You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
UraraShiraishi

Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft

12 comments in this topic

[MEOW]
[MEOW]
Members
235 posts
3,977 battles

Is it still relevant after half a year of AA changes? I have it activated on some BB captains that I am confident enough with that I don't really need Priority Target (Nagato and Scharnhorst actually)

Or should I go for Preventative Maintenance instead?

Members
3,679 posts
8,104 battles

Personally the Direction Center skill is only relevant for ships that attempts to use the spotter plane for scouting purposes, as the existing fighter consumable is already capable enough to wipe out entire carrier squadrons of the same tier and higher.

Just go for Preventative maintenance and or Priority target.

[SFF]
Members
21 posts
1,973 battles
5 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Personally the Direction Center skill is only relevant for ships that attempts to use the spotter plane for scouting purposes, as the existing fighter consumable is already capable enough to wipe out entire carrier squadrons of the same tier and higher.

Just go for Preventative maintenance and or Priority target.

Did they change the way scouting planes work recently. I remember scouting planes actually flying around the map and spotting instead of hovering over your vessel.

Members
3,679 posts
8,104 battles
3 hours ago, YamatosGhost said:

As far as I can remember, scout planes haven’t been changed since forever: they circle around the mothership in a wide circular pattern compared to fighters, and can be used to provide aerial spotting

[SFF]
Members
21 posts
1,973 battles
7 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

As far as I can remember, scout planes haven’t been changed since forever: they circle around the mothership in a wide circular pattern compared to fighters, and can be used to provide aerial spotting

More recently ive only seen them just barely circling. They never leave the short range AA bubble of the ship.

Members
3,679 posts
8,104 battles
8 hours ago, YamatosGhost said:

Is that so? I thought that's what fighters do instead of the spotters!

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,736 posts
4,630 battles
On 8/9/2019 at 1:05 AM, UraraShiraishi said:

Is it still relevant after half a year of AA changes?

It's got a different name now - Direction Center for Fighters.  Works on all fighters, catapult or CV.  Adds one to the number launched, which varies by ship.

I don't have it on any of my ships.  Might be best on CVs.  On BBs I'd take EL before PM, though I often forget I have it....

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,736 posts
4,630 battles
On 8/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, The_first_harbinger said:

They both circle.  Fighters have a tighter orbit 3.3km to a spotter's 4.3km.  Both spot. [Only spotter extends range.]

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aircraft#Automated_Aircraft

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

Members
761 posts
3,776 battles
15 hours ago, iDuckman said:

They both circle.  Fighters have a tighter orbit 3.3km to a spotter's 4.3km.  Both spot. [Only spotter extends range.]

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aircraft#Automated_Aircraft

I thought they disabled the spotting feature for the fighters a while ago?They don't seem to spot anymore from what I have been able to tell.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,736 posts
4,630 battles
51 minutes ago, BanditSE1977 said:

I thought they disabled the spotting feature for the fighters a while ago?They don't seem to spot anymore from what I have been able to tell.

AFAIK, they still spot ships and planes (obviously planes).  They no longer spot torpedoes.

If you can show differently, I'll gladly update the wiki.  Keeping up with all the recent changes has been tough.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

If you use the catapult fighter, the skill can be a worthwhile buff - moreso on lower tier ships than higher tier.

Since fighters each attempt to destroy one enemy plane each, by buffing the number of fighters by 1 also increases the potential kills by 1.  Vs low tier CVs this can be pretty huge.  2 planes downed instead of 3 is a fairly hefty blow to a T4 CV.  Losing 6 planes instead of 5 isn't that big of a difference for a T8 CV.  Not to mention once you get to the higher tiers, the CV captains have more or less learned to mitigate their losses.  If they're trying to strike through fighter cover it's not uncommon to see excess planes predropped, so once the attacking squad drops there's no more planes left to chase.  That, or they'll come in with minimal planes.  Since the fighters will aggro onto the main squad and not empty planes you may have your 4 person fighter squad chasing after 1 plane instead of the 4 that just dropped.

All of that is extremely rare to see in low/mid tiers however, and newer CV players will really feel the pain if they eat too many losses from catapult fighters.

• Cool 1

Members
761 posts
3,776 battles
On 8/11/2019 at 11:53 AM, iDuckman said:

AFAIK, they still spot ships and planes (obviously planes).  They no longer spot torpedoes.

If you can show differently, I'll gladly update the wiki.  Keeping up with all the recent changes has been tough.

Cool.It may have changed as you have said,I haven't kept up with a a lot of the changes either.