Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ylca

Concept: If you don't use chat you're at step one towards a loss.

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,062 posts
1,239 battles

Spent a lot of time formatting my other thread to no response so i'll just keep this one short.

We spend a lot of time talking about teamwork in mechanics in the game and what Wargaming could alter and tweak, and i love the most of the discussions we've had.

One discussion we need to have is on our responsibility as gamers to make our own play experience better.

In 90% of my matches i am the only one attempting to give warnings on the minimap, in 5% chat is useless due to a toxic player manipulation, and in a pitiful 5% is games where even one (i dare not dream of more) teammate attempts to coordinate and respond to my chat.

With as large as the maps are and as slow as ships can be there should be constant communication between teammates and a lot of informational relay (especially from CV pilots who by default get to view the map most of the match while being fully effective).

We have a tool for increasing teamwork by leaps and bounds, why are we not using it?

edit:

As an edit note I have a question and i don't want this to seem insulting at all because it's not intended that way.

Is touch typing less common than it was in the past? Do they still teach touch typing in schools, or is it going the way of cursive? A thought that popped into my head is that with the advances in tech and proliferation of auto-correct and voice to text perhaps people simply cannot type at the speeds necessary to convey their thoughts in a reasonable time frame?

Edited by Ylca
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
7 posts
399 battles

I think it's because if people spoke their minds and tried to be helpful, people like the OP in the other thread I commented in would get upset and come to the forums. I type a lot, some helpful and some toxic but what I have seen is there are a lot of players who will yolo tomato rush in and could care less about what you or anyone says. Doesn't matter how good or bad you are, people have a tendency to not care what you are saying and could care any less about saying anything themselves. 

Beta Testers
177 posts
711 battles

Even though I haven't had a chance to play the game, I hope you don't mind if I throw my hat into this ring.

I agree!  Wholeheartedly!  Communication is the key to victory.  Someone once said "The most dangerous weapon is a man with a radio."  That being said, I would love to see less bile and bickering in the chats and more helpful information being passed and (gasp!) maybe some words of encouragement.  Momma always said "If you cant say something nice, keep your dang mouth shut or I will bash your brains out with a brick!!!"  (mom had anger management issues and a bit of a drinking problem.)

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
2,071 battles

The only thing I ever see in chat is poi, poi, poi and more poi.

Coming over from WoT, I am disinclined to use chat because suggestions are usually met with insults and other assorted bullcrap.  I communicate with the members of my division via teamspeak and hope that the rest of my team has more collective brainpower than a bowl of oatmeal.

Beta Testers
29 posts
80 battles

A lot of the problem with the chat is the "poi" people who think its a place for them to make jokes. IMO that is just as "toxic" to good team communication as people insulting one another in that both "poi" and insults result in people not using/ignoring the chat.

Beta Testers
1,062 posts
1,239 battles

The only thing I ever see in chat is poi, poi, poi and more poi.

Coming over from WoT, I am disinclined to use chat because suggestions are usually met with insults and other assorted bullcrap.  I communicate with the members of my division via teamspeak and hope that the rest of my team has more collective brainpower than a bowl of oatmeal.

Isn't this a part of the problem, though? Even if they were Rhodes Scholar's if you and your division choose to isolate yourselves they can't communicate telepathically.

I understand the hesitation to use chat very well though, hence why i wanted to start this discussion.

If ever there was a time to change the perception of a function it's now, in closed beta.

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
2,071 battles

Isn't this a part of the problem, though? Even if they were Rhodes Scholar's if you and your division choose to isolate yourselves they can't communicate telepathically.

I understand the hesitation to use chat very well though, hence why i wanted to start this discussion.

If ever there was a time to change the perception of a function it's now, in closed beta.

Call me jaded, but after more than a decade of online gaming I never expect support from anyone with whom I'm not on voice comms.  Once CBT ends and the gates are opened to any eight year old with an internet connection, it's going to be just like every other game with integrated chat.

It would be great if we could rise above that, but at this point I set the bar of expectation only a few millimiters above the ground.

Beta Testers
62 posts
9,703 battles

By the way,  they DO still teach it - but they call it keyboarding.  I'm currently fighting with my 13 year old who is adamant he doesn't need it because he can type fast (with small cheating looks every now and then) - while he is 'ok'  -  me from old skool and 'the quick brown fox" school,   well I can and do type.

They need to make it mandatory - it's optional now and most kids aren't taking it.  I'm being a mean/bad dad and forcing him to.

FYI

Peace.

G

Beta Testers
798 posts
1,139 battles

I use the chat, but load in close to the end of the timer there is no "pre-load" chat to read while tactics are being discussed.

If I load in soon enough i get a head's up and know what they are doing. Otherwise, i just watch the minimap and go from there if no one is chatting

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

Unfortunately a lot of the time someone is giving instruction in chat they are rather clueless, or they could be screaming it in chat like a small child.  And something I have noticed is that most people would rather fail than be told what to do.  If someone says go right then 2/3 of the team will go left.  Usually the only effective means is to point out a need or an issue in very neutral terms, then it will most readily responded to.  For example

Can someone help me with C?  Not Head to A and C guys

Guys our CV is about to get nailed.  Not Hey you James that DD near the middle go help that CV

Guys we are going to be capped here.  Not hey you guys chasing the CV, you just cost us the match.

People have to understand and realize the problems and solutions, it's really the only way.

Some I think many, read chat however bad spam makes that hard and very few respond but they are there.  My GF hates it when I type to much in a match, she can't stand the sound of the keys clacking.  So in evenings, I pretty much shut up.  It saves on Domestic Abuse.

Edit: Oh and typing is essential all children should study it  I took it in Jr. High and High School. This was before the PC age it really helped in College and forever.  Hell I think in type at times

Edited by Moksie
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,062 posts
1,239 battles

By the way,  they DO still teach it - but they call it keyboarding.  I'm currently fighting with my 13 year old who is adamant he doesn't need it because he can type fast (with small cheating looks every now and then) - while he is 'ok'  -  me from old skool and 'the quick brown fox" school,   well I can and do type.

They need to make it mandatory - it's optional now and most kids aren't taking it.  I'm being a mean/bad dad and forcing him to.

FYI

Peace.

G

Legit. Mavis Beacon was a harsh mistress, but i can type fast enough to drive a vehicle between messages in other games while playing so i <3 her forever.

As for the people noting that they are jaded, believe me i understand that sentiment.

What i'm asking is, are we willing, as a community of beta testers, to put in effort to try to change this closed environment we've been given?

Perhaps it is right that it will all go out the window when OBT shows up, but there's a long road till then and we still have a grand opportunity here!

If anything, I hate to quit before i try so if all of you are in agreement that chat is worthless- well i guess i'll still be coordinating fighter groups, pointing out that destroyer that flashed into and out of existence for a second, and doing my darndest to show that one person can make a difference if they give a full, old school college try to help the team.

I hope others will try to join me.

Sign in to follow this