/public-test-087/  where you can try out the carriers (and other ships) of various nations for a few days twice a month and see which one(s) you want to try out on the live server.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,242 posts
17,267 battles
1 hour ago, Derfburger1 said:

How about just some I wish I knew type tidbits.  I wish I knew before I jumped in to Random…

You might try doing some Operations with a team. If you have Discord you might want to try the Hoperations channel, the guys and gals on there are usually on later at night. They will help you out with what you need to do and good strategies to do it.  It really helps when you can talk to the whole team. I will leave you a link to the discord channel and to @Lightninger's YouTube channel.

https://discord.gg/k9VcVD

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC85uXS6bvbFqp7Y7L5QeYIQ

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,505 posts
7,961 battles

If money is an issue, don't bother with a premium at this point.

While it will earn you more credits, it provides zero progress as far as the tech tree, because you can't use the ship XP for anything unless you spend money to convert it.

Just focus on the tech tree for awhile, try different lines/ship types, figure out what kind of playstyle you prefer, and then get one that suits that playstyle.

If you get a premium, and then end up not enjoying it, you'll hate playing whenever you want to use it to grind some credits or captain XP.

• Cool 1

[RWBY]
Members
1,487 posts
8,077 battles
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

If money is an issue, don't bother with a premium at this point.

While it will earn you more credits, it provides zero progress as far as the tech tree, because you can't use the ship XP for anything unless you spend money to convert it.

Just focus on the tech tree for awhile, try different lines/ship types, figure out what kind of playstyle you prefer, and then get one that suits that playstyle.

If you get a premium, and then end up not enjoying it, you'll hate playing whenever you want to use it to grind some credits or captain XP.

Say what?  Premium time let's you grind through the lines over twice as fast.  I have never converted xp with doubloons.  You use the ship XP  to research the next ships and free XP to unlock modules or ships.

Edit ohhhhh my bad, misunderstood.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[ARGSY]
Members
19,615 posts
13,890 battles
1 minute ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

Say what?  Premium time let's you grind through the lines over twice as fast.  You use the ship XP  to research the next ships and free XP to unlock modules or ships.

He's talking about premium SHIPS ("A premium"), not premium TIME.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,505 posts
7,961 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

He's talking about premium SHIPS ("A premium"), not premium TIME.

I could have been more clear lol.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,905 posts
20,388 battles

The PEF for german battleship. 

T61 or Gallant for a DD.

De Grasse for a cruiser. 

Most fun you can have and great match making ?

Schornhurst.

[TDRB]
Members
5,017 posts
13,513 battles

Every ship T6 & above needs at least a 10pt commander. Many premiums in T6 & above will have 19pt commanders. Don't jump too for with a premium.

Members
6 posts
955 battles

Wow lots a great stuff really didn't expect so many response so quick.  There is a lot of really great posts and I ran out of thumbs up (guess they are limited lol).

A lot to digest here. I will look in depth and check out some of the links and such when I get home from work and check on any new posts.

Great community A+

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,128 posts
24,674 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OP, for the number of games you have under your belt, you have enough premium ships for now in my opinion. The low tier ones are fun to chill in, and the Tier 5 and 6 ones represent a good cross section of types and nations. 

I didn't start spending money on this game until I'd been playing it for about nine months, and I still had a great time.

My advice to you about the Graf Zeppelin is this - CV can be fun, you should know what it's like to be in the carrier driver's shoes, and IMHO you should develop at least one tech-tree line from the bottom up. In the meantime, you can take your Graf Zeppelin into the training room (which you should take time to learn to use) and play with it there, learning to use all the weapons against stationary bots, then moving ones, then moving ones that fire back. This will cost you no credits, although conversely you will gain no XP, but it will enable you to have some fun with it without getting massacred or letting your teams down.

In addition, if you want to throw yourself in at the CV deep end with minimal harm done you can do it here  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/public-test-087/  where you can try out the carriers (and other ships) of various nations for a few days twice a month and see which one(s) you want to try out on the live server.

Going training room and PT is excellent advice. Charged up a battleship line in public test (they give lots of credits so you can,) and found I liked the ships more than I expected.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,397 posts

Well,  Both the USS Hill, and the French DD Siroco  are tier 5 DD's  available now, and aren't very expensive.   If you like destroyers, esp gunboat DD's, you might find one or both of those fun.   I have both, and have played a bunch of games in Siroco, and find it VERY fun, indeed.  Not an OP monster by any means- but it has a fun playstyle, and is quite effective at killing things, lol.   You'd also get the mission for 250 French DD tokens, and it comes with 2 permanent camos- inc the one they're giving out as a prize for completing step 3 of the French Directive.  (also has the reload booster you don't get in the free ships until tier 6.)

Some other cheap but fun premiums in your tier range are:

Huang He. 

Exeter

West Virginia 41.  The AA blows,  but 16" rifles at tier 6?  Yee Ha!!   It'd also give you a leg up for when you reach Colorado- same ship, essentially- as you'd already know how to play it.