You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

13th Season Ranked Observations

72 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
4,152 posts
24,085 battles

Ships  I'ved seen played the most so far. Your experience may vary. I started at R11.

Kitakaze

Benham

Fletcher

Black

CA's:

Name a radar CA.

BB's

Georgia - lots of them

Mo

Musashi

Observations:

Not surprising about a secondary spec Georgia.  11.3 km secondaries as a DD deterrent. Plus being able to run down a dd, if you have to.

Been noting Benham struggling. She's a good ship, but she needs time to get into good launch positions. Which may not happen in a 6 vs 6 format.

Also Benham have problems in a gun duel with other DD's..

I normally place RPF when playing the Kita. I swapped IFHE instead this time. Works better. My damage output is higher now. There's not much difference of visibility values between DD's, so I don't miss RPF.

It is very nice to have to have competent team mates. Too bad, it can't happen all the time. 

Edit: Salt is also flowing freely. Had one red Benham player raging at me after I gunned him down.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
  • Cool 1

[E-GO]
Members
207 posts
7,120 battles

Jean Bart

Jean Bart

Jean Bart

Musashi and Georgia.

OTH, I had a pleasant experience playing Rank last night, hardly any salt, fun and engaging gameplay.

I quit on a high note when I reached rank 10, my last match I had 4 kills, 412 secondary hits, 196k damage, 2 CQCs, and a Dev Strike in my FDG!

More to come, hopefully!

Edited by CptRemy
  • Cool 1

[TF-60]
Members
431 posts
14,673 battles

The Benhams I have seen so far have really struggled. 

Surprised to see a couple of nuestrashimys

Ive surprisingly had the most success in my Fletcher

FDG saved me a couple of stars—

Soyuz has also been good to me 

got from 12 to 10 with 2 stars yesterday

it has been more fun once I got to rank 10

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,165 battles

I only played the Jean Bart started out winning 4 of 5 games then lost 5 in a row ugg . Jean Bart handled herself well in ranked I just didn't play smart .

[-K-]
Members
8,333 posts
14,112 battles

Lots of Alaskas and Kitakazes, as expected.

Going against the grain and running Z-46 and Jutland, with a 60% win rate up to R10 so far.  I find them to be much more versatile than Kitakaze, or even Black for that matter.

Running RPF over IFHE on Jutland, and hoping the improved AP helps out the anemic HE pen without it.

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,352 posts
20,042 battles

I am having problems so I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on the neuteredshimmy  I think it would be fun in this ranked battles but do I wait for the Somner's
 What to do what to do actually might be able  to get both if I do well in this ranked and clan season im settin around 30K right now with a coupon waiting

I've only played 2 games so far but the Jutland won both times 

Edited by silverdahc

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,277 battles
59 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Ships  I'ved seen played the most so far. Your experience may vary. I started at R11.

Kitakaze

Benham

Fletcher

Black

CA's:

Name a radar CA.

BB's

Georgia - lots of them

Mo

Musashi

Observations:

Not surprising about a secondary spec Georgia.  11.3 km secondaries as a DD deterrent. Plus being able to run down a dd, if you have to.

Been noting Benham struggling. She's a good ship, but she needs time to get into good launch positions. Which may not happen in a 6 vs 6 format.

I normally place RPF when playing the Kita. I swapped IFHE instead this time. Works better. My damage output is higher now. There's not much difference of visibility values between DD's, so I don't miss RPF.

It is very nice to have to have competent team mates. Too bad, it can't happen all the time. 

Edit: Salt is also flowing freely. Had one red Benham player raging at me after I gunned him down.

Hey Bill_Halsey,

Thanks for sharing your early season observations. Now, do you think these ships will change as the season goes along? What about the changing from league to league.

With most Ranked seasons, when you get into the 2-5 brackets, you see certain ships more and team compositions tend to change.

Which of these ships do you think you will see at a good rate the rest of the season?

[INTEL]
Members
3,052 posts
16,775 battles
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Kitakaze

Benham

Fletcher

Black

CA's:

Name a radar CA.

28 minutes ago, General_WTSherman said:

The Benhams I have seen so far have really struggled. 

This was the most interesting battle I was in yesterday.  Guess which side won.

unknown.png

[TOG]
Members
4,152 posts
24,085 battles
8 minutes ago, Kami said:

Hey Bill_Halsey,

Thanks for sharing your early season observations. Now, do you think these ships will change as the season goes along? What about the changing from league to league.

