You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_Hf93Jbjm9WjT

Free XP and Research Bureau

68 comments in this topic

Members
4,302 posts

The proposed Research Bureau will enable players to earn a new special currency which they can spend on exclusive premium ships, by resetting and re researching tech trees.. So far, all well and good (if boring). Players will be able to limit their (re) grind by spending free xp (not a major issue, if questionable)/

The big (my) issue : players who have spent cash to unlock tech trees, either via early access loot crates, or via free xp conversion, will face a sensitive choice. Will they be willing to reset a tech tree, which they spent free xp/money on, to help unlock in the 1st place? Is it reasonable to expect players to pay twice, for the same goods and services? Would you agree to a department store sales pitch which said, strip to your underwear, burn your old clothes (which you previously bought here), and buy new clothes (here)? I wouldn't.

1. Suggestion 1 : When players choose to reset a tech tree, all free xp that had been previously invested in that tech tree, be reimbursed, as free xp, available for them to spend again.
  2. Suggestion 2 : When players choose to reset a tech tree which they unlocked via early access crates, all reset  early access ships xp values are reiumbursed as free xp, available for them to spend as they see fit.

What do you think? Bad idea, good, or mixed feelings, or please would the OP shut up? Pinging  @Gneisenau013 as saw you have dev tags these days. (

Apologies if you are not concerned by this subject)
Cheers/

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[--K--]
Members
1,342 posts
10,140 battles

I watched Flamu play around with it on the PTS and it looks like a nightmare grind.  I have zero interest in unlocking all the tiers, then winning a game in them to get the research tokens.  You’ll need 800k + free XP for each line roughly, times 4 or 5 lines... maybe more.  Stupid grindy.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,470 posts
25 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Will they be willing to reset a tech tree, which they spent free xp/money on, to help unlock in the 1st place?

Some players will absolutely not only be willing to do this, they will do it within the first 5 minutes of the NTC going live.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the new ships in matches on day 1.

These are the players who WG intends to make some money from and I don't blame WG.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,009 posts
22,560 battles

All in all I would say it is a gigantic "meh". Not interested in regrinding but imagine there are loads of players who are bored playing tier 10 and want to start that grind all over again... Five or six times............ For three long years I have seen the forums filled with requests from players asking to add more grind to the game and finally, Wargaming has complied............... 

The only good thing about NTC or whatever it is called now, is I can ignore it. The one thing I am interested in seeing is how all this got pitched and some nitwit thinking that it was a great idea that players would love..............  I have a hard time believing that not one other person in the room thought that this was a stupid idea that would be met with derision at worst, apathy at best. It is all just so pointless.

• Cool 3

[A-D-F]
7,470 posts
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

All in all I would say it is a gigantic "meh". Not interested in regrinding but imagine there are loads of players who are bored playing tier 10 and want to start that grind all over again... Five or six times............ For three long years I have seen the forums filled with requests from players asking to add more grind to the game and finally, Wargaming has complied............... 

The only good thing about NTC or whatever it is called now, is I can ignore it. The one thing I am interested in seeing is how all this got pitched and some nitwit thinking that it was a great idea that players would love..............  I have a hard time believing that not one other person in the room thought that this was a stupid idea that would be met with derision at worst, apathy at best. It is all just so pointless.

It isn't pointless.  It's point is to make WG some money, which it will accomplish.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,009 posts
22,560 battles
10 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It isn't pointless.  It's point is to make WG some money, which it will accomplish.

Well I imagine someone is stupid enough to buy their way thru it. Personally I have a better opinion of the player base and believe most will just ignore it. Maybe they are designing the game for just a few players, dunno. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,715 posts
4,630 battles
29 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Is it reasonable to expect players to pay twice, for the same goods and services?

Bzzt!  The flaw:  They are not paying again for the same thing.  This time they are paying for access to Research Points, ultimately a free ship.  And they have the choice of currency: FXP or grind.  If I had 4M FXP and 400M Cr, it would be a no-brainer.

