You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MuricanClassBattleship

Suggestion: Team Deathmatch Game Mode

19 comments in this topic

Members
156 posts
3,293 battles

I'm sure this has been brought up quite a lot, but I couldn't find much on it. Why hasn't WG tried adding a "Team Deathmatch" game mode? If you don't know what that is, it is basically whoever kills all the enemy ships first wins. They could make it so whoever has more players left on their team when the timer runs out, wins. I feel like it would be a nice change of pace from the objective modes we currently have. It could work decent with the current maps in the game as well, maybe even more so. It would encourage players to really be aggressive, leading to more exciting games. It's a simple game mode too, so it is fairly easy to implement. What do you guys think?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,520 posts
3 minutes ago, MuricanClassBattleship said:

I'm sure this has been brought up quite a lot, but I couldn't find much on it. Why hasn't WG tried adding a "Team Deathmatch" game mode? If you don't know what that is, it is basically whoever kills all the enemy ships first wins.

Am I missing something here or isn't that what we already have?

You can win in one of two ways.  Win by points, win by kill all the enemies.

Members
156 posts
3,293 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

Am I missing something here or isn't that what we already have?

You can win in one of two ways.  Win by points, win by kill all the enemies.

Yes, but in domination and epicenter you can also win by capping. Having a team deathmatch mode eliminates that, so your only way of winning is by focusing and killing enemy ships. Just another idea to broaden the spectrum of game modes we have.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,134 posts
4,985 battles
1 minute ago, MuricanClassBattleship said:

Yes, but in domination and epicenter you can also win by capping. Having a team deathmatch mode eliminates that, so your only way of winning is by focusing and killing enemy ships. Just another idea to broaden the spectrum of game modes we have.

A1 Shimas would kill the fun of that mode instantly. Nobody wants to blow an extra 5 minutes chasing one person who refuses to give up. 

Now introduce a circular moving map border... and things might start to get interesting. Start on one side of the map, and players have to follow the border. Think storm fronts but you cant go outside the storm circle. 

Just an idea for your idea:Smile-_tongue:

[A-D-F]
7,520 posts
8 minutes ago, MuricanClassBattleship said:

I see.

I think the issue is that often the games would be drawn out as long as possible by the last DD on the losing teaming running to a corner and hiding.  The caps get around that by giving the winning team the option of completely ignoring that player and just capping to end the game.

You can ignore the caps and still win by killing all the ships, but they can serve to end the game when it has already been won yet a player is just going to go hide and run out the clock for...."fun".

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
12 minutes ago, MuricanClassBattleship said:

I'm sure this has been brought up quite a lot, but I couldn't find much on it. Why hasn't WG tried adding a "Team Deathmatch" game mode? If you don't know what that is, it is basically whoever kills all the enemy ships first wins. They could make it so whoever has more players left on their team when the timer runs out, wins. I feel like it would be a nice change of pace from the objective modes we currently have. It could work decent with the current maps in the game as well, maybe even more so. It would encourage players to really be aggressive, leading to more exciting games. It's a simple game mode too, so it is fairly easy to implement. What do you guys think?

So, basically Standard Battles, but no base caps? This has potential. 

I would suggest that this game mode should have small-medium size maps, to prevent players from camping at the back. Or implement the decreasing border thing in Savage Battles.

Members
156 posts
3,293 battles
Just now, _1204_ said:

A1 Shimas would kill the fun of that mode instantly. Nobody wants to blow an extra 5 minutes chasing one person who refuses to give up. 

Now introduce a circular moving map border... and things might start to get interesting. Start on one side of the map, and players have to follow the border. Think storm fronts but you cant go outside the storm circle. 

Just an idea for your idea:Smile-_tongue:

I like that idea. That reminds me of something else that could work. I have seen some other games do it before, and it works well.  Make it so every 5 minutes in the game the map border shrinks, and if you are beyond it, you take damage. It would alleviate that problem of the fun bombing Shimakaze as they would be forced to get closer to the enemy as the game nears the end. Also would increase the pace of the battle as the timer runs on.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,117 posts
18,970 battles
8 minutes ago, MuricanClassBattleship said:

Why would we want that? What fun is there in chasing one last teensy tiny destroyer across half the map twice for 10 minutes because you can't force him into action by capping?

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[PIMPS]
Members
1,493 posts

So like rogue wave but including all ships? Even Carriers?

[A-D-F]
7,520 posts
Just now, MuricanClassBattleship said:

I like that idea. That reminds me of something else that could work. I have seen some other games do it before, and it works well.  Make it so every 5 minutes in the game the map border shrinks, and if you are beyond it, you take damage. It would alleviate that problem of the fun bombing Shimakaze as they would be forced to get closer to the enemy as the game nears the end. Also would increase the pace of the battle as the timer runs on.

The did exactly this in the last event with the benham.

[PIMPS]
Members
1,493 posts

All they need to do is add the ring of fire from rogue wave and that solves any camping problem in a match.

[HINON]
Members
13,253 posts

Standard battles before the constant point gain were like this with players being very timid and it led to a lot of draws.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,431 battles

yes it has been suggested several times and should be implemented. So what if one has to chase one last enemy around the map. A win is a win. If only one ship per team is left and don't engage then it is a draw. 

They could also score damage dealt and the winner regardless of survivors is the team with the greater damage total.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,334 posts
19,526 battles

Both Domination and Standard Battles are just Team Deathmatch with an extra mechanism to get rid of the last 5 minutes of chasing down the last fleeing or afk ship on the enemy team.

1,063 posts

easiest way would be reveal the location of last player to everyone, no more hide lol

[WOLF3]
Members
27,038 posts
23,838 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Standard battles before the constant point gain were like this with players being very timid and it led to a lot of draws.

I remember those days.  Draws were so common that we wanted WG to stop that, and they quickly saw that issue also and tweaked it.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,766 posts
4,630 battles
4 hours ago, MuricanClassBattleship said:

Sounds to me that it's a way of limiting them.

BTW, are you familiar with the recent event deathmatches?

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

Team deathmatch requires respawns. There's no such thing as a Team Deathmatch that is sudden death. It is inherently an incompatible concept as it leads to overly stagnant play... oh wait...

But seriously, look at titles with formalized Team Deathmatch modes; that is a mode where the one and *only* objective is to kill enemy players; Halo, Call of Duty, and the like, always have respawns in THAT mode. Surely, modes like Search and Destroy, or Capture the Flag, or Highlander, may have no respawns (or a set limit), but in a pure Team Deathmatch there always are.