Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

A change to Co-op I never saw announced

39 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
11,824 posts
24,479 battles

So something has been sort of on my mind lately about the bots and a suspected change to them. I am not sure exactly when it happened but after going back through a few saved screenshots and checking I was able to confirm this change. It seems to have been done this year and I am going to try and narrow down the approx. time frame by looking at more screenshots and comparing dates. Will post what I find.

The bots now run the upgraded hulls at the least. In the past the bots were all stock. But now they are at least running the top hull as stated. This means more HP for us to farm which is great but it also means they are harder to kill now so watch out LOL. I do not know if they run the top GFCS, Torps, Engine, etc... but be prepared for it. This might explain some of these torps from nowhere people are seeing lately. IF the bots have the longer range ones it might explain why torps show up you aren't expecting?

I wonder what other changes have been made we haven't been told about? 

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,575 posts
8,553 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So something has been sort of on my mind lately about the bots and a suspected change to them. I am not sure exactly when it happened but after going back through a few saved screenshots and checking I was able to confirm this change. It seems to have been done this year and I am going to try and narrow down the approx. time frame by looking at more screenshots and comparing dates. Will post what I find.

The bots now run the upgraded hulls at the least. In the past the bots were all stock. But now they are at least running the top hull as stated. This means more HP for us to farm which is great but it also means they are harder to kill now so watch out LOL. I do not know if they run the top GFCS, Torps, Engine, etc... but be prepared for it. This might explain some of these torps from nowhere people are seeing lately. IF the bots have the longer range ones it might explain why torps show up you aren't expecting?

I noticed this the other day in my Yorck.  It may have been going a long time.  I think I first noticed it when I was playing the Phoenix, and that was before the first of the year.

Members
890 posts
14,048 battles

12 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

This means more HP for us to farm which is great

The more HPs to farm is not the blessing you think. You get XP based on % of the ship's total not on the raw numbers.

Doing more damage just means they take longer to kill and more of a potential that some derper on your team will go broadside.

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
1,372 posts
14,317 battles
2 minutes ago, Versili said:

Hmmm RDF maybe . Interesting .

The bots have had RDF (or RPF if you like) for a long time.  

[PVE]
Members
11,824 posts
24,479 battles

Ok, so in going back and checking screenshots I have saved the change appears to have happened in January of this year. Most likely with the update at the end of the month as I have Feb games results where the bots have the extra HP and in the early to mid Jan game results the bots are all showing stock HP.

So it has been there since the 1st of the year.

• Boring 1

[TBW]
Members
10,283 posts
17,482 battles

I thought that they used to mirror the human ships except for Camos. A short time ago they made it so other ships could be implemented instead of an exact mirror of the human team.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,656 battles

It probably happened when they changed MM to not be a perfect mirror.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,643 posts
34,902 battles
1 hour ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Long before we even knew what it was.

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I thought that they used to mirror the human ships except for Camos. A short time ago they made it so other ships could be implemented instead of an exact mirror of the human team.

Yes, they did used to mirror coop MM to perfectly mirror the player's ships.  But people were requesting that they make coop more interesting by randomizing the bot team's ships so that they weren't a perfect mirror.  I wish that they'd go a bit further, because the MM only seems to randomize the ship choices a little bit.  I'd like to see them go whole hog and randomize ship choices for the bot team more aggressively.  But at least some randomization was a good start.

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
10,283 posts
17,482 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Yes, they did used to mirror coop MM to perfectly mirror the player's ships.  But people were requesting that they make coop more interesting by randomizing the bot team's ships so that they weren't a perfect mirror.  I wish that they'd go a bit further, because the MM only seems to randomize the ship choices a little bit.  I'd like to see them go whole hog and randomize ship choices for the bot team more aggressively.  But at least some randomization was a good start.

I second this.

[PVE]
Members
11,824 posts
24,479 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The mirrored ship was just the ship. Was always stock hull. It didn't match your upgrades.

1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

It used to be random whether they had a stock hull or upgraded hull for a long time.

I have been here since 2016 and the bots always had stock ships. This is new (since I started playing), verified by my screenshots, starting Jan/Feb this year. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
552 posts
10,276 battles
3 hours ago, Prothall said:

The more HPs to farm is not the blessing you think. You get XP based on % of the ship's total not on the raw numbers.

Doing more damage just means they take longer to kill and more of a potential that some derper on your team will go broadside.

I'd say that is a good thing. Voluntary meat-shield taking himself out of the xp-pool ;P

[PVE]
Members
1,441 posts
39,283 battles
3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I think it has been like this for a long time.

When I was playing the IJN T5 { not going to try and spell it} cruiser a lot some games it would be the 3 by 2 setup and some games it would be the 6 by 1 setup.

