You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Selfish DD play

21 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
459 posts
20,362 battles

I've had a bad day playing the game so it's time for a rant.

Several times today I've had DDs on my team that would not engage CAs or other DDs, rather they positioned to take out BBs.  In the last battle I played I was isolated from the rest of the team but decided to YOLO the cap in my Iowa anyway.  A friendly DD came over from the cap next to me and I did appreciate the support.  Of course, his presence brought in an enemy DD along with the red Iowa.  Rather than engage the DD, he ducked behind the island allowing red DD to pew-pew-pew me, launch torps that I had to dodge, and have me take damage from the Iowa since I was shooting at the DD.  Our friendly DD then goes on the side of the Iowa away for the guns focused on me and torps him for a kill.  Did he come back to help me with the enemy DD?  No!  He took off across the map to attempt to torp another BB.  I killed the enemy DD, but really wanted to take a shot at the friendly one instead.

I almost never give negative Karma, but I did after that game and will continue to do so in the future for that selfish play style.  I play DDs too, and I focus on supporting the team by focusing on the red DDs and CAs early in the battle.  If there are BBs left towards the end, I take great pleasure in a YOLO torp run on one (or more) of them.  But at least the BBs on my team had the whole game to do damage and gather XP to pay for their game.

End of rant.  I sure feel better now.

Edited by Joe_918145
Hit enter by mistake
  • Cool 4
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles

I dunno, but I probably did all of them in my Vauquelin. (well, except for the smoking up one).

Sorry.

Members
864 posts
5 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Several times today I've had DDs on my team that would not engage CAs or other DDs, rather they positioned to take out BBs.  In the last battle I played I was isolated from the rest of the team but decided to YOLO the cap in my Iowa anyway.  A friendly DD came over from the cap next to me and I did appreciate the support.  Of course, his presence brought in an enemy DD along with the red Iowa.  Rather than engage the DD, he ducked behind the island allowing red DD to pew-pew-pew me, launch torps that I had to dodge, and have me take damage from the Iowa since I was shooting at the DD.  Our friendly DD then goes on the side of the Iowa away for the guns focused on me and torps him for a kill.  Did he come back to help me with the enemy DD?  No!  He took off across the map to attempt to torp another BB.  I killed the enemy DD, but really wanted to take a shot at the friendly one instead.

I almost never give negative Karma, but I did after that game and will continue to do so in the future for that selfish play style.  I play DDs too, and I focus on supporting the team by focusing on the red DDs and CAs early in the battle.  If there are BBs left towards the end, I take great pleasure in a YOLO torp run on one (or more) of them.  But at least the BBs on my team had the whole game to do damage and gather XP to pay for their game.

There's been a bad bunch of nasty dd players in PVE for awhile now , torping from behind , grinding sides with my ship so I can't take a shot while their torps reload etc.  I shoot anyways now and lob torps in their direction if I have them , I'll take the pink , fed up with the nonsense . I enjoy playing DD's in Co-op too , it doesn't give me a license to play like a POS though as far as I'm concerned .

• Cool 2

[KOHAI]
Members
1,694 posts
5,549 battles
30 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

DD players have low hitpoints and no heal. Could he have played better, yes, but they are also far better alive and dead, and usually a selfish playstyle is better then being focused by the enemy and losing the DD. If he stayed in the cap, he would likely have died, as the Iowa/DD combination would very likely have killed him. Unlike you, he can very much die in two or three salvos, especially at that tier. Your DD playstyle is correct, at tier VI and below, where you can get away with a YOLO run, at high tiers things are so much different for CVs. There is nothing that the DD player did seriously wrong, besides launching torps in your direction, which seems careless rather then malevolent. I think you need to grind further up DDs, to tier 8 or 9, to see why they play that way, it's very different then your low tier experience.

• Confused 1

Members
890 posts
14,077 battles

was he a torpedo boat DD ? If so, he wouldn't want to tangle with the pew-pew DD, he would lose instantly.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles
8 minutes ago, Prothall said:

was he a torpedo boat DD ? If so, he wouldn't want to tangle with the pew-pew DD, he would lose instantly.

If he was spotted firing wasn't going to change that. It is amazing and scary how often I see an DD's refuse to use their guns when a target that is well within range is down to a couple thousand HP and they are spotted and being shot at.

[RLGN]
Members
14,330 posts
25,270 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

If he was spotted firing wasn't going to change that. It is amazing and scary how often I see an DD's refuse to use their guns when a target that is well within range is down to a couple thousand HP and they are spotted and being shot at.

Even would shoot in Mutsuki in that case. Her guns are lubed with sand and molasses, but that’s still more reliable instant damage than trying to use torps that have to travel, and might miss.

[WORX]
Members
10,759 posts
18,591 battles

Without knowing what  DD ships or the fleet make up before the battle.

Going to face a cruiser or a DD as a DD is ill-advised.

IF I was a DD in a high tiered match, I would let the OP/over-capable BBs sink the DD...

DD vs DD knife fights are low tier game play... High DD play, if not a gun DD, are reduced to spotting until all the BBs eliminate the threats for us.