With most Ranked seasons, when you get into the 2-5 brackets, you see certain ships more and team compositions tend to change.

Which of these ships do you think you will see at a good rate the rest of the season?

My initial thinking was that Benham will be in use until R5. Given, it's struggling, might be  dropped off sooner. Still haven't seen the Soyuz, So I can see it used more often when R5 comes around. If there is a specific tm format what work, I'd like to know about it.

[INTEL]
Members
1,769 posts
15,679 battles

Only 3 matches so far but its gonna take real effort for anyone to exceed the salt output of the red Kitakaze player in my first match.

I found out I'm a smoke shooting coward and newb. He used two smokes to my zero. I got a First Blood kill on him, doing 17,780 with only guns. In Yugo.

My team was nothing but gaydar using cowards. 2v2 on radar.

He got so bad the red team was onto him for getting gunned down by a Yugo. SMDH

• Funny 3

Members
320 posts
13,077 battles
10 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Lots of Alaskas and Kitakazes, as expected.

Going against the grain and running Z-46 and Jutland, with a 60% win rate up to R10 so far.  I find them to be much more versatile than Kitakaze, or even Black for that matter.

Running RPF over IFHE on Jutland, and hoping the improved AP helps out the anemic HE pen without it.

Run RPF and IFHE! (and CE)

19-pt Jutland captain, IIRC it's either PT or PM, LS, SE, and CE for 10-pts, then RPF and IFHE for 16-pts, then AR and the other 1-pt skill for the full 19.

No second 3-pt skill is the tradeoff. But gives consistent HE pen (and why oh why they didn't just make the IJN Aki line and RN DD line both have a reasonable 1/5 HE pen is beyond me...), plus the info that RPF provides.

[SFOR]
Beta Testers
428 posts
9,613 battles
44 minutes ago, cheereereerios said:

Run RPF and IFHE! (and CE)

19-pt Jutland captain, IIRC it's either PT or PM, LS, SE, and CE for 10-pts, then RPF and IFHE for 16-pts, then AR and the other 1-pt skill for the full 19.

No second 3-pt skill is the tradeoff. But gives consistent HE pen (and why oh why they didn't just make the IJN Aki line and RN DD line both have a reasonable 1/5 HE pen is beyond me...), plus the info that RPF provides.

hmmm mythical 21 point captain! AR isn't possible with that build 2L1, 1L2, 1L3, 3L4, so LS likely as L2 skill (but some DD mavens can play well enough without it....)

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,420 posts
13,445 battles

I predicted the Benham issues in a thread I posted, she's the worst of the T9 DDs currently available.  The issue is her concealment and gun power, too visible and too weak for that concealment.

I'm pretty happy so far with Neustrashimy.  I've had a few games taking more than 40k damage and a million potential damage while I rain 11% fire chance shells all over. The repair and my dodging let's me go into radar hell and dig out DDs for my team for to shoot.  When it's done I have more HP than that DD.  

Not many have her, but I am finding her just as dominant as jutland, kitakaze, and out performing black.  When I need to save a star I have a 20 second repair party that will keep me alive long enough to derp rush ships with torps, sometimes I can do that a couple times in a game.

The real test is to come with the 5 bracket, but I like what I see so far.

• Cool 3

[-1]
Members
681 posts
9,908 battles

I tried Chung Mu but most of the time there is either no support or too many other DDs so torps are useless. Musashi does well when there are many BBs in queue. Jean Bart feels really good: it can chase and melt DDs and hold positions--truly versatile ship. These Benhams--after several matches I just hate them--almost always useless.

• Cool 1

Members
320 posts
13,077 battles
30 minutes ago, verkhne said:

hmmm mythical 21 point captain! AR isn't possible with that build 2L1, 1L2, 1L3, 3L4, so LS likely as L2 skill (but some DD mavens can play well enough without it....)

It's totally possible if you hate math and aren't quite sure about the whole "3 and 4 are different numbers" thing!

Yeahhhhhhh okay so maybe no AR  :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
4,255 posts
18,579 battles
11 hours ago, Kami said:

Hey Bill_Halsey,

So far, all losses.  Bart's doing nothing but nosing Islands and not moving.  It's commical to watch 4 BB's nosing an Island and shooting then moving back the whole match.  The Georgia CPT's are jealous of the Bart's and whine like mules......!   Benham's are way out of their "comfort zone' in gun fights and they "just can't get into a decent shooting position"; from what I have seen so far.  I stick to the Kitty but fighting just about solo all of the time is a losing position.....  Every one else is hiding......

