Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jan_Barrt

Rudder shift keys locked

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
6 posts

I have a long term problem I didn't think was a problem.  When I press and release a rudder shift key A or D my ships continue to turn.  The game says ithe ship returns to neutral once the keys are released, its called directional stability..

This problem predates the recent issue involving auto piliot.  I have used different keyboards, I have remapped the keys and I have had no success.  Any suggestions?  I am tired of sailing in circles while I am in a brawl and my focus is not on the rudder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,379 posts
6,789 battles
48 minutes ago, Jan_Barrt said:

I have a long term problem I didn't think was a problem.  When I press and release a rudder shift key A or D my ships continue to turn.  The game says ithe ship returns to neutral once the keys are released, its called directional stability..

This problem predates the recent issue involving auto piliot.  I have used different keyboards, I have remapped the keys and I have had no success.  Any suggestions?  I am tired of sailing in circles while I am in a brawl and my focus is not on the rudder.

The rudder can be set and stay there using the A and D keys.  They don't auto go back to straight.  The only time they do is only when if you used the Q and E keys.  Q and E keys tapped once turn the rudder 50% and if double tapped 100%.   If you did that THEN you hit the A and E keys they go back to neutral or straight.

 

BIG FAT CORRECTION on MY PART!

I retract what I wrote here..as I usually have my fingers pressed on the A and D keys....When they are NOT pressed the A and D keys DO AUTO CENTER themselves!

Because the indicator autofades out I NEVER noticed it auto centers when the fingers are NOT touching...ALL these years I have been playing my fingers are almost all ways on the A or D key.....Profuse APOLOGIES!

Edited by dionkraft
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
886
[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles

Hey Captains,

We know about this issue (Q/E sometimes behave weirdly and do not set the steering to the middle) and we've already prepared the fix. But as this bug is related to game logic, it is not recommended to "hot-fix" it at once, due to very high technical risks.

Thus we're going to release it with the closest major planned update where the proper integration and testing is possible atm - 0.8.7.

Currently the only known way to mitigate this bug is using A/D instead of Q/E in the proximity of the islands.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and we will squish this very soon.

Cheers!

That post was made yesterday by @Kami

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,499
[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts
4 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

The rudder can be set and stay there using the A and D keys.  They don't auto go back to straight.  The only time they do is only when if you used the Q and E keys.  Q and E keys tapped once turn the rudder 50% and if double tapped 100%.   If you did that THEN you hit the A and E keys they go back to neutral or straight.

Odd, my A and D key always return to center....:Smile_glasses: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
886
[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

Odd, my A and D key always return to center....:Smile_glasses: 

yeah I was just about to say the same, he's got them mixed up with the Q and E keys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,499
[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts
Just now, SpudZero said:

yeah I was just about to say the same, he's got them mixed up with the Q and E keys.

Happens, but what the OP is describing shouldn't happen. The indicator is returning, but the ship is still turning, if I understood that right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
886
[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles

Yep, actually never heard of that one before to be honest @awiggin

@Jan_Barrt, you should probably file a ticket with support, they may ask you to run a test and send them a file to check things out.

https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/19498/

There is a tool you can use to check the game itself.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,499
[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts
4 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

Yep, actually never heard of that one before to be honest @awiggin

@Jan_Barrt, you should probably file a ticket with support, they may ask you to run a test and send them a file to check things out.

https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/19498/

There is a tool you can use to check the game itself.

Good luck!

Same, new one to me too. Unless he has collision avoidance on, and it's acting up.

He might try deleting his preferences.xml but then he'd have to redo all his settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6 posts
3 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

Yep, actually never heard of that one before to be honest @awiggin

@Jan_Barrt, you should probably file a ticket with support, they may ask you to run a test and send them a file to check things out.

https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/19498/

There is a tool you can use to check the game itself.

Good luck!

I have already sent in a ticket with the supporting files (WGCheck and a sample replay.  Their reply is similar to the post from SPUDZero above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
886
[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles

@Jan_Barrt, this can't be happening every game? you already would of lost your mind, I know I would have.
So something must be triggering it. what OS are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6 posts
25 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

The rudder can be set and stay there using the A and D keys.  They don't auto go back to straight.  The only time they do is only when if you used the Q and E keys.  Q and E keys tapped once turn the rudder 50% and if double tapped 100%.   If you did that THEN you hit the A and E keys they go back to neutral or straight.

I just tried that in a training room.  Q and E cause the ship to turn when pressed and and return when relased.  A or D after pressing and releasing Q or E still stay locked when released.  The  indicator accurately reflect the change in direction in all cases.

It seems that these keys are reveresed.  According to WOWS video on Navigation A and D return to Zero when released.  Thank you doinkraft for the workaround.  Hopefully WOWS will fix the issue in the near future 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6 posts
5 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

@Jan_Barrt, this can't be happening every game? you already would of lost your mind, I know I would have.
So something must be triggering it. what OS are you using?

Yep. Every game.  I just thought I  had to work harder to monitor every move.  Didn't know it was a bug.  I searched the forums multiple times with no sucess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
886
[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles
4 minutes ago, Jan_Barrt said:

I just tried that in a training room.  Q and E cause the ship to turn when pressed and and return when relased.  A or D after pressing and releasing Q or E still stay locked when released.  The  indicator accurately reflect the change in direction in all cases.

The issue looks to be your key mapping, and perhaps not a bug.

Are your key's set up like this...

 

keys.jpg.e7e09008a5f8206e14765cd8ce6940c0.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,379 posts
6,789 battles
36 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Odd, my A and D key always return to center....:Smile_glasses: 

My BAD...I always play with my fingers on the A or D key (to zig zag) so I ASSUMED they stay in that position but I was wrong !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,379 posts
6,789 battles
13 minutes ago, Jan_Barrt said:

I just tried that in a training room.  Q and E cause the ship to turn when pressed and and return when relased.  A or D after pressing and releasing Q or E still stay locked when released.  The  indicator accurately reflect the change in direction in all cases.

It seems that these keys are reveresed.  According to WOWS video on Navigation A and D return to Zero when released.  Thank you doinkraft for the workaround.  Hopefully WOWS will fix the issue in the near future 

I just did a quick CO-OP battle to see what I wrote was really correct as I had always thought that it was...well......I see now I was wrong.  The A and D keys - when pressed - go to the rudder position UNTIL they are unpressed then they go back to neutral...I NEVER noticed this as that indicator autofades and I never gave a 2nd thought to it...UNTIL NOW!!   LOL!   I usually keep tapping the A and D keys to a ZIG ZAG pattern unless there is no enemy ships around or I'm out in the corner of the map and there are NO ENEMIES!  But it appears it is a known bug and WOW knows about it insofar as your situation. Sorry I gave some mistaken advice!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6 posts
19 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

The issue looks to be your key mapping, and perhaps not a bug.

Are your key's set up like this...

 

keys.jpg.e7e09008a5f8206e14765cd8ce6940c0.jpg

No, cruise controll is WASD same as the default setting.  Thanks for the input.

Although, that might be an idea, so I don't have to reprogram my fingers. Which is what I am doing just now. For me using Q and E makes avoind incoming much easier.  I guess it really is "closed coures, professional drivers only" :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
886
[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles
3 minutes ago, Jan_Barrt said:

No, cruise controll is WASD same as the default setting.  Thanks for the input.

Although, that might be an idea, so I don't have to reprogram my fingers. Which is what I am doing just now. For me using Q and E makes avoind incoming much easier.  I guess it really is "closed coures, professional drivers only" :-)

Yeah, reprogramming the fingers might be more difficult.  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×