You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Old_Baldy_One

PSA: Opt In Mission - Battle for Savo Island

28 comments in this topic

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/yousaygoodbye-isaysavo/

Please take special note that there will be a tracking mission for progress in this event.  It will likely have some silly reward for what appears to be massive progress.  This mission is for TRACKING PURPOSES ONLY and is not intended to be completed fully.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
20 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

It will likely have some silly reward for what appears to be massive progress.

I'm wondering a number of things here:

1) Which side should I join? Probably Japan. I could happily do with an Atago or Eastern Dragon dropped into my port. Mutsu I already have, but I won't refuse the doubloons. The American ships I either already have (Indianapolis), don't need (Wichita) or actively don't want (Alaska), and the minor ship prizes (Perth, Yubari) are both already in my port, so that doesn't sway me.

2) Despite the disclaimer about the tracking missions, how long will it be before someone comes to the forums to scream in a cloud of F words about the absurdity of grinding out a billion XP to get one credit?

3) Will anyone actually complete the tracking mission just for the LULZ, if it can even remotely be done? :Smile_hiding:

Let's all get together to be in this. Newbies who've only just got their first T5 ship can still spam her in co-op and potentially win a T4 premium that would still be of use to them in line-climbing (for retraining low-tier IJN DD and CL captains), and the more players there are, the more Yubaris there will be for newbies to potentially win.

[BBMOD]
Members
348 posts
5,767 battles

I will be playing Allied side. Finished my 3M credit grind for Japan last night so I won't be playing any IJN ships for awhile. Looks like I will start the US 3M credit grind tonight to participate in this as well.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
4 minutes ago, Grimm262 said:

I will be playing Allied side. Finished my 3M credit grind for Japan last night so I won't be playing any IJN ships for awhile

Yeah. I blew through both the USN and IJN grinds in the first few days, and all I have left to go is... Germany. However, I should have that done by the weekend and then I'll pound out 20 co-op wins in Japanese ships to advance a few lines a bit while having some derpy fun. In the meantime, I've lost nothing by signing up.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
367 posts
10,405 battles

Yeah, I'll be joining the Allied side since I have a chance of getting more camo with a winning side. I like the ships available to win as well (though lol, yeah, like I have any chance of winning them) and I have to grind the US line anyways.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,456 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

don't need (Wichita)

It's the top ship in it's tier for Cruisers, although stats still may be scewed a little. I see it has been beaten by Bayard and Charles Martel now.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
588 posts
4,123 battles

The issue I saw has been fixed on the website now.  Carry on.

One thing to watch with this event since you can't change sides is that the Japanese ships are listed on the left side and the American on the right.  The buttons below that the American selection button is on the left and the Japanese selection button is on the right.  I was following the Japanese ships down the left side and clicked on the button below them, so now I'm playing the American  side of the battle for the duration of the event.  Not that it matters much, I have plenty of ships in either.

Edited by HayabusaZ
issue has been corrected.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,010 posts
22,560 battles

Thanks for the heads up Baldy! I had to join the USN side out of loyalty. Well that and I had all the IJN ships..... I suppose a bit of selfishness too. Thanks again! 

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

shot-19_08_08_10_43.33-0065.thumb.jpg.b0cf3323500c8bed57ae89d2249a1f41.jpg

Here is the mission and as I said, silly reward :)

How long until someone complains about it.  3...2...1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
23 minutes ago, HayabusaZ said:

One thing to watch with this event since you can't change sides is that the Japanese ships are listed on the left side and the American on the right.  The buttons below that the American selection button is on the left and the Japanese selection button is on the right.  I was following the Japanese ships down the left side and clicked on the button below them, so now I'm playing the American  side of the battle for the duration of the event.  Not that it matters much, I have plenty of ships in either.

The buttons are lined up right for me.  Maybe they fixed this.

