You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

SO I bought the Scharn... Couple of questions...

13 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,034 posts

The Shiny Horse is my first German ship.  I want to put my 10 pnt German commander that has been sitting in my reserve for months in her.  Can't really see how to do it.  I used to just click the Capt and I would see my entire line-up , but I don't see it... Maybe it's just late : )   EDIT..................... , I  found him!

Also what is the best set-up?  I got her to use in Ops.  Another monster to get Creds and XP with. 

Gonna be FUN!

Col Out

Edited by Col_Nasty

Members
3,074 posts
6,554 battles
7 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I want to put my 10 pnt German commander that has been sitting in my reserve for months in her.  Can't really see how to do it.  I used to just click the Capt and I would see my entire line-up , but I don't see it... Maybe it's just late : )  Also what is the best set-up?  I got her to use in Ops.  Another monster to get Creds and XP with. 

Gonna be FUN!

Col Out

I bought Shiny Horse when it was one of the Summer Sale specials with two random T7 ship boxes attached. I built it for secondaries and run it in Narai. It is not my best earner or highest scorer, though it is solid, but it is in the running for most fun...

Members
3,679 posts
8,104 battles

With only 10 points, it is the most viable in my opinion to build for survivability, particularly if you play to run your Scharn in a PvE environment. The build would include skills like Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline rush, Superintendent/HIgh alert (your choice), and Fire Prevention.

When transferring a captain in the reserves, make sure to select the list of captains "in reserves" instead of "on other ships". Good luck!

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,200 posts
9,333 battles
39 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Also what is the best set-up?

Meme secondary build is the only way to go. Pewpewpew!

You can start working on one even with only ten points. PT-AR-BFT-AFT. You can replace BFT with BoS or Vig if you want more survivability, or DE if you want a different flavor of pewpewpew.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,572 posts
15,619 battles

Congratulations! I have only won one ship from a SC the entire time I've been on WoW. Lo and behold, it was the Lucky Scharnhorst. She was out of my league when I first got her, WAY out of my league. I think I was T4 at the time? Anywho, she is now my most favorite premium and most favorite T7 bar none. She is a blast in Operations, Random, and Ranked. She carried me to victory both of the last two seasons of Ranked Sprint after getting stuck in the mud with the rest of my T7's.

Just my recommendations, 2ndary to the hilt. She is murder on DD's who drift to close or pop up out from behind islands unexpected. She bullies cruisers, can trade jabs with other BB's from a distance, mid, or up close. BB's who get to close can make the fatal mistake of wanting to sail by you exchanging broadsides as you launch three torpedos at point blank range into their ribs. Sealing the deal.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

Members
78 posts
3,349 battles

Shinyhorse is a fun ship. Along with Tirpitz and Gniesenau , they're probably the only three ships that can comfortably make it out of a 3v1 brawl alive. 

Set manual secondaries on the cruiser or dd and push into two BBs and let your torps do the work. As long as you don't show your side to them you won't take much damage or get your torps knocked out. 

Very fun ship to play. I use my 19p GK captain in mine, part secondary (no bft, just aft + mfsec) , part survivability build. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,609 posts
9,428 battles

I’ve found that Scharnhorst is one of those ships that can work with just about any build; it’s part of what makes her such a great captain trainer, especially for German BB and CA captains. She’s a strong ship and I ranked out with her in one of the recent ranked sprint seasons.

This is my 19pt secondary/survivability KM BB captain build that I’ve found works well on Scharnhorst: PT, AR, SI, AFT, MFCSA, FP, and PM, in that order. For upgrades, I run MAM1, DCSM1, ASM1, and DCSM2. You can use the secondary upgrades in slots 1 and 3, but Scharnhorst and Gneissenau have less secondary range than the tier 8-10 BBs, so I find buffing the main battery to be more helpful, but YMMV.

Tier 8 is where KM BB secondary builds really start to shine (although IFHE Gneissenau can be very effective up close - all those 128s can pen 32mm) so if you have no interest in working on the line anytime soon a main battery/survivability build is also a viable option. PT, AR, SI, and FP for 10 pts, with CE, BoS, High Alert, PM (you’ll lose your torp tubes A LOT), and Vigilance being strong options after that. I’ve also played around with EL on Scharnhorst (I use it on my KM CA captains) and have found it works well with the main battery performance. The 283mm AP can struggle against angled BBs and CAs, especially when bottom tier, so the ability to quickly switch between HE and AP (10 seconds) is nice. In randoms, I play Scharnhorst as more of a very tanky cruiser when bottom tier due to the peculiarities of the main armament.

[4HIM]
Members
3,013 posts
12,525 battles

As Nevermore said, the Shiny will work with almost any build.  I've even used a DD captain in it and it worked.  

And flagged up in an Op, especially if in a division, you can earn a lot of CXP for your captain.  

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
6 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

The Shiny Horse is my first German ship.  I want to put my 10 pnt German commander that has been sitting in my reserve for months in her.  Can't really see how to do it.  I used to just click the Capt and I would see my entire line-up , but I don't see it... Maybe it's just late : )   EDIT..................... , I  found him!

Also what is the best set-up?  I got her to use in Ops.  Another monster to get Creds and XP with. 

Gonna be FUN!

Col Out

Secondaries. 100%. All in.

In pvp the 8k secondaries shock and horrify dds... the torps and turtleback ream bbs... cruisers beg for citadels...

In pve the zerg AI just eats secondary fire and torps. Its like having a hindenburg at t7 with slightly less guns and torps.

You arent a stealth boat... you arent a kiter... youre a tanky brawling sailing into the midst of the enemy position slining death valhalla bound berserker. Give em hell. O7

[BSL]
Members
1,201 posts
20,858 battles
40 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

You arent a stealth boat... you arent a kiter... youre a tanky brawling sailing into the midst of the enemy position slining death valhalla bound berserker. Give em hell. O7

How do you really feel about her?

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
8 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

How do you really feel about her?

Scharnhorst is more shiny than a certain hat. Scharnhorst is also a snappy dresser. Scharnhorst is best boi. I also misspelled "slinging" in my previous post apparently. For which i will blame CVs because: reasons. :Smile_hiding:

[REVY]
Members
2,273 posts
12,190 battles

source.gif

She is a fun ship. When handled right, she can reward you.

As for build, I don't really have a fixed captain for her. As I also have the Gneisenau and Tirpitz,  The Gneisenau's captain spent time in all three to become a 19pt.

Something to consider in your build is the torps. While you shouldn't specifically rely on them DD style, you shouldn't forget they are there. Alot of people get close in and forget she has them.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,430 posts
6,475 battles

Secondary build and get in close..  Torps are crushing weapon to nearbys and her Citadels are annoyingly hard to find for nearby enemy BBs at tight quarters.. truly a fun ship to play.   ...