Members
890 posts
14,077 battles
40 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

He had also just unloaded his torps on the Iowa. As said above. DDs need to survive to be useful. I'd have to see a replay to make final judgement, but a torp boat that just unloaded is just asking to get lit up for little or no gain if they try to slug it out.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles

You chose to play a ship that needs help to defend itself from other ships, and yet this is someone else's fault, the friendly DD player. Interesting!

[DBRIS]
Members
630 posts
11,168 battles

This week I have been yelled at for not spotting enough, hiding in smoke setting up torp shots instead of getting killed in the 1st 2 minutes, decided 'F it', wiped out 6 of 8 bots, then get yelled at for being a non team player. It's co-op, not random. I have set smoke for others, helped out if other bote is in actual trouble, done plenty of spotting,  never a word of thx's. Playing DD is 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,747 battles

So you decided to Yolo.....

In an Iowa.....

An isolated Iowa is a dead Iowa....

If I had been that friendly sestroyer, I would have left you to your fate...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
459 posts
20,362 battles
2 hours ago, Prothall said:

The ship was a Magador.  'Nuff said.

[WOLFC]
Members
223 posts
9,238 battles
5 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Of course, his presence brought in an enemy DD along with the red Iowa.  Rather than engage the DD, he ducked behind the island allowing red DD to pew-pew-pew me, launch torps that I had to dodge, and have me take damage from the Iowa since I was shooting at the DD. 

I love when friendly DD's in co op run away or are sunk early. That means tons more XP for me when I sink those bot DD's. I always shoot DD's first no matter what ship I am in. Bot DD's are relatively easy to figure out so you can dodge the torps. Angle to the bigger guns, use heals and damage control for the big gun hits. Set secondaries on that DD, hit them with main guns and rack up the XP  lol. Sometimes with a ram flag you can just run over low health bot DD's like a bug on a wind shield. Yes some people are turds even in co op. 

• Cool 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
459 posts
20,362 battles
10 hours ago, Umikami said:

You chose to play a ship that needs help to defend itself from other ships, and yet this is someone else's fault, the friendly DD player. Interesting!

I have read many of your posts, Umikami, and have a lot of respect for you.  What you said about my choice to go the the cap alone after I was spawned in front of it is spot on.  In a co-op battle with 4 DDs on your team sometimes you have to be overly aggressive in a BB or you do not have time to do any damage.  I'm sure you know that.

If the same two ships had appeared without the friendly DD I would have thought I deserved my fate.  But that's not the way it happened.

I watched the replay several times this morning.  The Magador that came over to my cap intentionally used an island to protect himself from the red DD and then sailed broadside to the enemy Iowa on the side away from the guns which were facing me.  His division mates / clan mates used the same technique on B cap and got a friendly Minotaur killed by doing so.

I'll not post the replay as I do not want to shame another player, but I got mad all over again watching it this morning.

It's time to let this one go and move on to having fun in Naval Battle.  :Smile_izmena:

[CO-OP]
Members
1,500 posts
24,782 battles

'Tactic' I've seen a number of times in the past week is for the DD to remain stationary at the start of the game, I've checked them out they are connected, guns are moving. They're waiting for the CAs to do the spotting and take the damage so that they can then do the rush and take the kills. I play DD and TBH this ploy really does nothing apart from piss everybody off. The other increasingly common move is for a DD to shadow a CA or BB remaining to their rear, irritating as hell. Or indeed to just out and out hide behind an island until ships are spotted and their torps are loaded, gah! Do your job, spot get in cap, take/occupy cap and kill/damage as much as you can.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
1 hour ago, Efros said:

'Tactic' I've seen a number of times in the past week is for the DD to remain stationary at the start of the game, I've checked them out they are connected, guns are moving. They're waiting for the CAs to do the spotting and take the damage so that they can then do the rush and take the kills. I play DD and TBH this ploy really does nothing apart from piss everybody off. The other increasingly common move is for a DD to shadow a CA or BB remaining to their rear, irritating as hell. Or indeed to just out and out hide behind an island until ships are spotted and their torps are loaded, gah! Do your job, spot get in cap, take/occupy cap and kill/damage as much as you can.

That tactic isn't new.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,500 posts
24,782 battles

Not saying it is, just that I'm seeing a lot more of it. Just had a game where I told a Mahan to "come spot with me and not to be shy" as he sitting there stationary at spawn while I'm five km ahead of him in my Flint. He ended up with no kills, a cap share and minimal damage, wound up second last, I had 1 solo, 1 share cap, 3 kills and 80k damage. As a tactic it is of limited value in my opinion.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,612 posts
14,667 battles

I mean... it's Coop. You are competing against the rest of your team for XP.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
26 minutes ago, Efros said:

Not saying it is, just that I'm seeing a lot more of it. Just had a game where I told a Mahan to "come spot with me and not to be shy" as he sitting there stationary at spawn while I'm five km ahead of him in my Flint. He ended up with no kills, a cap share and minimal damage, wound up second last, I had 1 solo, 1 share cap, 3 kills and 80k damage. As a tactic it is of limited value in my opinion.

Oh it isn't the best tactic.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
4 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

It's time to let this one go and move on to having fun in Naval Battle.

Didn't Sun Tsu say something about the wisest warriors picking their battles? Kudos, and respect!