Members
588 posts
4,123 battles
2 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Yes, they have, I edited my post above, thanks.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
36 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's the top ship in it's tier for Cruisers

It depends on what you need the ship for. I heard it was Baltimore with New Orleans guns and my interest waned. If I want a US heavy cruiser for captain training or anything else, I have both the Indianapolis and the Salem, both obtained for free. I fear the Wichita would just sit in port doing nothing if I won it, and strictly for myself I can't justify actually paying money for one. Better to lock that one out and give one more chance to someone who might really need it, and be in the running for ships I could and would use but don't yet have.

She was originally going to become the first US guided missile ship (for the Terrier SAM system), but for various reasons they decided the Baltimores were a better platform and went for the Boston and Canberra instead.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
60 posts
14,740 battles
19 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I clicked the "Join the Allied Navy" button, and it seemed to work, but when I refreshed the page, it now claims I joined the IJN navy. :Smile_facepalm:

Quality website programming.

Edited by xchoo

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
10 minutes ago, xchoo said:

I clicked the "Join the Allied Navy" button, and it seemed to work, but when I refreshed the page, it now claims I joined the IJN navy. :Smile_facepalm:

Look at the buttons again.  They did it a bit weird.  When I joined the Allied Navy, it changed the Join Japanese Navy to gray and the Join Allied Navy is now blue, but says "JOINED Allied Navy".

Untitled.thumb.jpg.833afbc5c5c96787d9c3f1a469cfa3c2.jpg

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,256 posts
16,089 battles
16 minutes ago, xchoo said:

I just tried this myself a few minutes ago, and was issued the US tracking missions. 

Can you verify in game by looking at your personal missions to see which ships you received?

Should look like:

image.png

[-KAK-]
Members
584 posts
10,870 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

2) Despite the disclaimer about the tracking missions, how long will it be before someone comes to the forums to scream in a cloud of F words about the absurdity of grinding out a billion XP to get one credit?

Not long enough it seems.

Members
60 posts
14,740 battles
5 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

I just tried this myself a few minutes ago, and was issued the US tracking missions. 

Can you verify in game by looking at your personal missions to see which ships you received?

Should look like:

image.png

Hmmm. I seemed to have been issued the right personal missions:

image.thumb.png.5b1b503fb4fec82fd9bbc7f3c0c72cbd.png

But the website says this: :Smile_veryhappy:

image.thumb.png.1c163de09a1410b2142ced848445c620.png

You might want to get someone to double check the coding on the website. :P

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,256 posts
16,089 battles
4 minutes ago, xchoo said:

You might want to get someone to double check the coding on the website. :P

I'll nudge URLGuy about it :)

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

I think it may be time to either utilize them more, or create more subsections of missions.  I have 28 missions right now that could easily be split off to things like "Unique Upgrade Missions", "Clan Battle Missions", "Twitch Missions", Daily Missions, etc.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
14 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I think it may be time to either utilize them more, or create more subsections of missions.  I have 28 missions right now that could easily be split off to things like "Unique Upgrade Missions", "Clan Battle Missions", "Twitch Missions", Daily Missions, etc.

And make sure the Dailies are the first things you see on the far left. It's what most people are most interested in.

• Cool 1

Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

There is also a link in this article that takes you to a place to opt in for supplies for the battle

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,730 posts
11,706 battles

I like these events. It would be nice if rhey were confined to t5-8 since that's what technically participated in the great early Pacific war.

That said i will certainly be going Allied for this event. Aside a few IJN DDs, Japanese ships dont click with me.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,630 posts
11,153 battles

Gonna keep my losing streak going on these types of events.

My election to EAGLES crashed

No honor in me selecting GLORY

Might as well keep the goose egg going - IJN it is!

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
2 hours ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

Not long enough it seems.

I think @Seaneroo was being more than a little troll-ish there (in a fun way), but the Weekly WG EU stream chat was full of people saying "What is this bulltish?" in a way that makes me despair for Western Europe's future.