26 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

I watched Flamu play around with it on the PTS and it looks like a nightmare grind

I did it on the PTS.  It's not bad at all.  Of course, I had the FXP and Credits to blow through it.  With that, all you need is 5 (6?) Co-op wins and you're done.  [Now do it again.]

Edited by iDuckman

[A-D-F]
7,470 posts
3 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Well I imagine someone is stupid enough to buy their way thru it. Personally I have a better opinion of the player base and believe most will just ignore it. Maybe they are designing the game for just a few players, dunno. 

I don't think those people are stupid.  I think if they want to pay their money in exchange for the item, good for them and good for WG. 

I am certainly not going to, I will likely get one but I will do it the hard way. 

A transaction between two people that agreed on it, is fine by me though.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[--K--]
Members
5,363 posts
17,341 battles

I have zero interest in regrinding any lines that lead to my fleet of Tier 10 ships. 
Because I'm sick and tired of grinding for stuff in this game and I don't want to lose access to the Tier 10 ships I worked hard to get. 

The Research Bureau can get Fun and Engaged for all I care. 

:cap_cool:

• Cool 3

Members
2,415 posts
5,339 battles
19 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Some players will absolutely not only be willing to do this, they will do it within the first 5 minutes of the NTC going live.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the new ships in matches on day 1.

These are the players who WG intends to make some money from and I don't blame WG.

Seriously. What would be the XP cost to free xp 5 lines? I dont even want to think about it.

[SIM]
Members
1,650 posts

Research B is just plain stupid. I have well over several million in free co and I will not reset my ship lines. WG just trash this idiotic idea.

[A-D-F]
7,470 posts
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Seriously. What would be the XP cost to free xp 5 lines? I dont even want to think about it.

I have no clue....a lot :Smile_hiding:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,009 posts
22,560 battles
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I don't think those people are stupid.  I think if they want to pay their money in exchange for the item, good for them and good for WG. 
I am certainly not going to, I will likely get one but I will do it the hard way. 
A transaction between two people that agreed on it, is fine by me though.

Ok, but I think it is a stupid way to spend money. Just have to wonder how many of these kinds of players there are in the game, how much money Wargaming put into designing & building the NTC, and if they will manage a profit with its inclusion..........  I don't see it happening, don't see it generating any excitement or buzz to get more players in the game, don't see it keeping players in the game, and most definitely don't understand why some WeeGee thought that quadrupling or quintupling down on the grind was some sort of cunning plan............ 

Members
2,415 posts
5,339 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Ok, but I think it is a stupid way to spend money. Just have to wonder how many of these kinds of players there are in the game, how much money Wargaming put into designing & building the NTC, and if they will manage a profit with its inclusion..........  I don't see it happening, don't see it generating any excitement or buzz to get more players in the game, don't see it keeping players in the game, and most definitely don't understand why some WeeGee thought that quadrupling or quintupling down on the grind was some sort of cunning plan............ 

There are alot of them out there. I play this free mobile game called tacticool on android. You can buy Epic Operators (soldiers) for $89.99 a piece. I have seen people with 3-4 of these guys and not including the money they spend on special camos. 

Some people literally dont care what they spend.

[A-D-F]
7,470 posts
7 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

There was the huge premium camo pack for sale a while ago in the shop.  I don't remember the exact cost but I want to say it was something like $700 for the pack.

If you did the math it was technically much cheaper than buying them all separate so I suppose it was a value if you were going to make use of all of them.   A guy started a thread that seemed serious about it and was asking questions about what would happen for the few that he already had.  WG responded and it seemed he did purchase it.  I am sure he wasn't the only one.

I am sure there are people that have 5 figures sunk into the game.

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
29 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Ah, but will it make them enough to cover the expenses of implementing it?

