You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
thehelmsman

Le Fantasque vs Le Terrible

22 comments in this topic

[GC]
Alpha Tester
821 posts
3,959 battles

I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping the tech tree ship as compared to the premium. Obviously LeF ship has better torpedoes, but on a run-and-gun DD, that's hardly a significant factor for me. It feels like LeF has better gun angles as well, which IS a significant factor, but it's tough to be sure based on my limited experience with these ships. What are everyone's thoughts?

--Helms

[-FOX-]
Beta Testers
73 posts
3,449 battles

I have played both ships on a Co-op gameplay level and a feel like the Fantastic is a better ship compared to Terrible ship.  The names says it all :P

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[ARCO]
Members
833 posts
1,294 battles

I had the same question, normally in those case I keep both if dirrerences are important (as Leningrad-Minsk)

I am not sure if Terrible has the superAP of Fantasque.

French are so proud of Le Terrible it is nowadays a Nuclear deterrent submarine

1920px-S619.Le_Terrible.wmt.jpg

[FEM]
Supertester
275 posts
8,880 battles

Okay here are the differences:

Range: Le Fantasque has 750m more base range (that's a big advantage)
Torpedoes: Le Fantasque has faster torps, but they have worse detection (reaction time) and reload slower, damage and range are identical (I honestly give the advantage to Terrible here)
Concealment: Le Fantasque is slightly better in that regard by ~300m (technically advantage LF but in practise the differecne doesn't matter at all)
AA: Le Fantasque has better AA but it's still so bad that it doesn't matter (advantage LF if you want to call it one)
Firing angles: Le Fantasque has slightly better angles on the Y turret, Le Terrible is better on the X turret (overall it's pretty close and both ships are not great in that regard)
Speed: Le Terrible is just a little bit faster (pretty much neglible)
HP: Le Terrible has 100 HP more (again very slim advantage but then again on a DD without any defensive tools besides speed and HP every bit matters)
Reload: Le Terrible has the massive advantage here. A whole second faster reload on the guns is huge

It basically comes down to the first and the last point on that list as those are the major ones. Do you want more range or better DPM?

Personally I'd say IF you already have the Le Terrible there is almost 0 reason to keep the Le Fantasque and have a commander trained for it.
You could just use your Mogador or Kléber commander on the Le Terrible and be very happy.
However if you don't have the premium ship there is also very little incentive to get it as the tech tree version is so similar and you could just play that and save your money.

Edited by tmGrunty
  • Cool 5

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,214 battles

Still a low number of LF battles but it is trouncing LT in the stats. Significantly better WR, better damage and it actually shoots down some aircraft. Interesting to see if that continues. 

[GC]
Alpha Tester
821 posts
3,959 battles
On 8/8/2019 at 6:21 AM, tmGrunty said:

Torpedoes: Le Fantasque has faster torps, but they have worse detection (reaction time) and reload slower, damage and range are identical (I honestly give the advantage to Terrible here)
Concealment: Le Fantasque is slightly better in that regard by ~300m (technically advantage LF but in practise the differecne doesn't matter at all)
AA: Le Fantasque has better AA but it's still so bad that it doesn't matter (advantage LF if you want to call it one)
Firing angles: Le Fantasque has slightly better angles on the Y turret, Le Terrible is better on the X turret (overall it's pretty close and both ships are not great in that regard)
HP: Le Terrible has 100 HP more (again very slim advantage but then again on a DD without any defensive tools besides speed and HP every bit matters)
Reload: Le Terrible has the massive advantage here. A whole second faster reload on the guns is huge

It basically comes down to the first and the last point on that list as those are the major ones. Do you want more range or better DPM?

Personally I'd say IF you already have the Le Terrible there is almost 0 reason to keep the Le Fantasque and have a commander trained for it.
You could just use your Mogador or Kléber commander on the Le Terrible and be very happy.
However if you don't have the premium ship there is also very little incentive to get it as the tech tree version is so similar and you could just play that and save your money.

This is precisely what I needed. Good deal. Thanks!

--Helms

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles
On 8/8/2019 at 6:46 AM, Patosentado said:

I had the same question, normally in those case I keep both if dirrerences are important (as Leningrad-Minsk)

I am not sure if Terrible has the superAP of Fantasque.

