You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Edgecase

ICYMI: Regrind credit cost

53 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,338 posts
19,557 battles

Background: On 0.8.7 PTS1, resetting a line through the Research Bureau refunded all the ships in the line at full price.

New: PTS2 patch notes indicate that this was a bug, and has been corrected so that ships sell for their normal sale price (50%).

Takeaway: Each line reset will result in a net cost of 25-30m credits. The base (no bonuses) cost of Ohio and Colbert is 5.7 regrinds as currently announced. This means that, assuming no additional costs are involved, Ohio or Colbert will take six regrinds to acquire, at a credit cost of 150-180m per ship. Including WG's first-time discounts, it takes four regrinds to get the first ship, at a cost of 100m credits. These are in addition to any costs associated with actually playing the relevant ships (e.g. consumable camos, signal flags, and so on). It also does not take into account the earnings of playing through the regrind.

Extra: We do not currently know how the selling prices of ships will be affected by Clan Base structures or in-game sales. If sellback prices are reduced for items that are on credit sale (e.g. for holiday or anniversary events), you may want to avoid resetting lines during the sale so you don't suffer a lower sellback price.

Edited by Edgecase

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,644 posts
34,910 battles

Six regrinds? Seriously?

I do not know what they are drinking, other than vodka, but it must be something potent.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,100 posts
14,317 battles
2 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Six regrinds? Seriously?

There are people who already have all the ships with nowhere to go, but who are happy to chase an XP target until the end of days. They could dump a whole bunch of lines for regrinding and still be competitive in high-tier play.

This thing is for them, not for people like me who've only just got one tech-tree T10 in port.

The prize ships are vanity items. Colbert gets murdered if she's caught out of position, and Ohio is really no more powerful than the Yamato sisters. I can live without having them, just as I can live without having Stalingrad, Neustrashimy, Bourgogne or Somers.

10 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Each line reset will result in a net cost of 25-30m credits. The base (no bonuses) cost of Ohio and Colbert is 5.7 regrinds as currently announced. This means that, assuming no additional costs are involved, Ohio or Colbert will take six regrinds to acquire, at a credit cost of 150-180m per ship. Including WG's first-time discounts, it takes four regrinds to get the first ship, at a cost of 100m credits.

This will probably please the members of the Billionaire Club who are desperate for something to sink their silver into. As it stood, the regrind looked to be like the stupid investment schemes in the film "Brewster's Millions" into which he sank the money he was required to spend frivolously, only for them to actually work.

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,441 battles

Outrageous and certainly not worth it regardless of the award or any new ship. Unless it were say 1,000,000 doubloons.

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,100 posts
14,317 battles
2 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Outrageous and certainly not worth it regardless of the award or any new ship. Unless it were say 1,000,000 doubloons.

Chill out, mate. Nobody's forcing you.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[-N-]
Members
263 posts
15,717 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The prize ships are vanity items. Colbert gets murdered if she's caught out of position, and Ohio is really no more powerful than the Yamato sisters. I can live without having them

So much this. Colbert does have her reload and speed boosters to help her along, but as I've learned the hard way playing Henry IV if you're caught with either of them on cooldown, you're in trouble. Even if you're armor ISN'T made out of cheese. As for Ohio, well, if I'm smart, Montana, Conqueror and Bourgogne are all a match for Yamato and Musashi, and they have 9 18 inch guns.

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts

This isn't for anyone who is still leveling tech ships.  This is for the people who have ran out of things to do.  This is ultra end game at this point.  I have over 200 ships and I know this isn't even for me.  I have a few DD lines to level before I even look at this as an option. I personally won't melt my lines because ehf that, but for those who play alot and don't care, this is perfect for them.

Edited by Forum_Troll
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,100 posts
14,317 battles
Just now, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Ensign_Cthulhu NO! and yes I will not fall for that crap.

But nobody's asking you to fall for anything. 

If WG gave you an amount of doubloons and coal that was conveniently just enough to buy every premium ship in the Armory (that you don't already have), but with no strings attached to how it was ACTUALLY spent, would you do it? Because if you wouldn't, if you would use some of that to obtain other things that could be had for coal and doubloons, then you've demonstrated that you can take something or leave it on the basis of (dis)interest and any outrage you're feeling over this thing is pointless.

