You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Lexington at T10 - Doing My Part

11 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,878 posts
17,915 battles

It's tough being bottom tier.  Some say it's even tougher in a CV.  I disagree.  Sure, the AA can be crushing.  But there are opportunities.  Things you can do. Things to contribute.  I didn't carry.  But I did my job.  Played smart (mostly).  Did my part.  I post this clip also to show the wide variance in the type of AA you will find yourself against.  You'll see me press good attacks on some ships and in one particular case see an entire squadron evaporate before a strike.  

1.  Notice I complete an early backside sweep of all three caps....right to left...punctuated by forcing a DD to go smoke...and also getting in one rocket attack.  Also note the withering AA...even as I run away each time...as I make the cap sweeps!  But that's OK...the objective early is to give the team a lay of the enemy distribution.  The DD find at the end was a bonus.

2. Then it's all about avoiding strong AA bubbles...going for the fringe ships...while also re-positioning a bit forward, but behind some beefy friendlies.  You often only get one run at T10...so being closer allows you to bring another squadron rapidly into the fight.   Provided you don't get deplaned.

3.  Toward the end, there is a great example of teamwork between squadron and CA to nail a DD. I asked where the DD was located, and a CA keyed the squares.  I ran to that location...picked up a detect...ran to the detect perimeter and spotted the DD.   Got two runs on him, forced smoke, and the CA got some hits in.  Ran a SBD the next time, spotted him, got one drop, and the CA got a detonation.   Game was won by that point, but it's a great example of teamwork in general.

Overall, I was very pleased with the outcome.  Granted, I had a good team.  But we all worked well together.  I finished number 5 on the scoreboard with my squadrons right on the margin at the end game.  This shows you can indeed do well at T8 bottom tiered in a CV.  And a call out (and karma) to our T8 CA that topped out.

• Cool 2

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

I think what I like about being uptiered is the unique challenges that give an awesome feeling when you overcome them. Had two uptiered games last night in my Enterprise and in both games I managed to be in the top 3 (1st place in game 1 and 3rd place in game 2). I support the message you are spreading on the forums :Smile_honoring:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,413 posts
14,163 battles
1 hour ago, 10T0nHammer said:

I think what I like about being uptiered is the unique challenges that give an awesome feeling when you overcome them. Had two uptiered games last night in my Enterprise and in both games I managed to be in the top 3 (1st place in game 1 and 3rd place in game 2). I support the message you are spreading on the forums :Smile_honoring:

True but with the current situation for more average players it is a struggle to accomplish anything in a tier 10 match period what with pop up death stars that don't render until you are well inside their AA bubble and everything else being dangerous to be near. I pretty much stopped Random CV play in my tier 8's and 10's because of that. The next patch may help with AA being toned down from the current over powered and broken situation, I got 20(!) plane kills in my October Revolution last night.

[CAST]
Members
4,987 posts
3,513 battles

By the way, did you guys notice that Lexington is not getting any plane buffs in the upcoming patch ... but Shokaku is? Is Lexington supposed to be OP for her tier or something? I haven't gotten to her yet as I'm just at Ranger right now.

EDIT: Looks like Implacable is also not getting any buffs.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

Members
1,872 posts
24 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

By the way, did you guys notice that Lexington is not getting any plane buffs in the upcoming patch ... but Shokaku is? Is Lexington supposed to be OP for her tier or something? I haven't gotten to her yet as I'm just at Ranger right now.

Where'd you find this info? Got a link perhaps?

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles
29 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Wonder why they are not touching the premiums either?

[CAST]
Members
4,987 posts
3,513 battles

Could be maybe they are testing certain boats at a time? I'm not accessing the PTS, so I don't know.

Members
1,872 posts
9 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Thanks for the link. I missed that dev-blog. Never saw it before.

It's good they're increasing the squadron size of some carriers. But what made me wonder was the statement below that said "we fixed a bug regarding AA damage calculation" ... or something to that effect. Is this supposed bug on the Test Server only? Or the regular server I wonder. Both maybe?

Edit: Ok sounds like its PTS only.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,438 posts
6,489 battles
1 hour ago, 10T0nHammer said:

Wonder why they are not touching the premiums either?

Premiums aren't readily available on all PST accts...   If they like what they see i'm sure they will visit those as well.