You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tzarevitch

How are people doing with the French DDs.

41 comments in this topic

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,749 battles

Just wondering how people doing with the French DDs so far? I wasn't expecting to like them but I am really loving them. I am not missing smoke at all.  I had my first 6 kill game last night in Le Fantasque with nearly 200k damage and I've been regularly able to get 70-80k games particularly with Le Terrible and Le Fantasque (I don't have Mogador). I'm pretty sure that is the best overall game I ever played (unfortunately we lost).  It's fun watching people flail around with their shells trying to hit you as you dart between the islands. It is also fun chasing enemy DDs into their own smoke and killing them and watching BBs try to turn their turrets to go after you. CVs are definite nightmares but even they have to lead the target more than usual to hit you which gives you some time to dodge. I also love how fast they can reposition themselves across the map to boost a collapsing flank. 

The T5 and T6 are ok at best. Their gun alpha is high but reload is slow. Base speed is also rather slow and the T5 as I recall doesn't have the reload booster either. 

Overall the high detection gets mitigated a lot by speed for the T8s and up. You can see them about 1k further away than they can see you but in practice human reaction times aren't quick enough to take advantage of it. By the time they realized they spotted you and notice where you are and draw a bead on you, you are usually close enough to spot them as well. The early saturation of the midsection HP reserve also gives them a lot of survivability. 

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,379 posts
20,047 battles

They're OK definitely working natural cover more. I only have the T5 and just got  T6 but they have been OK nothing fantastic but they're OK

[PVE]
Members
1,032 posts
8,584 battles

Not really a DD player so I am keeping it to Coop but the T6 is working out okay for me. Open water didn't work, not a surprise on a T6 ship, but using cover and doing torp ambushes is working well. The reload booster is nice.

The T5 was meh

[PVE]
Members
4,274 posts
18,658 battles

Just finished phase three of the event and played the Tier 7 DD for the four multi-nation sections.  Took 39 COOP battles for the 3 million.  The Tier 7 is an interesting DD.  So far, it's "unique" in that it is tanky and the RLB makes short work of other DD's that come to play.  Torps are 8K and that is a nice benefit with reasonable re-load times.  I made it work for the event.  Would I take it in Randoms: no.  Will I keep it: yes, for scenarios or other events in the future.

[SALVO]
Members
24,834 posts
25,917 battles
14 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

Not really a DD player so I am keeping it to Coop but the T6 is working out okay for me. Open water didn't work, not a surprise on a T6 ship, but using cover and doing torp ambushes is working well. The reload booster is nice.

The T5 was meh

From my experience, you can do some open water work with the French DDs, but I wouldn't really suggest spending minutes on end doing it.  It's better to wait until you have some enemy BB whose guns are aimed in another direction and maybe any nearby friends of his are otherwise occupied, and then fire off a few volleys to try to start a fire and get a little damage, before going guns silent and going dark.

[KILL]
Members
948 posts
10,978 battles

I'm am definitely not a dd player but i had some fun and good games in the tier 5 and 6 french ships.   Shells get to their target fast and accurate and pack a punch all you want from a pew pew dd.   But they also have useable torps.

[SALVO]
Members
24,834 posts
25,917 battles
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Just finished phase three of the event and played the Tier 7 DD for the four multi-nation sections.  Took 39 COOP battles for the 3 million.  The Tier 7 is an interesting DD.  So far, it's "unique" in that it is tanky and the RLB makes short work of other DD's that come to play.  Torps are 8K and that is a nice benefit with reasonable re-load times.  I made it work for the event.  Would I take it in Randoms: no.  Will I keep it: yes, for scenarios or other events in the future.

Asym, I guess that it's a matter of skill and confidence.  I have no problem taking the T6 Guepard into randoms.  The trick with these DDs is to understand that they need to be played a bit different from other DDs.  Oh, if you get a little lucky and find a situation where you can sit behind an island and shoot unspotted, absolutely take it.  But there'll also be times when you want to try to stealth torp (assuming that you've got a CE trained captain, and perhaps the concealment module on a tier 8+ French DD), since their torps hit pretty hard and shouldn't be ignored.  They're also good for ambushing enemy DDs.  I think that the best way to do this is if you have a stealthier friendly DD with you who spots an enemy DD and you're close enough to engage that enemy DD, do so.  And use your reload booster to try to blow that enemy DD away before he can smoke up or run away.

It does take some adjusting to the lack of smoke, but once you do, the French DDs are completely playable and can be quite effective and rewarding.  The thing is that their "different play style" isn't so enormously different that it's obvious what you need to do.  It's more a case of a number of small and somewhat subtle adjustments, rather than grossly obviously ones.