If you're that fixated on the Ohio and the Colbert, maybe you just need to ask yourself if it's worth it and quietly accept that it's not.

• Boring 1

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
681 posts
17,696 battles
6 minutes ago, Forum_Troll said:

This isn't for anyone who is still leveling tech ships.  This is for the people who have ran out of things to do.  This is ultra end game at this point.  I have over 200 ships and I know this isn't even for me.  I have a few DD lines to level before I even look at this as an option. I personally won't melt my lines because ehf that, but for those who play alot and don't care, this is perfect for them.

Maybe for some people, but the more I learn about this the less interested I become.  Even though I would really like to have the Colbert, I do not need it.

[-KAK-]
Members
585 posts
10,914 battles

Yeah..... That seals it for me. I'm not keen on losing access to my ships (Any line that I'd be willing to regrind usually means I play the T10 a fair bit), and I'm not about to grind credits for that.

If you're into it, have fun folks. I'm gonna sit here and watch.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,636 posts

The regrind system isn't for everyone. Most people, like me, haven't even ground up to tier X in most lines. In fact, the Minotaur is the only tier X I have outside the USN line. I have no interest whatsoever in regrinding the USN line. However, I can see people who might want to do so. For instance, some people may only be interested in one nation and want to collect all ships available to that it. Other people, like streamers that are not CCs who are given all the ships to test, may play enough that they have billions of credits and free XP just burning a hole in their pockets. However, for at least 83% of the player base this system is going to be useless. I'm not pulling that number out of the air either, this is the percentage of players who play a dozen or fewer games a week. I play more games than that and it took me nearly three years to grind out the USN line.

1 65710
50 10767
100 2062
150 458
200 117
250 25
300 14
350 5
400 3

Edited by Snargfargle

[USCC]
Members
3,001 posts
13,776 battles

I know I have seen posts in the past where people have said they're sitting on over a Billion credits, it's these people that can take advantage of things like this, credits to them mean almost nothing.
Though how much FXP they have may be something else, as the time alone to actually GRIND that much exp to move to the next Re-grind will be crazy!

[RCNW3]
Members
1,921 posts
19,073 battles

I take OPs comments on this as information, there is a large credit impact that people need to take into account if they wish to regrind for a couple of premiums.  It will be up to the individual if this is for them or not.  I have grinded all the lines, and am sitting on a pile of credits, but I am not interested in re-grinding, sounds too much like work, when I am just trying to enjoy the game (but again, that is just me and people can do what they like).

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,441 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu I am just interested in completing the tech trees and developing a 19 pt captain for each along with at least one for each nations premium ships since they can go from ship to ship at no cost.

I tried that regrind deal in PT 8.7 it appears to be just an enticement to empty the credit account in exchange for a pittance of another currency. 

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
990 posts
1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

Six regrinds? Seriously?

I do not know what they are drinking, other than vodka, but it must be something potent.

JP4 and a touch of tequila In the mix there .  If that doesn't cause you a headache in the morning I don't know what will.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,735 posts

NTC/RB just continues to be the "gift" that keeps on "giving" in terms of illustrating what we, as a player base, are actually dealing with.

Members
2,438 posts
5,370 battles
38 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

I know I have seen posts in the past where people have said they're sitting on over a Billion credits, it's these people that can take advantage of things like this, credits to them mean almost nothing.
Though how much FXP they have may be something else, as the time alone to actually GRIND that much exp to move to the next Re-grind will be crazy!

Must be nice having that much.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

Six regrinds? Seriously?

1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There are people who already have all the ships with nowhere to go, but who are happy to chase an XP target until the end of days. They could dump a whole bunch of lines for regrinding and still be competitive in high-tier play.

This thing is for them, not for people like me who've only just got one tech-tree T10 in port.

The prize ships are vanity items. Colbert gets murdered if she's caught out of position, and Ohio is really no more powerful than the Yamato sisters. I can live without having them, just as I can live without having Stalingrad, Neustrashimy, Bourgogne or Somers.

This will probably please the members of the Billionaire Club who are desperate for something to sink their silver into. As it stood, the regrind looked to be like the stupid investment schemes in the film "Brewster's Millions" into which he sank the money he was required to spend frivolously, only for them to actually work.