[HINON]
Members
13,253 posts
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The mirrored ship was just the ship. Was always stock hull. It didn't match your upgrades.

I have been here since 2016 and the bots always had stock ships. This is new (since I started playing), verified by my screenshots, starting Jan/Feb this year. 

I dont believe so as in the past on the loading screen they would have stock hull numbers initially but as you hovered over the ship some would change as they received the hull upgrade.

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
990 posts
4 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Yeah was joking around . Actually they have magic hydro at 15 km and the occasional I sunk the ship yet full salvo of torps appears ten seconds after you sink one at 3 km. ...lol

WG you so silly . :Smile-_tongue:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,067 posts
14,307 battles
12 minutes ago, Versili said:

Yeah was joking around . Actually they have magic hydro at 15 km and the occasional I sunk the ship yet full salvo of torps appears ten seconds after you sink one at 3 km. ...lol

WG you so silly . :Smile-_tongue:

They have magic hydro at ALL distances from the instant you launch, they know (as we do not) exactly which torpedoes you are using and thereore how much to turn and change speed in order to dodge, and they implement it without significant delay.

Meanwhile, yes, those magical torpedo broadsides that could not possibly have been launched before the bot exploded still defy reasonable explanation. :fish_haloween:

• Funny 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,386 posts
16,187 battles
5 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

And I am wondering if the bot planes have it. They seem uncannily adept at finding DDs. Turning to intercept long before the DD should be visible. Might have it for the same reason: without it the bot ships/planes would go cruising off in random directions and you would spend the whole game chasing them down.

[CVA16]
Members
5,386 posts
16,187 battles
1 hour ago, Versili said:

Actually they have magic hydro at 15 km and the occasional I sunk the ship yet full salvo of torps appears ten seconds after you sink one at 3 km. ...lol

The bots have very dedicated  (i.e. suicidal) crews. The will charge into stupidly hopeless situations and apparently they remain by their posts at the torpedo stations even after the abandon ship alarm is sounded.:cap_haloween:

[WOLFG]
Members
9,575 posts
8,553 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

And I am wondering if the bot planes have it. They seem uncannily adept at finding DDs. Turning to intercept long before the DD should be visible. Might have it for the same reason: without it the bot ships/planes would go cruising off in random directions and you would spend the whole game chasing them down.

From what I saw today, yes.  I am spotted by aircraft(in a Graff Spee), DD is not.

Planes went right for the DD.

[VOP]
Members
523 posts
8,944 battles

From what I have seen over the years since 2015 is that the ships in most cases were fully upgraded ships. You could be running a new ship with no upgrades however they were fully upgraded most of the times. My CV mate has noticed that when he played CV's before the rework, the bot CV's would have different load outs than he had. Back in the day you could look at the bot ships in the tab screen and see the upgrades on them. 

I also remember when a ship was coming around an island you saw the bow of the ship as it came around the island. Now you do not see the full ship until it fully passes the entire island. It appears briefly then goes away then reappears once it is fully out of the smoke or from behind the island.

One additional thing I have noticed about the bots is that they like torping behind themselves now to get you as you pass them...and the bots still torp out of the standard arcs even while you are in detection range.

Things have been being changed all along. Which is really sad because it makes me trust less. It is their game for good or bad but their decision making of late needs a rework.

Members
55 posts
6,023 battles

Interesting info. Wouldn't have guessed it had been in effect as far back as a year ago. It does explain some things though, such as the seeming increase in the number of games with far more humans being sunk.

On a possibly related side note; I keep an informal game journal and one metric is a plus or minus for gaming experience...ie enjoyment. Before the beginning of June this was pretty much a 50/50 split between good and bad days, but since June 1 the negative days far outweigh the positive days. It is becoming more difficult to find a reason to keep playing, especially as I consider myself a very casual player. I have been wondering if other people would say they are also finding the game less "fun".

• Cool 1

[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles
6 minutes ago, Dakota_Red said:

On a possibly related side note; I keep an informal game journal and one metric is a plus or minus for gaming experience...ie enjoyment. Before the beginning of June this was pretty much a 50/50 split between good and bad days, but since June 1 the negative days far outweigh the positive days. It is becoming more difficult to find a reason to keep playing, especially as I consider myself a very casual player. I have been wondering if other people would say they are also finding the game less "fun".

The game itself is still enjoyable to me, our mode (PVE) has grown larger due to many PVP mains joining in to either avoid CV's also some events and missions are just simpler and quicker in PVE, thus more players that are not quite as familiar with our mode as a most PVE mains.
I find if I'm having a bad day, it's either I'm so far off my game, and that can happen to anyone, or some other person is off their game and we're all having a bad time! :Smile_teethhappy:

Sign in to follow this