You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SGT_Awesome_

Player count

13 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
76 battles

Hi, I'm new to WoWS. Started three-four days ago, got myself a tier III French battleship and a tier IV cruiser. I'm dying pretty often so far, but I suppose I'm having a fair bit of fun learning not to.

Though, I keep having to wait quite long to get a match sometimes, and I've just recently been put into a 4v4 match. I feel like I could get invested into this game, and I want to--but the above worries me. Are there not a lot of players? How are your experiences with matchmaking times and team lineups? Just some insight will do.

Thanks, guys. Hope to get up to tier VII at least soon enough and see if the game's for me.

[F4E]
Members
146 posts
5,115 battles

Welcome to the game!

I believe you are in protected match making right now as you are new.  As I am rank 15, I wouldn't play in the same game as you as you are probably a much lower rank.  This means you are playing with a small group of players right now who are all new.  It probably means longer queue times, but it's worth it before you have to go against veteran players (imo).

It doesn't take long to reach rank 15, and then you will be playing against everyone.  I typically have no complaints about Queue times.

Good luck!

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
2,283 posts
12,269 battles
6 minutes ago, SGT_Awesome_ said:

Hi, I'm new to WoWS. Started three-four days ago, got myself a tier III French battleship and a tier IV cruiser. I'm dying pretty often so far, but I suppose I'm having a fair bit of fun learning not to.

Though, I keep having to wait quite long to get a match sometimes, and I've just recently been put into a 4v4 match. I feel like I could get invested into this game, and I want to--but the above worries me. Are there not a lot of players? How are your experiences with matchmaking times and team lineups? Just some insight will do.

Thanks, guys. Hope to get up to tier VII at least soon enough and see if the game's for me.

1 minute ago, Glamorboy said:

Welcome to the game!

I believe you are in protected match making right now as you are new.  As I am rank 15, I wouldn't play in the same game as you as you are probably a much lower rank.  This means you are playing with a small group of players right now who are all new.  It probably means longer queue times, but it's worth it before you have to go against veteran players (imo).

It doesn't take long to reach rank 15, and then you will be playing against everyone.  I typically have no complaints about Queue times.

Good luck!

To add to this, it is also morning in the week. This is the 'slow' time as some people work or are off doing other things. Things begin to pick up in the afternoon/evening and on weekends.

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,441 battles

There are plenty of players sometimes over 10000. If you are playing lower tiers in random at odd hours getting a full 12 v 12 match might be difficult. Try Co op that way you get a full 8 v 8 match but most of your team mates might be AI Bots.

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts
76 battles
9 minutes ago, Glamorboy said:

Welcome to the game!

Good luck!

Ah, gotcha, thank you all. I'll just keep playing then.

Edited by SGT_Awesome_

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
457 posts
20,259 battles

Welcome to WOWS, and to the forum as well.  You can get some great advice here, and hopefully you've found the 'New Player' sub-forum where there is also some very good instruction.

Good advice has already been given, especially playing co-op while you develop your shooting skills.

Also, enjoy the lower tiers while you are new..  There are some fun ships at Tiers 4 and 5, spend some time in the ones you like and learn to position and shoot before playing with the big boys.

Good luck!

Edited by Joe_918145
typo
  • Cool 1

Members
6 posts
76 battles
10 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

Welcome to WOWS, and to the forum as well.  You can get some great advice here, and hopefully you've found the 'New Player' sub-forum where there is also some very good instruction.

Good advice has already been given, especially playing co-op while you develop your shooting skills.

Also, enjoy the lower tiers while you are new..  There are some fun ships at Tiers 4 and 5, spend some time in the ones you like and learn to position and shoot before playing with the big boys.

Good luck!

Yeah, I had a look at Kami's guides. Learned things like not to use the repair party as soon as you start burning. Aside from that though, I just gotta get used to the game in contrast to WoT.

Members
6 posts
76 battles
46 minutes ago, Glamorboy said:

Welcome to the game!

Good luck!

You don't mean the ranked battles, do you? I don't see any ranks anywhere, other than the unlocks for reaching a certain number of battles.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,644 posts
34,917 battles

No he does not mean Ranked battles. That's higher up the chain.

What he meant to say is Level 15 which is currently the highest level to be attained. This only denotes the number of battles and experience. You have not played enough yet.  Once you go up in Levels different options open up for you, like signal flags that give benefits, ability to mount and change captains with special abilities that you set for them, etc.

Check the WOWS Wiki for more info:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

They have many entries. Here is the one explaining Player Levels:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Account_Level

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

Members
6 posts
76 battles
4 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

No he does not mean Ranked battles. That's higher up the chain.

What he meant to say is Level 15 which is currently the highest level to be attained. This only denotes the number of battles and experience. Once you go up in Levels different options open up for you, like signal flags that give benefiots, ability to mount and change captains with special abilities that you set for them, etc.

I see it now. 15 features in total to unlock, I've got 115 battles to go. Thanks, that helps a ton.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
2,283 posts
12,269 battles
7 minutes ago, SGT_Awesome_ said:

You don't mean the ranked battles, do you? I don't see any ranks anywhere, other than the unlocks for reaching a certain number of battles.

click on your user name while in port.

One of the section shown is your current level. It should show what things are available to you as you reach various levels.

(I'd give you a screenshot but I am at work)

For Example, at your current level the option to join a clan isn't available, nor can you play in the scenarios (course you'd need a ship of that tier anyway...but)

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,890 posts
17,938 battles

Not only are you in protected match making, but you are in protected match making at T3 & T4!  Most new players get their ears wet at T1 and T2.  You should find many more players in protected match making at those tiers.  Most players, by the time they graduate to T3 and T4 are already in the general population match making.

Suffice to say, once you breach the protected match making mode and run T3 and T4 in a Random game, get ready for a big surprise.  You won't wait very long for a match...sometimes, it's instant MM.  There will be 12 people per side.  

Don't want to scare you.  Just be ready for it.

And most importantly...have fun.  I consider T4 and below to be learning tiers and won't rag on you for doing something poorly.  You learn by messing up, figuring out what does (or does not work), adjust, and repeat.  I would caution on moving too fast up the tiers.  Lots to learn in the learning tiers, and if you move up too fast, it can be very frustrating.  

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Members
6 posts
76 battles
2 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Not only are you in protected match making, but you are in protected match making at T3 & T4!  Most new players get their ears wet at T1 and T2.  You should find many more players in protected match making at those tiers.  Most players, by the time they graduate to T3 and T4 are already in the general population match making.

Suffice to say, once you breach the protected match making mode and run T3 and T4 in a Random game, get ready for a big surprise.  You won't wait very long for a match...sometimes, it's instant MM.  There will be 12 people per side.  

Don't want to scare you.  Just be ready for it.

And most importantly...have fun.  I consider T4 and below to be learning tiers and won't rag on you for doing something poorly.  You learn by messing up, figuring out what does (or does not work), adjust, and repeat.  I would caution on moving too fast up the tiers.  Lots to learn in the learning tiers, and if you move up too fast, it can be very frustrating.  

Yeah, that was the exact mistake I made in WoT 7-ish years ago. I'll take my time. Thanks.