[A-D-F]
7,470 posts
6 minutes ago, DracoTB said:

Ah, but will it make them enough to cover the expenses of implementing it?

WG have been doing this for a very long time.  Between WOT and this game, they are not new at this.  In fact they are a very experienced developer.

They would not do it if that experience told them that they would take a loss.

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

WG have been doing this for a very long time.  Between WOT and this game, they are not new at this.  In fact they are a very experince developer. They would not do it if that experience told them that they would take a loss.

Even experienced people can make basic mistakes.

[A-D-F]
7,470 posts
6 minutes ago, DracoTB said:

Even experienced people can make basic mistakes.

For sure.

All they did though was create some new ships, just like they normally do every other patch.  They then added a new screen into the port, which they do all the time almost every event.  It isn't that big of a deal.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,086 posts
4,071 battles

I'm not sure why people are so against the Research Bureau. I personally have zero interest in regrinding lines. So I won't do it, at least not in the immediate future. But why should the fact that I don't want to do it prevent others who do? I lose nothing, so why should I care? Just because you don't want/like the idea, doesn't mean others do. And now that it's not going to give those people an advantage, who cares if some crazy people want to grind out their lines 5 times?

I've also seen people blasting WG for locking two ships behind that wall. But how is that any different from any other premium? I would like a Stalingrad. But it's behind a big Steel wall, and I don't do Clan Battles. Tough for me. I would have liked a Kron, but didn't have the FXP and wasn't willing to pay the cash to convert. I want a Mass, but don't want to pay the $$. I could theoretically get all those things if I really wanted, but it's not worth it to me. Same with Ohio and Colbert. I would like an Ohio, but I'm not willing to regrind tech trees right now for it. But if I ever decided I want to, there's the option. WG could have placed the Ohio and Colbert behind FXP or Steel paywalls, but instead they're giving them out for free if you invest the time. And yet people are complaining? Newsflash, you can't get everything you want in life.

If you don't have an interest in the NTC, fine, but don't ruin it for those who do.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,572 posts
15,619 battles

I don't have the Kremlin, yet I face it often in T10. I just learned how to fight as effective as possible against it with what I have.

What ever ship(s) is offered for the multi line regrind I will do the same.

A ship doesn't make a captain. A captain makes a ship.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,009 posts
22,560 battles
4 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

If you don't have an interest in the NTC, fine, but don't ruin it for those who do.

Not sure criticizing NTC is ruining it for anyone. Like you, I don't care although I think it is a huge waste of time and just shows how out of touch Wargaming is with its players. That bothers me and IMHO, does not bode well for the future of the game. 

I have spent quite a bit of money on the game and don't want to see it die even though we have CCs spreading that kind of conspiracy stupidity. What worries me is this kind of silliness is so wasteful and if they have people in charge thinking this is what the players want, they are clueless. 

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Members
1,342 posts
10,140 battles
5 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I don't have the Kremlin, yet I face it often in T10. I just learned how to fight as effective as possible against it with what I have.

What ever ship(s) is offered for the multi line regrind I will do the same.

A ship doesn't make a captain. A captain makes a ship.

Being at the helm of a Kremlin helps.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,009 posts
22,560 battles
28 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

WG have been doing this for a very long time.  Between WOT and this game, they are not new at this.  In fact they are a very experienced developer.

They would not do it if that experience told them that they would take a loss.

I missed this my first time around. You have more faith in them than you should. The mere fact they announced NTC with combat bonuses against almost the entire player base and CC's tells me that the person making the decisions at Wargaming needs to step down. Good companies make poor decisions at times, this IMHO is one. They need a change of direction and a change of leadership otherwise they are setting the company up for failure. 

0 posts
11 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I'm not sure why people are so against the Research Bureau. =s?

I'm not sure why none of those that reply to the OP, have bothered to read it in full. Then they would understand, it is not against the research bureau, but critical of it in its current form, and suggests improvements.