I played less than a dozen matches and I'm done.  Seems to be all hiding and exchanging long range fire as everyone else dies....   They just won't and refuse to move. 

A terrible tier for ranked and the fastest exit from ranked for me.   Not value added losing all of the time. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles
4 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

I tried Chung Mu but most of the time there is either no support or too many other DDs so torps are useless. Musashi does well when there are many BBs in queue. Jean Bart feels really good: it can chase and melt DDs and hold positions--truly versatile ship. These Benhams--after several matches I just hate them--almost always useless.

I've played 2 battles thus far.  One with my Black and the other with my Benham.  Both wins.  I felt useful in both battles, though for different reasons.  The Black's torps just feel useless because they're sooo slow that they're hard to properly aim.  OTOH, while she doesn't have the damage output of the Jutland or Kitakaze, her guns are nice, and when working with another DD, her radar can be very nice against smoke shooting DDs who aren't near anything larger.

As for my Benham, I had a 3 kill game where I torped the heck out the enemy BB, killed a rather hurt Black that I wasn't aware of, and finished off an Alaska, along with a couple of caps.    I guess that I felt a little more in control of my fate with decent torps that had the speed to hit stuff.

As for the Chung Mu, DWTs are such a double edged sword.  Sure, they're great against enemy heavies with their low detection.  But it does stink to not have them to use for torping smoke or to get the occasional "accidental" DD kill (i.e. aiming at someone else, but ending up hitting an enemy DD of which you weren't aware), etc.  And having to give up smoke for radar is a pretty big sacrifice.  And yet, the Chung Mu is basically a Fletcher with DWTs, so it should be a pretty good DD overall.

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,231 battles

Played Kita and benham so far but found more success in the benham (73% wr). Found the ability to flood an area or cap with torps to be incredibly useful. Plan on using the benham more in the 5-1 bracket when it fills out in a few days. 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,168 battles

I was in one battle with 2 Blacks on the other side. It was brutal. OTOH I’ve also seen some poor players in Black. 

I like Benham in Randoms but not Ranked. 

Partial secondary spec JB is fun. So is Georgia. However, I’ve done best in Kitakaze when you count save-a-stars.  (Off to a bad start overall)

I haven’t tried Buffalo yet but may be headed that way. 

Members
1,092 posts

I got the Georgia yesterday and have taken out 4 times in ranked.

I put halsey as a 19 capt.

I set it up as a secondary build.

I have died every game with the highest damage score of 23k.

But it will not deter me from using it in ranked. i am at a point of safety and can not lose position.

If you see me on my other account {I won't name it} know I will eventually learn how to us it.

Beware of the crappy Georgia it might be me..... ROFLMAO

• Boring 1

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I've seen too few cruisers in a dozen games I'd played so far. Only in seven matches there were any cruisers at all, 5 others only had DDs and BBs. As expected - plenty of Kitakazes, Jutlands, few Fletchers and occasional Black or Z-46. So far I've been playing my Jutland and doing pretty well, the boat is solid as expected. Jutland should be fine to go all the way to R1 if I could be bothered with the grind.

Kitakazes are actually doing really well, arguably better than in Season 12 from what I'd seen so far. I think it has to do with few cruisers around so they can freely gunboat in the open without much fear of repercussions. 

Benhams seem to be struggling. I never liked them, they are one-trick pony and in ranked they suck a lot. They don't have the gunpower or concealment to mess with Kitas, Jutlands or Black/Fletcher and their torps are less effective what with lots of Jutland and some Z-46 around spotting for their teams.

Fletcher is pretty rubbish as expected too. She's been power-crept into oblivion.  Could be more competitive with CVs around. Then at least DefAA would be an advantage over some of competition.

[INTEL]
Members
13,054 posts
36,005 battles

4 battles, all Fletch. Top in three, won all four. Benham effect varies widely, competent captains can wreck in it. But most of my damage in Fletch is via guns to other DDs. DD play seems to determine game outcome pretty clearly.

Kitikazes need to be banned. That ship is blatantly, insanely OP. Introducing that level of HE spam to the game was very bad. Luckily so far none of the players I have faced in it were very good in it.

Had matches w/o radar, and one match was 5 DDs and a CA vs 5 DDs and a CA. That was a fun one, except for the idiotic Kitikaze. The devs really screwed up with that ship.

[SRMC]
Members
290 posts
12,179 battles

Same terrible crap same terrible MM same coddling of players that shouldnt happen and same save star garbage yea 2 days just like last season Im done thats my observation