[PVE]
Members
4,274 posts
18,658 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Asym, I guess that it's a matter of skill and confidence.  I have no problem taking the T6 Guepard into randoms.  The trick with these DDs is to understand that they need to be played a bit different from other DDs.  Oh, if you get a little lucky and find a situation where you can sit behind an island and shoot unspotted, absolutely take it.  But there'll also be times when you want to try to stealth torp (assuming that you've got a CE trained captain, and perhaps the concealment module on a tier 8+ French DD), since their torps hit pretty hard and shouldn't be ignored.  They're also good for ambushing enemy DDs.  I think that the best way to do this is if you have a stealthier friendly DD with you who spots an enemy DD and you're close enough to engage that enemy DD, do so.  And use your reload booster to try to blow that enemy DD away before he can smoke up or run away.

It does take some adjusting to the lack of smoke, but once you do, the French DDs are completely playable and can be quite effective and rewarding.  The thing is that their "different play style" isn't so enormously different that it's obvious what you need to do.  It's more a case of a number of small and somewhat subtle adjustments, rather than grossly obviously ones.

I agree.  I made it work by doing what you just said....  On a side note, I received a premium crate yesterday, out of the blue that I have no idea where it came from, or why I received it: and, that crate gave me the Tier 6 mission??  I ran the replay where I received the crate after the match and sent a copy to the Clan for review because I have nothing in notifications showing that crate was issued ????  A premium crate no less.....  Talk about strange.....  Not a gift because if was right after the COOP battle?  I didn't have any active missions that would have yielded a premium crate?  My Doubloon count hasn't changed?   Thoughts?  A bug of some sort???

Anyway, they are unique DD's and I produced a lot of "gotcha" kills and survived almost all encounters with enemy DD's in caps.........

If I can run these DD's and produce "value", anyone can.  I flew one credit flag per mission.  Now, I finish the US and Russian stuff over the next three days and take on Phase 4......

[RCNW3]
Members
1,923 posts
19,123 battles

Not a huge fan, have the tier 5 to 7 (and a Le Terrible).  Tier 7, shells are more “floaty” then the US 127s, so landing hits at distance can be an issues (long range DD battles are not advised).  I have been tiered up a lot into tier 8 and 9 games, and speed is not a great defense against higher tier ships, engine gets knocked out a bit, so only hit repair if your REALLY need it.  Sits high (big target), so eats a lot of shells.     Not a keeper in my book

[SALVO]
Members
24,834 posts
25,917 battles
1 minute ago, Asym_KS said:

I agree.  I made it work by doing what you just said....  On a side note, I received a premium crate yesterday, out of the blue that I have no idea where it came from, or why I received it: and, that crate gave me the Tier 6 mission??  I ran the replay where I received the crate after the match and sent a copy to the Clan for review because I have nothing in notifications showing that crate was issued ????  A premium crate no less.....  Talk about strange.....  Not a gift because if was right after the COOP battle?  I didn't have any active missions that would have yielded a premium crate?  My Doubloon count hasn't changed?   Thoughts?  A bug of some sort???

Anyway, they are unique DD's and I produced a lot of "gotcha" kills and survived almost all encounters with enemy DD's in caps.........

If I can run these DD's and produce "value", anyone can.  I flew one credit flag per mission.  Now, I finish the US and Russian stuff over the next three days and take on Phase 4......

I think that this may be the final day of the Daily Supply drops, and IIRC, the final supply drop was a premium crate.

[SALVO]
Members
24,834 posts
25,917 battles
28 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

For what it's worth, I was able to complete like 4 of the credit tasks yesterday.  2 of them were already about half completed.  And the other 2 I fully completed running both Zulu and Wyvern flags on my ships during clan battles.  I was getting around 1.2-1.3M credits in a win and around 6.5M or so credits in a loss.  I wasn't expecting to even go after the PanAsian task, but I did it with my Lo Yang this way.  And also my Russian credit task, IIRC.  It was a VERY good night for me on this front.  And I will complete the final task today, since I have less than 100k credits left to go on the RN task, I think.  

• Cool 1

Members
837 posts
5,808 battles

I love them. I guess all DDs are assassins but French use speed vs stealth. It makes for a really exciting style of play. People saying they’re just gun boats have it all wrong. Mogador can vaporize distracted cruisers up close with AP. Sneak attacking camping BBs is no problem when cruising at 54 knots and fantastic forward facing torps. Dropping all 10 while facing forward is a huge deal that I think is understated. In a slower ship it’d still be dangerous but with the fastest ships in the game it’s down right devastating. The guns are strong but ambushes are my money makers. Low health and isolated targets are what these ships excel at. I’ve already stacked 260k xp on my Mogador and can’t wait for the Kleber.