French are so proud of Le Terrible it is nowadays a Nuclear deterrent submarine

Yup, Le Terrible has the same exact guns. In fact, the high tier French DDs have their guns modeled after that on Le Terrible.

I look Le Terrible more of a pure gunboat, whereas Le Fantasque more as a torpedo hybrid due to those incredibly scary fish.

• Cool 2

[EMAG]
Members
154 posts
3,040 battles

BTW, Le Terrible speed was exceeded by various nuclear powered ships.  Of course the speed is classified. 

[ARCO]
Members
833 posts
1,294 battles

I had Terrible since last buff.

Had recently grinded FAntasque, expecting good results, as I had already the experience in Terrible... but not at all.

Sometimes I have a "damned" ship, that gets into 5 enemies, is detected all time, spotted and attacked by the CV and with disaster guns accuracy (despite being the same) and I got those results:

Overall (I sold Fantasque, wont suffer any more)

q7IQZJ.png

This week, almost consecutive battles. Once I got in 1 Terrible battles the same damage as in the 5 previous in Fantasque:

7FCEcs.png

[SPTR]
Members
27,146 posts
16,403 battles

from what I hear Terrible's fantasque & Fantasque's terrible, it ship is as good as the other sistership's name

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,258 posts

I ran into a Le Terrible in Le Fantasque yesterday on North in a random. He ran off to hide after I shredded him to 1600 HP. No torps, just guns.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
460 posts
9,151 battles

Don't have Le Terrible but have finally gotten to Le Fantasque and can't stop playing it. It is the most fun that I have had in any ship. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, this is a tremendous torpedo boat. You have to learn when to release but the amazing forward angle of the front launchers combined with their stupid fast speed make them  deadly. Best attacks are vs ships that are approaching. You really have to learn when to launch as the window is small but 20 or 30 games will do the trick.  There is a learning curve on the French DDs but once you get the hang of it they are the deadliest. My average damage per game in Le Fantasque is higher than any other ship I play or played-all classes. At first the lack of smoke is intimidating but learning to play a DD without smoke has actually helped me play all of my DDs better. Smoke can be a crutch at times. The combination of ridiculous speed. (60 MPH) and the rapid reload consumable more than compensates for the lack of smoke.  And with the B hull Fantasque has one of the best average AA kill ratios in the tier VIII DD class (look it up).  Get caught alone and focused by a CV and your life is over, but that is the case with any DD. 

• Cool 1

Members
9 posts
14,500 battles
On 8/8/2019 at 9:21 PM, tmGrunty said:

Yes all your points are valid, however Torps have the same speed and range, so the detection of the Fantasque is vital when it comes down to silent torping.  If you are detected then it is too late you need to guess and hope for the best.   I find Fantasque a better ship, and i feel that 200 meters is a godsend when going silent.

See below vs T10 Matchup.

Le Fantasque damage.JPG

Edited by BurntOut_Koalas

[ARCO]
Members
833 posts
1,294 battles

In recent duel rankeds I used only Fantasque and Terrible, with similar overall results, but Terrible performed better against BBs due to HP (I used mainly Snackbar torpedo attacks) and Fantasque better against CVs. Once I put 46planes down and won by CAP points.

Members
1,057 posts
4,376 battles

One more key thing to note of between the Fantasque and the Terrible is that the Fantasque gets the arbitrary saturation gimmick, whereas the Terrible doesn't.

-Shrayes

• Haha 1

[META_]
Members
1,238 posts
16,090 battles

I Play both lefantique and le terrible.... I post videos here and on YouTube Meta_man2002 lefantique has better aa, faster torps but that doesn't matter how I play her... I like the le terrible guns a little better and lefantique has point 2 better concealment.... Both are really strong wows stats page has lefantique as the #1 server winrate and le terrible as last place, lol..... Close to same ship except aa... Neither is weak at all. 

Screenshot_20200712-183114.png

Members
708 posts
5,735 battles
On 7/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, Patosentado said:

Is that an app? Can you name it?

I think it is WoWS Community Assistant, though I can no longer find it listed on the Google Play store.  There is another app called WoWS Assistant which appears to have similar functionality but looks a bit different.  No idea if these are available for iOS phones.

• Cool 1