I have several lines to tier 10 and have no desire to do the grind they are offering mostly because I dislike the high tier meta and don't have to grind through that again.

26 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Ensign_Cthulhu I am just interested in completing the tech trees and developing a 19 pt captain for each along with at least one for each nations premium ships since they can go from ship to ship at no cost.

I tried that regrind deal in PT 8.7 it appears to be just an enticement to empty the credit account in exchange for a pittance of another currency. 

They won't admit it but they are expecting a fairly large minority to spend doubloons which equals real money on this.

• Cool 2

[P2W]
Members
426 posts
12,211 battles

I get that this isn't for the plebeians, but how many people are sitting on the kind of Free XP and Silver, or are willing to spend the equivalent in actual cash (I think I saw $1,200 if you were going to just buy doubloons, and I'm not sure if that includes the 100,000,000 in silver) to participate in this? Assuming that dollar price is roughly right, these ships are 15 TIMES as expensive as any other premium we've seen. 

This seems like the Acura NSX from the 1990s - great car that was supposed to be the "halo" line for all of Acura, but so much more expensive than anything else they sold that nobody wanted one. 

Edited by KaptainNemo_1

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
737 posts
3,918 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I have several lines to tier 10 and have no desire to do the grind they are offering mostly because I dislike the high tier meta and don't have to grind through that again.

They won't admit it but they are expecting a fairly large minority to spend doubloons which equals real money on this.

Iirc, when the steel snowflake thing was announced around Christmas and people where yelling at how some people could take full advantage of this by having every ship in the game with premiums Wargaming did a short statistical breakdown on how many could achieve what kind of reward, and I seem to remember only 0.4% of the players could take close to full advantage having most premium ships at which the discussion settled down. Hang on, I actually found the article that talks about that post: https://thedailybounce.net/world-of-warships/official-wargaming-response-to-steel-concerns/

I'm one of those 0.4%, and I do know others, but so far none of the ones I've talked to including myself are going to take the bait. Some will, obviously, but if Wargaming is aiming solely or mainly for that segment then that is a huge gamble and risk I do not believe, personally, will pay off. Just because one has the means doesn't mean all spending is sensible, to most. But, we'll see.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
3 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

Iirc, when the steel snowflake thing was announced around Christmas and people where yelling at how some people could take full advantage of this by having every ship in the game with premiums Wargaming did a short statistical breakdown on how many could achieve what kind of reward, and I seem to remember only 0.4% of the players could take close to full advantage having most premium ships at which the discussion settled down. Hang on, I actually found the article that talks about that post: https://thedailybounce.net/world-of-warships/official-wargaming-response-to-steel-concerns/

I'm one of those 0.4%, and I do know others, but so far none of the ones I've talked to including myself are going to take the bait. Some will, obviously, but if Wargaming is aiming solely or mainly for that segment then that is a huge gamble and risk I do not believe, personally, will pay off. Just because one has the means doesn't mean all spending is sensible, to most. But, we'll see.

My port has 234 ships so I am also part of that 0.4%. I think they are not actually aiming at the deep pockets players but they know that some of them will throw lots of money at completing the regrinds as fast as possible.

[--V--]
Members
1,417 posts
13,603 battles

I have all T10 except Russian DDs (T9), Russian BBs, (T8) and French BBs ( T8).  I rarely play these lines so will get there when I get there.

But regrinding a line 5 or 6 times for a ship?   Nah.  I'll pass.   This is for the real Try Hard/Collectors.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
737 posts
3,918 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

My port has 234 ships so I am also part of that 0.4%. I think they are not actually aiming at the deep pockets players but they know that some of them will throw lots of money at completing the regrinds as fast as possible.

I agree, but will it be enough to justify the development cost, even in the long term? I dunno. Personally I feel that they could have worked with the players to create new end-game content, credit sinks, free xp sinks and such but that's me. As credit sinks go, I actually enjoy the new upgrade equipment system over at WoWp where you use credits and components you loot after a win to upgrade your equipment, and you roll for it. Now you get both pros and cons to each roll, so you can have equipment that gives bonus to something but at the same time penalizes another aspect. Like bonus to speed, but penalizes turn rate, which makes equipment not much OP. But that's just one way. Just to reset and start over, like what is coming to WoWs, feels like taking the easy way out development wise tbh.