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,749 battles
42 minutes ago, Crucis said:

From my experience, you can do some open water work with the French DDs, but I wouldn't really suggest spending minutes on end doing it.  It's better to wait until you have some enemy BB whose guns are aimed in another direction and maybe any nearby friends of his are otherwise occupied, and then fire off a few volleys to try to start a fire and get a little damage, before going guns silent and going dark.

That's pretty much what I do. Jump the unwary. Open water works but you have to be careful around ships like Soviet and IJN cruisers with fast shell flight times. Soviet shells are faster but they are usually small shells and don't hit that hard individually. IJN HE shells are a bit slower but they hit quite hard. Thankfully most of the IJN CAs have slow reloads at high tiers. 6" Mogami should be an exception but I haven't faced one yet. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,479 posts

I only have Jaguar and Siroco, but I love them!  It's a different, but rather exciting playstyle.  I rarely miss the smoke.     Kind of a hybrid between a small CL and a Podvoisky.  (I rarely use the smoke on that ship, either.)

Hunting DD's and BB's works the best.  Cruisers, you're best off waiting until you have help- if for no other reason than to give them someone other than you to shoot at, lol.   Island ambushes or open water, I've had luck at both.

Now, these are both tier 5's, and those games aren't necessarily filled with ships that make life horribly difficult for a DD. (Atlanta excepted, but no DD fares well vs that one)  The higher tier ones will undoubtedly require more care and consideration- CL's with a million guns and a ridiculous RoF become extremely common up there.

The main thing, though, is that you HAVE to adjust your DD playstyle to get the most out of them.   These are not your typical smoke spamming, cap contesting, etc DD's.  Or stealthy torpedo ninjas.   These are tiny, fast light cruisers with reload boosters and med range, hard hitting torpedoes.   Or put another way:  An adrenaline junkie's dream, lol.   The Soviet gunboat playstyle comes closest, but not quite.

One thing I like to do, is to use my guns to goad a BB into charging me  (bots, so that's pretty easy, lol).  Then take advantage of the fact that it's turrets haven't a prayer of keeping up with me when close, to torp it's butt.   Getting them to chase you around an island is even better.   You can dispose of the odd cruiser that way, too- if you encounter one aggressive enough to chase you.    Rather than using smoke to set an ambush, use terrain, distraction and speed to close to deadly range.   Shooting other DD's to pieces is also a very pleasurable pastime in these!  (So is the Soviet DD pastime of pew pewing the crap out of a BB who's busy fighting someone else, lol)

I've had less luck with my Le Terrible,  but then tier 8 is not very healthy for gunboat DD's anyway...   (which is why I gravitated to Ognevoi, rather than Kiev)

[TIGRB]
Members
860 posts
16,520 battles

I get constant flak for not capping at beginning of game. I tell them French DD has bad concelment and no smoke. They say to bad,,my problem,,play different ship. Not fun at all.

Members
837 posts
5,808 battles
6 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

I get constant flak for not capping at beginning of game. I tell them French DD has bad concelment and no smoke. They say to bad,,my problem,,play different ship. Not fun at all.

It’s not really your problem is it? They’re great spotters which is what the focus with these should be early. Players in the know will be excited to have one of the most powerful DDs on their team if you’re T8 or above. Early on they can cap with cover or cap easily late game. Their speed allows them to quickly switch flanks and makes them hard to hit as well as lay ambushes. Mogador can get up to 54.4 knots and has 10 rapid reloading torps that travel at 75knots!!

[SIM]
Members
4,936 posts
8,014 battles

I enjoy them, but I’m really struggling with them. Then again, I seem to be struggling with all of my ships this week, so...

[WOLFC]
Members
2,881 posts
16,341 battles

Well, the torpedo buff really helped the Aigle out a lot ... it's almost enjoyable to play now.  But I can't speak to the others yet.  :fish_nerv:

[-AGW-]
Members
980 posts
13,569 battles

So far the only one I got to try was Jaguar (T5) and I was pleasantly surprised. I will say it probably needs a 10 pointer to get the extra concealment. Going dark is a thing this boat must do frequently.

The guns are a little anemic, but the torps are solid and long ranging. With the speed boost it will go nearly 45 kn so there was no need for a speed flag. 

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
22,104 battles

Really hilarious when my Mogador shows up a couple minutes into the game BEHIND a group of sessile enemy BBs. 

Dont do this much, but on some maps it works. 

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
341 posts
3 hours ago, Dareios said:

I'll tell you once one of the damn things drops for me.

Likewise. Not a single mission from all of the free crates currently available. I like my Aigle, but that doesn't count as a French DD for this event, despite being a French DD, so... dunno? Look forward to giving them a try when they're released into the tech tree, because the drop rate on the limited number of free crates I can earn appear to be appalling enough that I could quite possibly never get a chance to participate in the main focus of the event. So that's cool.